Any T.A.G.B members out there ?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by marco, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marco

marco Valued Member

:woo:

I haven't seen or heard from any T.A.G.B members on the site. What's happening with that side of things now. I'm ex-ITF from Master Rhee's academy in Glasgow and was there (in the flesh) when Dave Oliver split from that organisation and formed the T.A.G.B

A lot of talented individuals left at the time to join the new organisation.God almighty, we must be talking about 20 years ago!!!!!

Is he still the main man ? What happened to the other guys who went with him :Kenny walton, Tony Sewell, Ron Sergiew etc

Just trawling for info really......

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Not my field marco.
    Dave Oliver was on tv a couple of years ago with Ron Sergiew etc. They looked a bit wrinkly and creaky bless em.
    Kim Stones from Doncaster was also with em at one point.

Dunno, hope someone does.

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

As far as I am aware Dave Oliver and Kenny Walton are in charge of the managment and development of the Britsh TAGB team.

Last I heard i htink they were driving to push students up to WTF champs and try to get them in the national WTF team some day.

Since they are pretty much independant, I don't think the ITF split(s) have really affected them in any significant way... unless someone has other news I'm all out :(

Anything in particular you wanted to find out Marco?

4. marco

marco Valued Member

Thanks for the info Tosh....nothing really specific mate, I just remember training with some of them all those years ago. Andy was saying that they look a little bit older now and I guess that would be true as it was around 20 years ago that I saw them...but I was just a youngster of 19.

Dunno why they're trying out for the WTF stuff. They're practicing a different
    art from what I can tell. Am I the only one that thought they looked absolutely terrible in the last Olympic demo ?

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I dunno at least they are having a go at expanding, I hate the union jack Dobocks though...... bleuch! :D

Top half of Dobok is union jack pattern, along with one leg...... talk about nedding a visit from "Tranny and Susanna"! :D

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Hey I'm TAGB!

I made a thread about the south west tournament a few weeks back

it's the national's in a month or so too.

As far as I'm aware

Chairman - D. Oliver
    Vice Chairman - M. Dew
    National Secretary - D. Atkins
    Treasurer - R. Sergiew
    Liason officer - P. Donnelly
    Team Coach - K. Walton
    Area commitee members- G. Peros and B. Towndrow.

ok?

7. Stewart

Stewart Valued Member

I am also a TAGB member. The listing that Infesticon #1 looks correct to me. The TAGB was one of the founding members of Taekwondo International in 1992 with Dave Oliver as president. Taekwondo International is trying to create a non political organisation, to move away form the political problems of ITF / WTF - whether they succeed only time will tell.

Recently, I as far as I am aware, the English Team members and to a lesser extent, the Scottish Team members, have been training for WTF competitions. This is not in essence to move away from what is essentially ITF style but more to broaden the horizons of the association - tryinf to get the bost of both worlds I would assume.

PS - you were right about it being 20 years - the association celebrated its 20th anniversary last year

Hope this helps :)

8. marco

marco Valued Member

Thanks guys, good to see that the organisation is still going strong.

9. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I used to be, moved to Kempo Ryu, then PUMA, then SWIFT and then opened up my own school.

10. SamStephen

SamStephen New Member

looking for a TAGB, TI school in central London

Hi,
    My name is Sam Stephen. I have a Ist Dan in UTI Taekwondo (ITF school, University of Köln, Germany) and will be moving over to London in July. My Master A.Waalraf, had recommended any school connected with Master Dave Olliver (the style is TI /TAGB). I wonder whether anyone here knows about any TI/TAGB schools located in London.
    Thank you very much,
    Sam

11. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I got to 1st Dan with TAGB, then changed to PUMA for 2nd Dan. I used to train with Mr Towndrow quite regularly, and I had the oppurtunity to train with Mr Dew on one occasion also.

12. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Mr Sergiew was my instructor's instructor.

He does our gradings too.

That's as much as I know. :)

13. Endless

Endless Valued Member

strafio is your teacher justin kirman and tim brooks?

14. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

I ran into a poster on another board that is a former TAGB member. He is claiming that the TAGB teaches some very bad things...

1. Hyperextension of techniques. All kicks and strikes extend to the point they snap against the joint and place excessive pressure on the knee/elbow. This of course, goes against common sense... strikes should "lock" just before full extension of the kick/strike, this is created by muscle tension.

2. Techniques are performed in a tense, or rigid manner. When punching, you would tighten the muscles in the arm and blast the arm out. Instead of relying on relaxed muscles until the point of impact. He is claiming that he was taught that the tension in the muscle throughout the technique makes a stronger punch.

None of this makes sense to me... hopefully any TAGB members can shed some light on this. Was he just confused? Maybe had a bad instructor?

15. tnt

tnt New Member

Well, I'm a blue belt with the TAGB and have trained in 3-4 different clubs and with 3-4 different instructors. I have also been at the squad training quite a few times with Kenny Walton.

Anyway, I specifically remember when I was first starting the instructor telling us not to hyperextent the punches and kicks so that we don't hurt our elbows and knees.

About the muscle tension when punching... This is also a no-no cos it slows you down. This has been said in class many a times.

So, I guess what you say is probably true. He's either (very) confused or it's a case of a bad instructor... even though I find the latter hard to believe, but it's not impossible.

16. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

:)

Do I know you under a real name?

17. Endless

Endless Valued Member

No, i'm from their other school in rickmansworth. I was just wondering. I never did get why they started in Leicester and then opened up here as well. Seems a long way to go.

18. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

We've got a lot of their family and relatives here in Leicester so that would be why they started here.

As to Rickmansworth, I MIGHT be wrong but, I think that's nearer to where Justin lives.

But I see what you mean. I graded at Rickmansworth back in February and it was such a long drive! I can't imagine doing it every week. :)

19. tracyeldred1495

tracyeldred1495 New Member

TAGB Link to website

here is a link to the TAGB website if you want the latest on the association or the commitee members

http://www.tagb.biz/

Regards
    Tracy

Happy New Year! :rolleyes:

20. maestro_may

maestro_may Valued Member

:D Im in the TAGB!!!! :D I love it !

Sorry i was a bit lazy to read through it all i havent been feeling very well.

Mr Walton is going great, saw him a couple of weeks ago at my grading, still pushes everyone hard but is a great coach!

I think one of the reasons why TAGB went to leicester was because then its near the squad training, sorry if i am wrong- just a thought!

Not sure on what else to write.... except i love tkd! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.