Any Shooters Here?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by GaryWado, Nov 24, 2013.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I'm getting into archery and just wondered whether there are any folk here that also shoot!?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not since I was a boy in England, but I've been thinking I'd like to again. Thing is that archery where I am now is generally associated with hunting. Which holds no fascination for me. So there's not a ton of infrastructure for it. And, where I live, our houses are close enough together that I could almost literally high five our back neighbors when we're each on our respective back decks. So there's not a lot of open ground to set up a range.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I've dabbled in archery on and off. I did a few session at the Uni club as an undergrad but had to give it up because of other commitments. A few years ago I bought a Korean horse bow, which I shoot in the back garden occasionally.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I'm quite lucky like that as I have a range at the end of my road, and my garden is pretty big.

In the UK, to shoot at a range, you have to be a member of a club and, to be a member of a club, you have to have undergone an induction training.

Basic range health and safety!

So that's next on the agenda but hopefully will get my license early in the year!

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Not archery, but I like to shoot guns.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

When I was a boy I used to be into archery a bit. I remember not enjoying being snapped with the bow string very much.

7. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I go through fits with archery where I'll enjoy it for a while, then I won't touch the bow for months. Used to hunt a lot when I was younger. Now I mostly shoot tequila. :)

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I shot archery in high school, but nowadays I'm primarily into shotguns (specifically American Trap).

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

In florida their are palmetto trees, what they don't show you is in central, redneck Florida we have palmetto bushes that will poke and stab you to death if you fall into them. We used to cut a palmetto branch and rake the leaves off and make cheap bows out of them, whittling sticks into arrows. They shot about 15 feet!

Other than that, I dry fired my buddies bow. I didn't know you aren't supposed to do that and he about punched me in the face. :eek:

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My inlaws are coaches and run the local club , I shoot with them occasionally , my eldest has started shooting with them on saturday morning now.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I watch Arrow, does that count?

Bassai,

Could you pm me the details of that club please?

One of my boys has been interested in it for a while.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I used to shoot a lot of target archery at school, competed a bit locally and did quite well.

I still have my bow, KG1 Marksman, which is outdated of course but still a beautiful object. There's a club in our village so I might take it up again if I have time, especially if either of the kids is interested.

Got to have something to shoot at, eh? :D

Mitch

13. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Have taught as a leader (the most basic coaching level) for the last few years. For me, from a career point of view it's a really good, not too expensive qualification to keep hold of - the fact that I could happily spend hours down the range in my spare time, has always been a bonus! Great hobby to have.

My only advice to anyone looking to buy and maintain their own equipment is that fletching glue is no joke! It will glue one part of your arm, to the other part of your arm, in about 10 minutes. :eek:

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I do both...did a lot in my early years hunting....but now and then....

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Over and under?

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I make due with a Browning BPS pump-action. For single trap, it's not as convenient on the line, but it shoots just as straight as an over-under for a quarter of the price. For double trap or for skeet, it's definitely more of a challenge than an O/U would be, but it'll get the job done so long as I'm shooting recreationally and not competitively.

There are few weapons more versatile than a twelve-gauge pump-action. It can be used for duck-hunting one day, deer-hunting the next, trap-shooting the next day, home defense the next, the zombie apocalypse the day after that. Less-lethal, birdshot, buckshot, slugs...it'll cycle it all without a hiccup.

But...sorry...this thread was about bows, huh?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013