Any Schools Around?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MustangFa1con, May 27, 2003.

1. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

Hi, I live in NH and would be willing to travel a little ways if I could find a school that teaches some style of Filipino Martial Arts. I've done seaches on-line and dove into my local phone book, but no luck...If anyone knows of any Filipino Martial Arts schools in New England, please fill me in, thanks.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What is NH???

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think its new hampshire?? In USA I guess.

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeah, his location says it...

|Cain|

5. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

yeah, thats NH...sorry, I just became a member today, I didn't think to specify a country, I'm new to this place. Anyway, the question is still out there for anyone who knows an answer, thanks

6. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

You near Claremont? I found this one on a web search.

ARNIS LANADA
    281 Pleasant St. Claremont
    603-543-3877 arnis lanada etc.

7. guro_jason

guro_jason New Member

If you are interested in taking a drive south....

Check us out --

EEMA Fitness & Martial Arts -- Doce Pares Eskrima (Doce Pares Multistyle Eskrima)

We are in South Weymouth, about 12 miles south of Boston!

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey Jason you old dog - how are you bud?

Welcome to MAP :D

9. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

Clearmont

Thanks Clumsy Ninja, but i looked into it and it turns out that its like 100miles awayfrom where I am (Nashua Area), I'm like right on the boarder of Mass. But thanks anyway, now I know there's at least one school in New Hampshire. If you know of any other schools, maybe even in MA, yet me know.

10. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

guro_jason...that may be a little too far for me, but thanks for the info, i will definately check it out

11. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

and hey, I found ths place in Manchester,

BUJINKAN DOJO
    250 COMMERCIAL ST.
    MANCHESTER, NH 03101
    Phone: (603) 668-3181
    I called them up and talked to a guy there, cuz it says on their web site, www.bujinkandojo.net ...that they teach Sayoc Kali
    I'm was unfamiliar with this particular style so I researched it and found out more, but my question is about the school and the instructor. It says the following about the instructor:

Currently Sensei Lefebvre holds the following martial art rankings:

Founder, Combative Concepts
    Rokudan (6th degree black belt), in Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu
    Sandan (3rd degree black belt), in Sunyata Karate
    4th Level Associate (Instructor's license) in Art of Combat
    Kayan Dalawa Guro, Sayoc Kali
    Whip Instructor, Sayoc Kali
    Director for the State of NH, Pekiti Tirsia PitBulls
    Tribal Leader, AMOK! Tribal art of the Blade

I don't know what a lot of that means, like the "KAYAN DALAWA GURO" and such

And also, I called up the school and it turns out that they don't teach Sayoc Kali primarily, but only as a combative concepts course that incorporates "shootfighting, catch wrestling, weapons training" , among other things. This is what I was told over the phone. I'm not sure if this would be something to stear clear of because of its lack of 'uniformity' or if this would be a good thing to learn, because I am just startin out with martial arts and am unsure as to which direstion I should go in, style wise.

12. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello,

Perhaps I can help as I am the owner of the school.

The Combative Concepts program, incorporates several levels of training integrated into one program. That class does have stick work, blade work, empty hands, grappling etc. The program is designed to allow the practitioner a seamless transition through various fighting ranges. There is also a firearms retention and application portion to this program. We also do have a stand alone Sayoc Kali class. Although until our new renovations are complete, it only meets every other Thursday, alternating with a Brazilian Jiu jutsu course.

My profile that is on the site is just that, a list of arts that I have been involved and hold rank levels in.

Kayan Dalawa Guro Sayoc Kali is Associate Instructor Level 2, you can go to the Sayoc Kali website and check out the requirements in the Instructors Course outline listed there. I am also the public moderator for the Sayoc Kali website. I train directly with Tuhon Sayoc and have been licensed to teach through him.

The Bujinkan Dojo, has been in operation for 8 years at the Waumbec Mill location. Last year we moved to our new, larger location as we have out grown the old space.

I have been involved with the Filipino Martial Arts for close to 20 years, but have chosen Sayoc Kali since late 1999 early 2000 as one of the arts for my continuing martial arts education.

Also stand by for more upcoming Filipino Martial arts seminars and events!!

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve Lefebvre

www.Sayoc.com
    www.Bujinkandojo.net

13. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

Well, it looks like the right person saw that question huh?!?
    Well since you would probablly be the best source of answers for my questions I'll put out a couple more...

I believe in your web site it said something about the Combative Concepts class as being an extention or supplement to martial arts training already had or could be used to complete otherwise somewhat lacking training...I was wondering if I'm interpreting that right and if that program would be recomended for someone like myself who is just starting out in martial arts, or is it good or necessary to have some kind of fighting backround before learning in that course?

Also, in other "threads" I have been asking people about the Budo Taijutsu. I researched a lot on various martial art styles and never relly heard much about the art except it is originally from Japan and something about it being a 'form' or 'level' of Ninjutsu. I just yesterday took an introductory class in Nashua in Shaolin Kenpo and am looking for good schools to sample/watch a class to see what they're all about.
    I was wondering what you yourself could tell me about that particular style, who you instructed under/worked with, what differences there are between this style and other styles like karate or kenpo, just what its al about basically.
    I hope my run-on sentences aren't too confusing, thanks

14. MustangFa1con

MustangFa1con New Member

Also, I was wondering when the renovations were complete, will the stand alone class be taught with the same frequency as the others, and when might the renovations be completed...thanks

15. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello Again,

The Combative Concepts course allows a student with or without any previous martial arts training, to learn effective fighting skills. There is no prerequisite for starting your training, other than a willingness to learn.

When the second room is completed next month, the course structure will be a minimum of 1 - 2 sessions per week for Sayoc Kali, 1 - 2 sessions per week for Stick fighting etc. Stay tuned to our websites for the updated schedule changes.

Since this is a FMA board I will only briefly describe Budo Taijutsu.
    Budo Taijutsu is the art that is taught within the Bujinkan Dojo, headed by Soke Hatsumi of Noda Shi Japan. Some people, notably Sensei Hayes, early on used the term ninjutsu to describe all of the material in the curriculum. But, since the ninjutsu ryuha contained in our curriculum are only 1/3 of the 9 schools, Soke Hatsumi changed the terminology to Budo Taijutsu. I started training in the Bujinkan in 1989, although I had prior training for several years off and on, prior to that time. In 1996 I passed the Godan test and was promoted shortly after to rokudan directly from Soke Hatsumi. My first Instructor was Shihan Severe of Dallas Texas. There are many differences and similarities between this system and others, the best way to see what we offer is to come in and watch or participate in a class. This Saturday would be best. Class starts at 9:00 am - 10:30, if you are under 18 years of age you will need a parental signature on our Liablity Waiver before attending a class(down load this from our website).

I look forward to meeting you soon.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve Lefebvre

www.Sayoc.com
    www.Bujinkandojo.net