Any one heard of Master Mi Yi?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by rgn_jhn33597, Aug 26, 2011.

1. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hey, 33597.

Everybody eff's up once in awhile and fecal matter happens too, that's life and most everyone is capable of realizing this unpleasant fact. So no harm done. :cool:

To answer your question about what's the difference between HMJ-HKD and Sin Moo HKD, the answer is relatively simple. The first org is run by In Sun Seo, and the second is run by Han Jae Ji. Both gentlemen trained directly with the "father of HKD" (i.e. Yong Sool Choi). Both were early innovators, adding certain elements to HKD in order to *flesh out* the curriculum from being simply joint-locking techniques. The taekkyeon like kicking which made HKD a desired feature in the movies (way back when Angela Mao was a popular MA movie star [BTW she played Bruce Lee's sister in "Enter the Dragon" and also starred with master Ji in a film titled, oddly enough, "Hapkido" - made in 1972]) was infused (and accepted) into the HKD repertoire mainly due to the efforts of master Ji. He was also instrumental in helping to form the Dae Han Kido Hwe (the first HKD umbrella org), but became disenchanted with some of the politics (yes, even back then HKD was plagued with this *monster*) and moved on to form a different org (click here to read about it). He immigrated to the USA in the 1980's when he started promoting his Sin Moo HKD.

Master Seo was perhaps the longest running head of the Kido Hwe, and one of the last pioneers of HKD to come to the USA (although I believe he travels back & forth to S. Korea quite often). A time came when, you guessed it, some political wranglings stirred up some trouble and the Korean Kido Hwe folded, only to be replaced by a similar org. Of course master Seo had already formed the WORLD Kido Hwe and continued to run the global version of this org, as well as establishing the HMJ-HKD in order to have a "Korean connection" for the issuance of legitimate certs (sanctioned by the ROK). Despite spelling his name differently than In Hyuk Suh, the founder of Kuk Sool Won, master Seo is nonetheless his brother and he held a high position in KSW until about a decade ago. Just so you know, KSW is a HKD variant that adds elements of Chinese kung fu, such as smooth-flowing forms, and several more ancient weapons than what you normally find in HKD. So this is the preferred MA system taught by master Seo (called simply kuk-sool or KS-HKD, as KSW is copyrighted by his brother), although there are plenty of *typical* HKD schools affiliated with HMJ-HKD that don't do forms (aka: kata, hyeong, poomse) or all the extra *fancy* weapons.

I'm spewing all this off the top of my head, so if anyone on here knows where I may have got some of the facts wrong, please jump in an set me straight (I wouldn't want Mr. Reagan to get any more erroneous info than he has already).

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Wow! MAP controversy that wound up with a happy ending! Who would have thought it??

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so now that you've got all this great information rgn_jhn33597, what's your next steps? are you in a contractual agreement with american dragon? are you thinking of trying hapkido brothers? or another art?

it's great to see the map community step in and help someone!

4. rgn_jhn33597

rgn_jhn33597 Valued Member

next steps

I am in a contractual agreement, and that sucks in itself because its like being trapped in a gym membership or something along those lines. I am going to finish out my contract and I'll keep researching as much as possible. I am happy with her instruction (when I can understand her, lol) so as far as that goes I may stick with her and if it so happens I move elsewhere and join another school worse thing that happens is I start their ranking system from the beginning.

At the risk of ****ing anyone off the emblem I started off with as far as I could find isn't RH crap. I found a site

http://www.hkd.ca/index.php?option=...ol-canadian-hq&catid=2:news&Itemid=30&lang=ko

that is a school in Canada that mentions the Korea Hapkido Federation I belong with and non of which is related to RH. RH logo is nothing like the one used in my school.

here is another page I found that mentions there being two KHF and the best I can see has nothing to do with RH. http://www.hapkido.hr/eng/Etkosmomi.html
    If I'm wrong again so be it, guess you'll just have to correct me again or ignore it. Another page I found shows most of the federations and associations along with their logos and links to their sites. (yes I know the second link doesn't work) http://www.hapkido.hr/eng/Elinkovi.html
    I dont see anything RH related if its there please point it out, I'm doing my best to find what I can that doesn't trace back to him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. rgn_jhn33597

I asked Master Mi who her master was and she told me his Name is Son Yong Ki. Don't know if anyone has heard or knows about him but I couldn't find anything. She said he isn't around anymore. Just FYI

6. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Song Yong Ki, founder of HanMuKwan Hap-Ki-Do and the former Korea Hapkido Federation Technical Director, 9th Dan from South Korea, KHF 9th Dan #2 (according to Google)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4arhA9tPfA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4arhA9tPfA[/ame]

Apparently it is him at 4:25 doing cane demo.

Listed several places as RH's Hapkido Instructor.

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello again,

The certification listed on th Canadian site is from the "Word Hapkiwon" I have NEVER heard of this organization. My advice is to not be concerned with what's going on in Canada and start with concerns about what's going on in your own backyard. We have made it abundantly clear that you are caught up and stuck with a very bad and fraudulent hapkido school. You can dig around the internet all night and day and that fact will not change unless you change schools.:bang:

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If you are happy where you are, stay and enjoy the training. Keep your eyes open "just in case" (now that you know a bit more about the organization.

If you're happy where you are... well, just read what I wrote earlier.

I wouldn't waste my time worrying about the emblem. It's pretty clear that the school you are with has links to the Mr. Hackworth that other people have had issues with (and see the other forums I quoted). If you aren't worried about that type of BS, then enjoy your training and don't worry about it.

9. iron_ox

Website reads like someone else we used to know...

John, if you are happy there then that's good. However, the contract is only as good as the promises that are made in it. If it says that you are going to be a member of the KHF, and or you were told this to sign the contract, that is false, and the contract is probably void. Contracts are best for those that already know what they are getting and want a lower rate for a guarantee that they are staying for a set amount of time. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

OK, here is a little lesson in Goggle Hapkido 101, have a look at any site you quote. See if anything that the person says strikes you as "odd" - this guys site says he is the ONLY official Hapkido school in Canada! Then he states that if you don't rank from him, you have phony paper - THIS IS THE SAME LANGUAGE that RH used to "mislead" (allegedly) so many people.

Now, when doing Google-do searches, take a moment to look in the region of the site you want to quote. In British Columbia alone there is a Master that has been a seventh dan (originally through the KHF) LONGER than the guy you quote has been doing Hapkido! (I know him personally and he was in the UK as a ranked black belt when I was a guppie).

So, the site you quote might belong to the same KHF as you do, but look at what he says...that is not an organization that I would be interested in joining at all...

Again, just a little side note...this page you found lists them as members of the KHF (larger, older, more well know) - BUT on the KHF site, they are not listed as members...SO, you should contact the KHF site and ask if they are members - they are good guys there and will much more about that...

OK, again good find. Lots of good links there and lots of reading if you are so inclined. However, it would be a real question if the organization, which is supposed to be a governing body though which you are getting grades has a site that is not up at all...I can see a technical glitch that keeps something offline for a while, but it should still be something you should explore more. There is nothing worse than training, then paying for a grade that turns out to be so much outhouse wall paper.

Stick around and ask questions, raise issues, and hopefully have fun and learn something along the way. As the amount of information that is available gets more reliable and more extensive, there are going to be very few questions about this or any other art that you will not be able to find the answers to.

For anyone who wonders why I say "allegedly" for RH's behavior, there are several internet reports of very large sums of money being accepted for what turned out to be phony certificates - one I saw for some $4000, but I am unable to locate anyone that actually took RH to court to recover, I have no doubt in a veracity of the claims, but as nothing has been litigated, I use the word "allegedly".

10. Pazifist

Pazifist Valued Member

I think this raises the following question:
    What is more important: the legitimacy of a piece of paper or the skills you learn and the fun you have?

I am NOT defending any phony instructors committing fraud here. Just raising a question :)

11. rgn_jhn33597

I just want to say thank you for everything that you Thomas and Iron-ox have shown and explained. You two have been the most help and I appreciate it. If I come up with any more questions I'll make sure to address either of you two, obviously anyone else is free to comment but will most likely be ignored unless they have "valid" comments. again my thanks for now go to you two.

12. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Don’t get me wrong, if you like the school by all means stay only you can make that decision for yourself. I was only trying to address the issue at hand....

Just beware of poisoned Kool Aid! Please be careful, I would hate to see you or anyone else taken advantage of.

13. unknown-KJN

Nothing against this korean master, but the first "technique" that he demonstrates is shown again in slo-mo, not only once, but twice (@ 4:45 & 5:00). This puzzles me because it doesn't require the cane in order to make the technique work. :thinking:

FYI- except for only using one hand instead of two, it's roughly the same as gibonsu #1 (i.e. basic technique #1) from the kuk-sool curriculum.

14. unknown-KJN

And here I was beginning to think you were a level-headed sort of guy, Mr. Reagan. :rolleyes:

Admittedly, some other folks on this thread besides the two you singled out may have used less tact than you might have liked in answering your questions, and certainly this has a lot to do with *rubbing someone the wrong way*, but that's no reason to "ignore" any future comments. :yeleyes:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yea well how about ji pang ee sool #1 kind of the same really, right?

16. Giovanni

i'll be even less tactful...

sorry, but if you find out that your "instructor" is a total liar who fakes grading certificates and is not part of the organization that you thought they were part of and you stay there, it doesn't say much for your own character.

and don't even get me started on whether this guy can supposedly fight or not. whatever. i don't see hackworth in a ring or can look up his fighting record. his "website" doesn't even list self defense as a benefit, but if you want to lose weight or gain in "self confidence", boy have at it. as far as i'm concerned, he's a fraud, fake, liar, bullshido.... (yeah i realize i'm saying the same thing over and over, but i'm hoping one of them will stick).

17. unknown-KJN

Apologies Everyone!

:topic: OFF-TOPIC :topic:​

No. Maybe you learned it wrong but the technique you cited (at least how I learned it) uses the cane to block a punch, hooking the opponent's wrist with the curved end and THEN you grab their hand in order to perform the throw via a twisting joint-lock. The guy in the video simply slid the straight end of the cane under the arm an into the armpit, which offers very little leverage in making the twisting joint-lock take his adversary off-balance. :bang:

I dunno, maybe you ought to go back to the off-topic or religion areas of MAP and see if you can stir up any more controversy there. :yeleyes:

18. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Apologies to UNK for stealing your "Kool Aid" line before! Lol

19. Giovanni

ok, i just watched the video that iron ox posted.

don't go to a real khf school either. simply on the basis of the knife attack defense. they tried to pull that nonsense on us at the hapkido school i studied at. yeah, real smart, use an x-block to defend against a 7" knife. uh huh, that'll work. NOT!

20. iron_ox

See, here I am trying to be all gentile and stuff...let the guy thank me...its SO rare that happens!

Again, everyone, this has been a great example of lots of perspectives adding up to the same idea...rare here, but very cool.

But I'd probably ignore you to Unknown...:)