Any one heard of Master Mi Yi?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by rgn_jhn33597, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello Iron Ox,
    I think this is just RH with yet another lame attempt to stir things up. This is, in my opinion, beneath us. Hackworth opened a dojang literary a stones throw from Burchett's school and has been trying to discredit GM Burchett on line ever since. I for one am not going to play to this silly BS anymore.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what i don't understand is...how can this hackworth guy still operate? is there really no quality control? can't the khf or someone do something about this guy claiming he's part of the khf? there's been mention that contracts were voided. it's pretty ridiculous that this guy, or anyone, can get away with it.

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Giovanni,
    Hackworth is like a bad cancer, he just keeps coming back. All of his bs, fake certificates, his how to get rich infomercials and books, his pro wrestling federation, the law suits and all the dirty laundry can be easily found on line. Just google it! :)

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

$$$$$

:cry:

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The latest active website I can find is http://www.freewebs.com/americandragonmiyi/ (from 2005) and notes affiliation with his group
    There is a listing for her school opening in 2008 affiliated with this group here http://koreanhapkidofederation.wordpress.com/2008/12/ (with a whole bunch of other nastiness... I would avoid this stuff like the plague)
    And a 2011 site http://taekwondomartialartsschoolsclermont.wordpress.com/ with lots of links to Mr. Hackworth, the Haemukwan, and "alternate" KHF.

Is the school a member of the KHF and Haemukwan? If so, it's still with Mr. Hackworth. (This is a different KHF than the one that she and her husband got rank from... they are using a new name (actually the same name for a different group)... why? I don't know... maybe to make people thing that their KHF = the "real" KHF? I don't know). The third website really makes it sound like the certification is actually fro the (Korea-based) KHF... when it isn't.

To be honest, like I said before, if you are enjoying the training and feels it fits your needs, enjoy it and don't worry about what people here say.

However, if such a quick look (on a thread here) pulls up so much crap so quickly, you probably should keep you wits about you in case you get screwed later on.

I would probably take a look around and see what else is offered nearby... try out a few classes and see if those schools fit you better. You just might be avoiding more trouble down the road.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hey Giovanni,

The KHF (proper) that is the KOREA Hapkido Federation got a huge nosebleed in 2003 over the whole RH thing. RH was kicked out of the KOREA Hapkido Federation, and blamed all his troubles on a man named Sung Book Bae, who was director (?) of the KOREA Hapkido Fed. at the time (I believe) - it was a true mess - anyway, RH almost immediately after started his own self styled KOREAN Hapkido Federation - yep, one letter different in English. RH even found a Korean to run the thing - and most Koreans won't openly attack each other, so someone in the other KHF saying anything is not likely to happen.

There really is little that can be done except to warn people to do the due diligence, check the resources on the web and elsewhere.

Its a tough one, but until this art is properly codified, abuse will run rampant.

7. iron_ox

Check this first: http://www.koreahapkidofederation.net/index.html

That is the CURRENT KHF. Contact MST. Whalen or MST. Thomas - they are both very easy to talk to and will answer KHF questions the best.

The "BS" behind it was caused by RH and Mi Yi when they (apparently) issued a lot of fake certs. - she was not objecting publicly then, and if you say she is contrite, that's great, but she is still listed on his sites, and was married to him at the time - maybe she should at least apologize to all the people that got phony paper - that might go someway to people seeing things in a different light. In addition, if she is so reformed, why is she part of a "KHF" which is clearly designed to fool people in believing it is the real deal???

Whatever, writing all of this about these two is bringing back SO many bad memories of good people getting ripped off and so much time trying to fight for true information on the internet that my fingers feel covered in sick - gotta go wash up before breakfast! Yuck!

8. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

No. There is no quality control.

9. Pazifist

Pazifist Valued Member

Unfortunately, it is not so easy for a beginner to judge someone's skill on the mat. Beginners usually tend to judge an instructor more on his character than on his skill and legitimate certificates... thus making it easier for said beginner to go on the internet and "see" if that is a good instructor or not. A lot of you guys have been around a long time, know a lot of people and are able to judge someone's skill pretty quick. But please cut the beginners some slack if they can't tell a good from a bad instructor within an hour or so...

10. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Pazkist,
    If you are going to comment and give advice perhaps you should read the entire thread?? The "beginner" that you are referring to is a Troll. Probably Hackworth himself.:bang:

11. iron_ox

Hello Pazifist,

Sorry if that came out sounding "strong" but if you can actually visit a school, usually you will see some information, certificates, etc. that might counter balance internet material...but I agree that it is hard to judge skill as a beginner, but at least he did go to see the place...

Slack is cut...:)

12. iron_ox

And everytime I try to craft a good response I forget that! :bang:

13. Giovanni

this is wild...i checked out the khf website, and...

http://www.koreahapkidofederation.net/choosingaschool.html

clearly talking about fake certificates.

what i don't understand is this.....supposedly, this guy and his wife are high-ranking dans in the real khf, right? why start doing wierd stuff and handing out other certificates when you're already part of a seemingly respectable org.?

14. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Why do people commit fraud? Why are there people that do horrible things when doing the right thing would be even easier? Who knows. My only response is that there are people out there that are just no good!

15. Giovanni

there's definitely something to what you're saying. there are many studies that show that, say drug dealers, would make much more money if they just got a job, even a low paying job; because, the percentage of drug dealers that make any money at all is so small. and of course, there's no risk of prison or violence by just getting a low-paying job at the supermarket.

at this point, i'm rambling a bit. but am still pretty disturbed that some guy in central florida can get away with shenanigans.

16. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Probably because he's little more than a HOOLIGAN... :evil: :D :jester: :banana:

17. rgn_jhn33597

rgn_jhn33597 Valued Member

I probably can't do or say anything to convince you otherwise that I am not Hackworth. My name is John Reagin and I sincerly appologise for any disrespect that I may have generated to GM Burchett. As I stated before I am brand new to all this and just trying to learn the truth and more I delve into things my eyes are being opened. I obviously didn't go far enough into my research when I looked up Gm Burchett and the pages I did see were from Hackworth but being brand new I did not realize those were his websites or how bad Hackworths Reputation is. It seemed everything I searched for "central Florida Hapkid schools led to Hackworths sites, But now that I'm looking at the many different federations and associations individually and not just schools. I did more searching last night and found the good stuff (non Hackworth "hacked") websites. I see he is under the World Kido Federation. Can you tell me is there a big difference in the WKF as apposed to the KHF? I really do want to learn waht I'm getting into and find the right schools. One more question to those that know. I notice the many different forms of Hapkido is there a big difference in Hanmijok vs. Sin moo? Again please let me appologize for any disrespect (absolutely Non was intended) I was only going off what I was told and what I could finds online at the time. I am slowly learning.

18. rgn_jhn33597

as I'm finding out the hard way!! I'm just not that computer/ internet savy to do the best research. I know thats not much of an excuse but I'm limited to what I know how to do.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  19. rgn_jhn33597

When I went to Hapkido Brothers Academy I didn't get a chance to talk in depth with GM Burchett (he introduced himself then another instructor took over)and I didn't know enough to ask about or to see certs because I didn't know certs and rank were such a big issue. I thought it was an individual school thing. As for what I "saw" wasn't much because while I was in there it must have been time for callesthenics not techniques. I admitt I was ignorant/ naive a little less now thanks to everyone's help. I will stick around because I am learning so much about the problems plagueing Hapkido and what/ who to avoid. After seeing Moosulmaster's latest comments about me being RH I assure you I am not. Whether he wants to change his opinion after my latest posts I could care less. I am not RH and was truely trying to learn which I have. I admit my first avatar v.s my OP could have been seen as Hinky and was a mistake I appologize for. I said before I F***** up getting into a contract where I am but will be looking elswhere when it is expired. Most likely will give GM Burchette and second and much closer look.

20. rgn_jhn33597

Appologies for GM Burchette!!!!!!!

I am posting an email I just received from a Sara Seo of the World Kido Federation and would like to try and make a mends with everyone with my most sincere appologies to you all as well as GM Burchette!!!
    Email is as follows

Mr. Reagin,

Yes, GM Burchett's school is registered and recognized by our organization and he is a student of Grandmaster Seo. I hope you will start your training at the Hapkido Brothers Academy!

Regards,

Sara Seo
    Secretary General
    World Kido Federation

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM, John Reagin <*********@hotmail.com> wrote:

To whom it may concern,
    I am sending this email in regards to Hapkido Brothers Academy located in Clermont, Fl. I am curious as to whether this particular school is associated with the World Kido Federation, or the Hanminjok Hapkido Association? The instructor of that school is said to be 8th Dan Grand Master Billy Lee Burchett and to have been a student of Grand Master In Sun Seo. I would like to know is there a way to find out if Billy Lee Burchett is indeed associated with your organization and is a legitimate student of GM In Sun Seo. I am currently looking to find a legitimate Hapkido school and this is the closest to where I live, so I am trying to find out if he is legitimate. I sincerly appreciate your time and want to thank you for your help.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011