Any Mappers speak Greek?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ArthurKing, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Hi, i've posted on another thread about my upcoming Shodan grading and in the eventuality i pass i would like to thank my Sensei, who is Greek Cypriot, in Greek. Not to long, short sentence. Something along the lines of-
    "I would like to thank my sensei and friend Petros, who i think of as like my big brother."
    Phonetics would also help.
    Thanks

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'll ask my fiancee to see if she can translate that (she's studying Greek at the moment).

3. If it is classical Greek, that will raise some eyebrows... :D:D

Osu!

4. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I am Greek so ask for any kind of sentence, long or short and I will translate it accurately.

I am fluent in greek too, above average I would say, so you have nothing to worry about;)

"I would like to thank my sensei and friend Petros, who i think of as like my big brother.

This sentence will be translated like this:
    " Θα ήθελα να ευχαριστήσω το δάσκαλο και φίλο μου Πέτρο, τον οποίο βλέπω σαν μεγάλο μου αδερφό."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I doubt Arthur K read Greek, so here's an attempt for how you would say that.. more or less.

"Tha ithela na efkaristitho to thaskalo ke philo mou petro, ton obio vlebo san meyalo mou atherfo"

Feel free to correct, my greek isn't all that.

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Yeah, I am sorry. I should have posted it this way too.
    Good thing is that Cloudz did it for me and quite accurately too.;)
    A couple of things that I have to correct:

You'd better change efkaristitho and read it efkaristiso.
    This difference is quite important because you could end up saying "I want to enjoy myself" instead of saying "I want to thank my teacher".
    Now aside that, that you absolutely must say it the way I wrote it, there aren't any other mistakes.
    There are a few things though, that I would suggest you to change for pronunciation's sake. I would change obio and vlebo to opio and vlepo and meyalo to megalo.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yes, spot on. My Grenglish needs work!

I confused myself on the efkaristitho/ efkaristiso, something didn't sound quite right there. :)

8. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Well, greek is quite the tricky language as you should know by now, so a little mistake like that is sensible.:D

Of course you need more work (the same applies for my english, obviously:p) but I was genuinely impressed when I read your post! Do you by any chance have greek origins?

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yes bro, my parents are Greek Cypriots..

If you heard me speaking my village greek cypriot dialect you'de probably have a fit though.. I remember a cousin of mine who came from Greece to study here used to rip on me for it big time.. I mean I totally get why though.

A lot of my greek comes from my gran when I was little, who was just a simple old lady from a cypriot village, no schooling or anything like that.. I can only read a little bit thanks to a teacher my mum got me for a short while when I was young.

For someone non Greek to understand, it's (my accent/dialect) something equivelent to Geordie for example - or similar, I imagine.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Guys, thanks a lot, it really means a lot to me and i know it will to my Sensei.
    So now i have to practice my Karate and my Greek!
    There may be more questions about pronunciation such as, in the longer words is the empasis on any particular syllable- first, last?
    Cheers again.

11. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I am happy that I can a help Arthur!!
    I will bold the syllables that you have to give an emphasis on, while you read this line.

"Tha ithela na efkaristiso to thaskalo ke philo mou Petro, ton opio vlepo san megalo mou atherfo"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  12. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Cheers man, another quick question, are all the 'o's at the end of the words pronounced the same? A long 'o' like in the english word 'toe' or short 'o' like in 'pot'?
    Thanks.

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

hi,

it's the short one