any cimande practitioner here?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ptkali778, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

hi guys,
    just wondering if anybody knows cimande silat. we have a guest instructor who will be teaching cimande in a couple of weeks. just want some info bout the style, i've heard bout it, but never seen it before. any inputs would be greatly appreciated....thanks guys!

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've had a fair amount of exposure to the Cimande as taught in Mande Muda Silat and I've seen a little of the Cimande as taught by Willem "Uncle Bill" de Thouars. There are similarities in flavor between the two - but there are differences, too.

My instructor said that when he visited the Cimande village in Indonesia, that you could, literally, go from house to house and each person's Cimande would be somewhat different.

Consequently, what I tell you about the Cimande I've been exposed to may or may not jibe what you see when you get to the class in a couple of weeks.

However, the Cimande that I've been exposed to uses evasive footwork to get to the outside line of the attack, then it crashes through the attack and into the attacker using the forearms (and shins) as weapons. The forearms and shins are conditioned and become very dense - I've not had much exposure to the shin conditioning but the forearm conditioning is pretty amazing. The ulna bone becomes very dense and can deliver and receive amazing blows without any ill effect. Unlike a lot of conditioning I've seen in other arts, though, this conditioning isn't damaging. The forearms don't lose any sensitivity or end up looking ugly - they're just very hard and make great striking tools.

Mike

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Cimande is definitely good stuff. It is one of the Silat systems that a lot
    of others seem to draw from. It's an art you could spend a long time studying because there is a lot of depth to it.

There are web sites that could give you much more information than a post.
    If you Google Cimande you'll find some helpful references.

Who was the guest instructor? I will be interested to hear what was taught
    and your impressions of the material.

4. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

ular sawa...
    the guest instructor is guro Louie Lindo. i'll let you know how it goes in 10 days...i cant waite.

5. bernie

bernie New Member

Aloha !
    Guru Louie used to be a student of Pak Herman so his background of Cimande would be mostly from Mande Muda in my opinion. I just returned from a visit to Cimande village where I revisited the grave of Pak Kahir, the founder of the Cimande system to pay my respects there.
    In fact for those of you interested there is a camp there next May or June for 2 weeks to train at the Padepokan. Please email me directly for more information. Mahalo

6. Gorka

Gorka Valued Member

Cimande player in France

Selamat everyone,
    I'm a french Cimande player. It's my first post on this forum.
    I'm linked to the PPPSBBI (very famous organisation from banten - West Java). If you have some more details of the traditional style that I teach, you can have a look on my website : http://www.cimandefrance.com
    It's in french but it may be helpfull anyway for some of you...
    Salam hormat
    Gorka

7. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

welcome gorka...and thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

8. Gorka

Gorka Valued Member

You're welcome

You're welcomeptkali778
    If you have any comments or questions,
    I'll happy to read them... and I'll do my best to answer....
    Salam hormat
    Gorka

9. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

gorka...that was a good video. i cant waite to have my first intro to cimande. i was just wondering are they doing jurus or kembangan?

10. Gorka

Gorka Valued Member

Jurus or kembangan...

Selamat ptkali778,
    I think it's more jurus but I'm not sure.
    It's coming from a friend's video from Pencak silat from Sunda (west java)
    That's all that I know about that video...
    I'm planning to put other ones later...
    Salam hormat
    Gorka

11. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

yey! today is the day! first intro to cimande silat. training is 2-3 hours so i'll absorb as much as i can cause i probably wont see it again. Apparently guro louie doesnt teach anymore or he doesnt have time to teach, silat player is rare here in bc, so i'll take advantage of todays training.

12. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Hi ptkali778
    I hope you enjoyed your experience of Cimande. I'm a Cimande player in Ireland. If you like more info on cimande check out our website www.silatireland.com it has lots of articles and info you might find interesting. My teacher is Pendekar Sanders and he's from LA . I'm sure if you guys are interested in seeing more he be interested in doing a seminar for you guys. His Cimande offers a differnt view on things. It's very effective and has a very unique flow to it. I been training under Mr Sanders and he's a very honest, realistic Cimande teacher and you guys would have a great time. I wish you the very best in what ever direction in Cimande you take and if I can be off any help, please feel free to contact me.
    Liam

13. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thanks silatliam....i really enjoyed and learned a few things from my one day experience of cimande, and hope to pursue it. anyways guro louie our guest instructor showed us the first juru, and i was amazed how he broke it down into so many techniques, if im not mistaken i think its called "pecahan" dont shoot me on this one, he mentioned something bout taking a glass and breaking it into pieces......something like that. im still digesting what i learned.

14. bernie

bernie New Member

Aloha Ptkali778

Pecahan is a term widely used by the late Pendekar Herman Suwanda, my teacher. Guru Lindo also learned from Pak Herman. There are 32 jurus in the Cimande system taught in Mande Muda with numerous pecahan/options hence the term broken glass as it splinters into numerous pieces when glass breaks. Your imagination will determine how may pecahan's you can get into from any juru.

15. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thanks for the info bernie.....im a newbie to silat and still have alot to learn, so every bits and pieces of info from you guys would be greatly appreciated..selamat

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Just wondering if there have been any developments in your Cimande experience ptkali778

Salam Hormat

17. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

hey there silatpupil,
    sad to say that my experience in cimande was a one time deal, as guro louie lindo doesnt teach silat anymore, it was like a tease or a little taste if you will. but have no fear i still remember what he taught me. learned the first jurus and some variations and he said to pick 1 or 2 things and drill it. so that's what i did. i like cimande alot the first and only time that i saw it, too bad i cant get any instruction anymore. tried to pursue him but he was very reluctant to teach it. i dont know why all of a sudden he just stopped teaching silat.....hmn! makes me wonder.
    thanks for looking out tho...i appreciate it

18. Karn Evel

Karn Evel New Member

PTKALI,

When last I heard, Louie Lindo was teaching/practicing escrima exclusively. However, if you liked his Cimande, I'm pretty certain it was from the Herman Suwanda / Mande Muda lineage. Check out their website, and email Bernie (who posts on here from time to time)

Mande Muda is great stuff, and Bapak Herman trained some VERY good instructors in the U.S. (and Europe!) If you really like it, they have camps/facilities in Indonesia for foregin students.

Cheers!
    Karn Evel

19. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

karl evel,
    yes you are right about his lineage, i trained with him for a very short period of time, due to my work schedule....i believe he teaches ikatan kali which is he's own blend or impression of what he had learned from different masters of fma. great guy!

cheers

20. d_filgate

d_filgate New Member

also trained with Guro Louie

Just found your thread. I also live in British Columbia, and did a couple of
    seminars with Guro Louie and Guro Loki (Pekiti T.) Guro Louie is a great
    guy, and I'm very much indebted to him for the course of my training.
    I think that he still trains out of Sirota's Alchemy in Richmond on Saturday
    afternoons.
    I think that he works on Balintawak and Kali Ilustrisimo now.

Take care
    Dave