Any, Aussie ( Sydney? ) Judoka?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I'm looking for recommendations on a Trad Judo school ... I'm well aware of the good schools at USYD and UNSW but these schools are more into the Olympic Judo ... I'm looking for old school Judo schools.

Thanks!

2. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

When you say that you're looking for "old school Judo schools", do you mean something more similar to jujutsu? Maybe you can try a non-competitive Japanese jujutsu dojo that does groundwork like Kano's judo.

The judo dojos in my area (not in Oz) mostly focus on the sporting aspect as well but I guess that's the forte of Kodokan. Atemi waza are used only while training judo kata. There's not so much focus on self-defense as there is on mat-time/rolling. That suits someone like me fine, as I like that about judo. But it seems like you're looking for something more like old-time jujutsu or combat judo. Sorry for not actually being able to help you find a school :eek:

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hey mate,

Yup, bang on ... I'm definately looking for combat/self defense oriented Judo ... maybe I should just go find a JJJ class but I've got covered most of what's dealt with in JJJ through my Taijiquan and I really want to practice takedowns and throws, but the full curriculum from Kano era Judo and not the limitations of modern Judo.

Best, Syd :)

4. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

5. Pudlem

Pudlem New Member

Hi, Im an Aussie Sydney Judoka from the sydney uni club !

We still do some old school judo, teaching the culture behind it and some of the banned aikido style wristlocks etc but admittedly we do focus on conditioning and randori alot....

Come in one monday, wednesday or thursday at 5:30pm HK ward gym (Sydney Uni) for a session, if you want, to see what the club is like !