Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by C-Fugazi, Jul 17, 2004.

1. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have never posted on here before (kickboxing forum) and I was hoping for some good advice from anyone who has a good working knowledge of Savate.

I have boxed and I now run a gym in Wales where I teach adults and young children how to box.I have never ever tried Kickboxing or Savate and was wondering how the two sports compare.
    I have to admit I am really impressed by Savate but unfortunately there are no teachers here in Wales (as far as I know).Kickboxing (dare I say it) seems to be the nearest thing to Savate and there are plenty of gyms to be found that can teach me.There is something I like more about Savate but Im not sure what.

The nearest Savate training course is in Guilford in Surrey which train every Wednesday which is out of the question for me since its practically a three hour drive.It would be far easier for me to go to Paris and find a gym there and try and take a crash course but I cant see my wife giving me the nod on that one.

Anyway,how different are Savate and Kickboxing.Savate seems a way faster sport from what I have seen from the two but then again what do I know.

Any advice would be great.Thanks

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Contact MAP Member Pugil, he teaches Savate in Cambridge, England.
    This is the link to his website:
    http://www.cambridgemartialarts.freeserve.co.uk/

He should be able to point you to the instructor courses run by whoever is the governing body for Savate in the British Isles, I believe that there is link on his site about Training Courses etc.

Good Luck.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

It looks like you may have to emigrate to Cambridge. :D

4. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Many Thanks.

5. If you box, kickboxing would probably be a better bet for you. In savate, kicks must total more than punches in every round, whereas Full contact you could get away with as few as 6 in a round. Do you want to fight or do it for fun?

I personally don't like savate - just seems like French kickboxing with more rules :);)