Anxiety, Wing Chun and Alcohol / Cannabis

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Locolad, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Locolad

Locolad New Member

Hello Forum, So back in November of last year i got into wing chun and have been practicing it daily ever since. I do Sil Lim Tao every single day without fail and Chum Kiu on other days, I have not moved on to Bui Jee just yet. My question though is, for years I'v been smoking Cannabis daily, and it would relax me, make me feel good, or even have little to no effect on me what so ever. I was never a big drinker but i had some crazy nights over the years and some bad hangovers. I am 22 now, and recently whenever I drink alcohol i have awful anxiety the next day, constantly focusing on my breathing, swallowing and heart rate and it also happens when i smoke weed. This never used to happen but i have always been an anxious person but not to the extreme that i am now. I am giving up both Cannabis and Alcohol, but do you think that daily training could have anything to do with the heightened anxiety from these substances that i used to enjoy? Thanks!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

No, but your daily smoking could increase your natural anxiety.

Reducing and doing without for a while may help, go see your GP for advice.

Monkey_Magic and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No, you are looking at it backwards. It is the cannabis that is sending your stress response out of whack, and the exercise is helping to regulate it. So your cannabis use is wiping out any positive effect your exercise might have on your anxiety levels.

Cannabis stimulates adrenal response, giving you higher levels of stress hormones. Regular use causes dysregulation of the endocrine systems related to stress and anxiety, and 22 years of age is too young to know what long term effects of usage will be for you. For the people I've known who had anxiety problems linked to cannabis use, the effects were cumulative and they used it without issue for years before encountering problems.

Marijuana Use and Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis Functioning in Humans

Heartbeat rates are increased the morning after drinking, so this could well be why you are finding yourself particularly anxious when hungover.

With the mixture of cannabis causing endocrine dysregulation and alcohol affecting blood pressure and heart rate, you are sending your stress response for a loop.

As Dead_pool says, stop and see your doctor. The symptoms you describe are exactly what friends of mine experienced before beginning to suffer from anxiety attacks. Might be worth ditching caffeine for a while too, if you are a coffee or tea drinker.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Locolad, Monkey_Magic and cloudz like this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Quit smoking, quit drinking, and train Wing Chun, you will be better for it. And much MUCH healthier too.

Locolad likes this.
  5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

^^This. Any long term use of a substance moves your baseline. This is why cigarette smokers become so grumpy while quitting, they've been pumping themselves full of a relaxant frequently and regularly and now "normal" feels terrible.

Grond, Dead_pool and Locolad like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I dunno about that. I don't drink or smoke and normal feels terrible an awful lot xD

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Actually nicotine is a stimulant. It only feels relaxing because the withdrawal symptoms have such a fast onset.

Homeostasis is a funny old thing.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Substances affect people differently. As much as people who are pro-cannabis go on about it's benefits, only because they are the ones who are feeling positive benefits. I have met many also where weed affects them badly. Anxiety, paranoia or just plain feeling "sucky".

As you said, you are trying to train without the substances, so good luck to you.

Dead_pool and abnjj like this.
  9. abnjj

abnjj New Member

I must suggest indica based cbd or (mod edit: deletion of promotion of drug use) but I would maybe suggest cbds to those who like weed I have almost quit weed all together cbds are awesome !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Welcome to MAP abnjj. Please note that promoting drug use is against our Terms of Service. You can find our TOS by clicking on the Terms and rules button on the bottom right hand corner of every page.

Discussions per the original topic related to drugs is ok. but telling someone what to smoke definitely crosses the line and is promoting drug use.

Thanks

From our TOS.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Grond likes this.
  11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Damn it David. I was trying to keep things simple and you come in here with your science and your chemistry. The sun is flat damn you!

David Harrison likes this.
  12. abnjj

abnjj New Member

it is not really a drug nor was i promoting but thanks for the heads up my message was though try cbds and stop cannabis use all together if possible

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Most CBD is purely scam marketing mixed in with the placebo effect.

14. abnjj

abnjj New Member

I beg to differ I use it for pain and nerve damage it very much works for me personally no placebo nonsense either it has also been proven to reduce tumors help with my sleeping also there have been a million medical studies as well were a someone has epilepsy and benefits are amazing also it helps greatly in pets for anxiety as well as humans I could go on and on but i think we all get the picture.
    I will say it can effect every one differently perhaps or have no effectiveness on certain individuals just like any other medications prescribed one the great things with cbd is minimal side effects!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
  15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm very happy that it works for you :)

I have no bias over whether it may or may not help other people. I would sincerely hope it does.

As for your other claims, I'm going to ask for evidence for each one in order please.

Proof it reduces tumours.

Links to medical studies on benefits for epilepsy.

Links to studies on reducing anxiety in pets.

Links to studies on side effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
  16. aaradia

Mod note: abnjj- you really need to read our TOS before posting again. We welcome your participation, as long as it is within our Terms of Service. Profanity, including abbreviations and other masked profanity is NOT allowed.

Repeated violations of our TOS could result in further mod actions. Let's not let it get there ok?:)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Grond likes this.
  17. aaradia

Links to studies regarding Cannabinoids in treatment of epiliepsy are in this article below. There was approval last year from the American FDA to use certain Cannabinoids to treat epilepsy. This is from the Epilepsy Foundation website.

Medical Marijuana and Epilepsy

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  18. aaradia

Preliminary study suggests it may help with anxiety disorders and is worth further research.

Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders

Easier to read article for mainstream reading.
    CBD oil for anxiety: Research, benefits, and risks

I have issues with people on the extremes of both sides. Some just are too dismissive of the possibilities of alternative medicines having real beneficial effect. On the other side, people take studies that suggest something may help and run with it and exaggerate studies. So that "studies suggest it may help anxiety" turns into "it DOES help anxiety- it is proven!"

David Harrison, Mitch and abnjj like this.
  19. abnjj

abnjj New Member

I am sorry for the wrong doing my friends this is a great board it does however really erk me when people down talk cbd and its true medical benefits here is a link i think covers almost everything cbd wise Studies on CBD and Neuropathic Pain

Grond, David Harrison and Mitch like this.
  20. abnjj

abnjj New Member

Project CBD: Medical Marijuana & Cannabinoid Science here is another from the same site I have been a active protester of cbd and medical cannabis supporter but like I mentioned with any medicine there are gonna be ups and downs .
    I do think cbd is great for many reasons that I have already listed you yourselves can be the judges but i have nerve damage and arthritis and with out it times would be a litter tougher for me as i used to take many prescribed medicines that had no good use and nasty side effects for me personally.

Grond and Mitch like this.