Antony Cummins - Latest News

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Manga, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

I don't know. I'm neither in the Genbukan nor speak Japanese; it's the title he's listed by on the Genbukan Hombu website. I figure though that someone with a doctorate in Japanese history as well as hachi/nana-dan and menkyo kaiden under Tanemura sensei would be a good source.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. Manga

Manga Moved On

Attached Files:

3. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Yamaga Ryu was actually studied by one of the first generations of Takagi Yoshin Ryu. Off the top of my head I forget which one it is.

The guy selling that densho is a pain in the back side. I would advise no one sells him any thing as he will just photocopy or scan it then sell again on to others. he ripped me off for a lot of money and paypal did not thing to help.

4. Manga

Manga Moved On

Thanks for the warning Poryu :cool:

5. emaaoz

emaaoz Valued Member

That was probably from me. There is a lovely video to go along with it too. Once I'm on a PC and not a phone I'll dig it out.

6. garth

garth Valued Member

Thanks Manga

Personally I have no horse in this race and would be using the term 'Caveat Emptor' in regard to any new work by a new author in any subject let alone Ninjutsu.

But although I havent been following the Anthony Cummins debate its interesting how he has suddenly jumped on me and claims that one should be careful of this man and his facts, meaning of course me.

My personal feeling is with this debate is that claims have been made by Mr Cummins that he has not been able to back up, i.e his training in Genbukan, and his years under Dr Hatsumi and looking at this a bit more I actually feel that this is an opportunity for him to make money, hense why he got a bit upset when I posted Caveat Emptor.

Anyway Manga thanks for replying. We havent always seen eye to eye but we agree on more things than you know.

Garth

7. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

8. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

His comment that I said it was a good translation is just another lie. He said it, so he should be able to post a link to the point where I said it was good. If he can't, that is all the proof I need to show that he is lying again.

I only commented on one of the translations, because I did not want to play his game. He admitted that he was trying to make me look bad. The one I did comment on I clearly showed was faulty and he tried to do a Stephen Kaufman by putting in his theories as to what it should read instead of what it actually says.

Let me make this clear, based on everything I have seen so far, this can't be considered a faithful translation of the original.

9. garth

garth Valued Member

Thanks Don

I really could'nt see you saying that it was a good translation

Garth

10. emaaoz

emaaoz Valued Member

11. emaaoz

emaaoz Valued Member

For the sake of completeness here's a second link

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10524&p=190972

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  12. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

In the Genbukan, as well as some other organizations/ryu-ha, there are multiple levels of shihan. Jun-shihan is a title that is tested for after nanadan. The Shihan test is taken after one has reached hachidan. These tests are done with a live sword, as opposed to a shinai. After a person completes the Jun-shihan test, they are referred to as a shihan in our organization.

A full description of this title and the test can be found here: http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?genbukan_titles_master_jun

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

As in a real live slice em and dice em katana? Or a mougito? What is the test for shihan? Same as the Bujinkan 5dan test just with a real sword? Thanks.

14. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

:jawdrop::jawdrop:

15. Katsujin-ken

Katsujin-ken Valued Member

In the Genbukan, there are several levels/titles of mastership. The first level is Renshi, which is tested for at 4th dan. This test consists of sitting in seiza facing towards Tanemura Soke, with eyes open, and evading a full-speed cut from a fukuro shinai.

The next master level is Kyoshi, which is tested for at 5th dan. This test is more reminiscent of the sakki test, in which the candidate is seated in seiza, with Tanemura Soke standing behind them with a fukuro shinai. If you can evade the full-speed daijodan makko giri, rolling completely out of the way, you pass. The clip below shows what this test is like @ the 4:16 mark:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGLIOt3NVs"]YouTube - Ninja Movie Trailer - Gift of Traditional Martial Arts[/ame]

After 7th dan, then the various Shihan-level tests are administered, and yes, they are done with a shinken :cool:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  16. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

The test for jun-shihan is the same cut as for kyoshi but with a real "slice and dice katana," as Katsujin-ken stated.

The shihan test is as follows: The student sits in seiza calmly meditating. Soke silently enters the dojo with a Shinken (real sword) and without a kiai, cuts makko giri (vertically), then do giri (horizontally). Soke sometimes changes the cut order to maintain authenticity. The student who evades both cuts calmly and without hesitation has passed the test. A student who passes this test is considered a first class martial artist (Bujun).

This description was taken from the following page: http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?genbukan_titles_master_shihan

17. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

It's nice to see that you don't happen upon the Shihan level tests without first proving, twice, you're probably going to survive the tests. :cool:

Cool stuff.

:hat:

18. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

What happens if Tanemura kills a student?

If he is cutting with full intent he won't be able to stop if the student does not move. If he is able to stop his cut, then he is not cutting with full intent.

19. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Well if they're ex-Bujinkan "traitorous dogs" isn't that want you wanted?

:D

20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

It probably wouldn't happen unless the student lost their head. They're supposed to be meditating calmly, afterall.

:Angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.