Antifa Forming "Self Defence" Group

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not too enthusiastic about that.

I don't think he's as bad as the media portrays him to be in their little propaganda war between them, but he's definitely not a unifying leader. I worry the problem will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Exactly, he's just a standard, unintelligent 70 year old, who's only really known other millionaires, and has been told he's great all his life, he's not overtly evil in intent, but in action, he sure is an enabler.

3. Ero-Sennin

I would argue that he's neither standard, nor unintelligent. Sheltered, disconnected to reality due to being sheltered, and ill-equipped for an environment where people who have authority to override his that disagree with him, sure, but he's by no means an idiot or standard.

There's a lot of people who are really smart that are disconnected to reality due to their biases and how they seek out information that confirms their biases. Most people in the political sphere have that based in either being on the left or on the right. Trump's bias and the info he seeks to confirm it seems very much based on himself only, and how he views himself.

4. Dead_pool

I would propose that means the man is uninteligent, if your unaware of your biases and your unable to review information correctly, that definitely doesnt make you intelligent.

5. Whit

Whit Valued Member

To repeat, i told them to stop putting posters up and handing out leaflets on uni ground, they are not allowed to do that.

An argument started with them not wanting to leave or remove the posters, one of them then implied i was a fascist and the other swung for me.

Stepped in, Covered,left elbow caught his fist, right elbow in his chest, push kicked to other one over and then a ran as fast as i could. Nothing fancy or brave about it i was out of there.

6. Ero-Sennin

Social/Political awareness or the ability to operate in it wasn't the measure of intelligence last time I looked. If you want to operate on your own definition fine, but that's not the agreed upon definition we go by as a society.

7. Dead_pool

Intelligence includes the ability to rate, select, and use information, trump does none of those particularly well.

To quote a few sources

Google dictionary.

"
    intelligence
    ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒ(ə)ns/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills."
    Wiki

"Intelligence has been defined in many different ways including as one's capacity for logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, planning, creativity, and problem solving. It can be more generally described as the ability or inclination to perceive or deduce information, and to retain it as knowledge to be applied towards adaptive behaviors within an environment or context."

I wouldn't say trump does any of these particularly well.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I can't speak for America or what the kids are up to these days, but when I think of anti-fascist groups I think of the people who stood up to the organised violence of nationalism in the 1970's and 1980's who the police either couldn't, or didn't want to, stop.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

10. Ero-Sennin

So I guess somebody who can write brilliantly but can't do algebra to save their life are unintelligent.

The definition of intelligence is broad. You would do better to say his social and political intelligence is lacking then to attack him generally as a person saying he's unintelligent.

11. Ero-Sennin

You don't become a billionaire in a cut throat line of business without having some form of intelligence, even if you were given the opportunity to get there by getting money and connections through a previous generation.

12. Dead_pool

What would you say trump is intelligent in?

Demigogary?

13. Dead_pool

So he's intelligent because he's rich?

Even so he is exceptionally uninteligent generally.

14. David Harrison

While I would not defend the Soviet Union, I think you are falling for the militaristic triumphalism of the US here.

How many tens of millions have died because of the actions of Western capitalism since WWII? You could hardly call it a benign system.

Anyway, many people considered hard left were more about revolutionary Catalonia than Stalin or Trotsky.

15. David Harrison

Just as not every white nationalist is a murderer because of Charlottesville, I don't think you can judge every person who identifies as anti-fascist on the actions of a handful of idiots.

They are hardly a revolutionary force. Football is a bigger threat to society in terms of violence and property damage.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

17. Ero-Sennin

Let'st not forget about China, and other communist regimes that murdered many of their own before that system fell.

We're not talking about proxy wars, deception, and taking advantage of people in other countries here though. We're talking about identity politics causing civil war and genocide.

18. Ero-Sennin

I would say more along the lines that he's intelligent because he's a con man, and a pretty good one at that. Con men generally are pretty intelligent people.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. David Harrison

I don't know by what measure you are calling the regimes under Stalin or Mao "identity politics". But, if we were to, in what way is capitalism not identity politics? During the cold war it was framed as much by the fear of the poor taking the means of production from the elite via communism as it was by any self-definition.

Capitalism is the identity politics of the captains of industry?

Or do you mean to say that a political system is to be judged by the harm it does domestically, but not abroad?

20. Dead_pool

I would agree with that generally to a certain extent, but his I wouldn't describe him as generally intelligent, overall his intelligence flaws make him a terrible leader, but an excellent conman.