Anthropogenic Global Warming

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Slindsay, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Here's a link to scholar* with all the hits for the term Anthropogenic Global Warming since the year started, 462 papers so far:

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar...obal+warming&as_sdt=2000&as_ylo=2010&as_vis=0

Anyone who thinks that humans don't contribute to climate change want to go through them and find all the ones that agree with them? (Hint - there don't seem to be any in the first 30 results except maybe one that I can't even access the abstract for)

And yet none of these papers are reported in the newspapers, god I hate science reporting in the media.

* Sometimes digs up stuff I'd struggle with saying should be considered an academic publication

2. Atre

Atre Valued Member

ISI Web of Knowledge will only pull up peer reviewed stuff.

Back on topic, I like your point. I wonder if anyone will bite :p.

nb./ Using ISI is the fastest way to realise that most scientists publish large volumes of very boring crap.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Oh, god, slindsay, please don't generate the return of Dhalsim-On or one of his clones/incarnations.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before:

1. Water is posited as the main driver, not CO2,

2. AGW is touted as a plot by the West to keep the underdeveloped nations underdeveloped,

3. That the whole 'email scandal' last year proves that there is something to hide on this issue.

All the same, thanks, slindsay for looking up the stuff, though. I'll enjoy looking through when I actually get one of my rare spare moments.

paz,

dormindo

4. Slindsay

No one will bite because very few people who criticise climate science on forums gets the scientific process. ISI is good as a search but it's very limited sometimes, google scholar on the other hand has consistently improved BUT you need to be very careful about checking the validity of it's hits. Swings and roundabouts :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, sorry.

It's easy to do, anyone can use scholar to search for academic articles and, whilst you might have to pay to access full journal articles the abstract is free, only takes a minute to read and should tell you everything you need to know.

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Oh, yeah, I've had to use it and other search engines a time or two (I'm currently a research intern in the Center for Public History at my university). I just never thought to look up the stuff on AGW. Hopefully, I can give what you posted a look this weekend.

It is interesting that the east coast (U.S.) is getting very strong blizzards this winter and even here in Houston the temps have been as much as 15 degrees (fahrenheit) below average and I'm hearing people use that as their reasoning to invalidate AGW (they appear to be getting too caught up in the term 'warming'.

paz,

dormindo

6. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Or you might be wrong and man made global warming is a hoax.

Did you even see the mails ?

7. Slindsay

Of course I did, I'm illustrating how ridiculous it is to decide the whole thing is a hoax based on some mildly suspect e-mails and the ridiculously low quality of scientific reporting in the press. Have any of these articles been reported in the news? Have you bothered to read any of them? Why do you think that even after these e-mails have come out there isn't a flood of other sacientists releasing papers to discredit the global warming idea?

8. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

I've always been a skeptic those emails werent needed for me to become one. But honestly after the emails how can anyone still trust the IPCC ?

9. Topher

Topher allo!

Because even if the research centre in question was behaving outright fraudulently (it wasn't), the IPCC's research is not based entirely on the work of that centre.

It's a bit like saying that one so-called corrupt football team proves every football team is corrupt.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think once you start disbelieving the evidence, you're getting into a creationist/holocaust denier level of imperviousness to reason. The worst thing is how these loonies manage to portray themselves as some kind of subversives when their views are propping up multinational corporations and rightwing politicians.