another tkd scandal story

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by tkd ajumma, Dec 7, 2003.

1. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

interesting story in the Korea Herald newspaper yesterday, 'Taekwondo Leader held on election fraud'

Quote:
    'The head of South Korea's scandal-plagued taekwondo association has been arrested on charges of rigging his election last year by mobilizing martial arts henchmen, prosecutors said yesterday.

Prosecutors arrested Koo Chun-seo on Thurs and charged him with using 300 'gangsters' and taekwondo experts to block rivals from entering the conference room where he was unanimously elected chairman in February last year.

The top echelons of Korea Taekwondo Association, the national governing body on the sport, have been embroiled in scandal for years.

Also arrested on charges of aiding Koo in his alleged crime was Lee Seung wan, an ex-convict who once mobilized gangsters to disrupt an opposition political rally in 1987. Lee is now an adviser for the taekwondo association' (Associated Press) (End of article)

Unbelievable - my black belt has Korea Taekwondo Association embroidered on it. I think I'll go buy a new one tomorrow if that's the kind of advisers they are using....

2. Ara

Ara New Member

THere is alot of corruption in any executive board of any organsisation. Its good to see that the same corruption doesnt filter down into the schools ( at least not many, a small percentage perhaps) and TKD at base level is still strong, between instructor and student

3. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

are you talking about corruption in tkd schools England, or in Korea?

different nationalities have very different views about what constitutes 'corruption', and what is simply 'helping out your friends' or doing someone a favour.

I can't imagine the story above, with thugs blocking the way into an election, happening in the UK. Could someone with a previous record of misusing their martial arts knowledge to such a ridiculous extent, going against the whole ethos and tenets of taekwondo, ever become an adviser to a UK tkd governing body? Maybe they could, and am I just being naive?

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... says it all here. .... nothing new

Politics abound not only in the KTA but the ITF and WTF as well.

5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Politics in martial arts organizations?

Nah...I don't believe it...

(sarcasm mode off)

6. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

Just take a look at the current issue of Taekwondo Times...article on Dr. Un Yong Kim to step down as President of WTF, story on the decertification process of the USTU and the battle in the ITF on who's running the Organization....

Unfortunately it does filter down to the schools...because it affects those schools that are involved,schools that take part in state and national organizations,schools that travel to these national/international events...it affects the athletes in these schools as well