Another silat expert!

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Gajah Silat, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

All I have to say is...

Attached Files:

3. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Start to wonder if this person has actually ever seen Persilat matches. Obviously never the wide range of bela-diri/self defense expressions

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Guy hasnt a clue!

*Edit: Quotes added for Telner ;) :p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. Gajah Silat

Yep. I've never really liked the Sport/Tanding thing. It seems to me that it came about to make silat more like everything else to legitamise it in an International context. I really don't think it fits very well as a sport....

BIG flaws. However, there are styles that have a lot of groundwork too.

Dunno about that. I trained to parry all common punches to the head, we spent a lot of time on this and even use a very boxing type guard! Still perhaps a little Muay Thai that crept into the style so maybe that's why, low kicks and knees too. Or maybe this was always there but took a back seat to weapon strike adaptations. Who knows.

That's the thing with silat, everybody does it differently and every style has different stuff but most of it still ends up looking very similar.:bang:

I was watching a DVD of a collection of rarer styles last night. All the jurus were very different, but at the end they had applications from every style....they were all pretty much the same:)

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Sarge, you have GOT to stop smoking that Mexican rope before you go to work. That is just about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard about Silat.

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Tellner methinks you didn't read the link... that's a direct quote and one that sarge goes on to criticise!

8. Sgt_Major

lol... I should have surrounded it by quote tags....

*Goes to edit original post

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I read the opinions on the web site on some other thread around here a few days ago. My impression of his analysis can be summed up fairly well by the picture tellner put up, not only about Silat but other arts as well. He is making some gross generalizations that he expects visitors will perhaps think are profound due to his analytical window dressing.

As sarge said, this "guy hasn't a clue". He is perpetuating some stereotypes in the worst way.

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Sorry 'bout that Sarge. I mixed up the quote and your comment.

The AUTHOR OF THE ORIGINAL should stop smoking that Mexican rope before he goes to work :)

11. Sgt_Major

heh heh heh - no worries mate, easy mistake to make.

I emailed him by the way to stress his apparent lack of a clue.... Not had any reply yet :D

12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Did you start the letter with "Fill your hand you son of a *****"?

13. Gajah Silat

DOH! Made the same mistake too, thought it was a strange thing for Sarge to write. I was thinking "surely Sarge knows we have groundfigting and parry punches" , but I better keep the response polite:rolleyes:

Even found myself agreeing about the Tanding stuff! The only thing he has a point with!

Maybe I should have re-read the guys comments. :hammer: