Another school shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dave76, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/us/colorado-school-shooting/

At least this didn't have a high body count. Also kudos to the police for a great response time, although it would be better if we could just learn to raise emotionally healthy kids and not have to worry about police response times.

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

What the heck is wrong with America?

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This is just an idea, but could the fact he was quite quick to stop shooting and kill himself be a sign that he wasn't that committed to it? After the last major one I was reading some stuff from people about how having it all over the news was causing more harm than good because it creates copycat shootings and gives way too much fame and attention to the shooter. Any chance he just thought that was the way you were supposed to do these things?

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

It would appear he was looking for a teacher, his debate team coach. Sounds like he took a shot and missed or couldn't find him so he turned the gun on himself. The coach left the school in an attempt to get the shooter away from the other kids.

5. Southpaw535

Never mind then :)

Depending who you ask its either too many kids watch tv and play videogames or they have access to way too many guns.

6. Wildlings

which is also true in most Europe

which anyway doesn't explain school shooting in particular.
    One would think of office shooting, church shooting and neighbourhood shooting too, yet you don't hear about these as much.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To be fair, America is a lot safer than many countries.

8. Southpaw535

I dunno I can think of a couple shootings that weren't at schools. None that made as big headlines as Aurora but then kids being shot is a much juicier story. I'm not that sure school shootings happen that much more often than others especially taking into account younger people are probably more likely to do something dumb like that.

9. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I view it as a mental health problem. Yes, too much video games and tv time probably is a contributing factor but I suspect there are deeper problems here. Problems like this have many contributing factors mixed with a lack of a mental health system to help people before they get to this point.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

My edit

11. Wildlings

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was pointing out that it seems to have a big problem with school shooting - you can't deny it seems to be a sort of...trend?

Yes, the media certainly play a role. But the school shooting rate in America is much higher than anywhere else, while the general shooting rate isn't. Makes me wonder.

12. Southpaw535

Just to make my own position clear since I brought up the tv/games thingy, I was being sarcastic and deliberately weighting my answer towards guns. There's zero proof for the games-violence link when it comes to shootings and I imagine that goes for tv too.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It's an American tradition at this point.

14. holyheadjch

The US is incapable of common sense gun control reform, but the US media should try not to turn the perpetrators of mass shootings into rock stars, because that is fuelling this problem. You have a load of very troubled people who are seeing equally troubled people being offered a form of immortality by the news networks who offer 24/7 coverage of these events.

Report the event, but don't talk about the shooter beyond abstract information. 'The police have arrested a 25 year old man in connection with the shooting' is more than enough information.

15. Southpaw535

I know the title is about the gaming aspect, it is a gaming channel after all, but it does throw some stuff in at the start about the possible media effects on causing shootings

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4"]Tragedy and Video Game Violence - YouTube[/ame]

16. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Of course. "Common sense" laws tends to be a troublesome concept in anything but the most complete of autocracies or the most ideologically-homogeneous of nations, since there often can be disagreement or conflict over whose ideas and choices constitute "common sense".

Pretty much. Unfortunately, American "journalism" (which these days all too often is more "digital entertainment" rather than information media) believes "if it bleeds, it leads".

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

considering how much tv americans watch and how many video games we play, i don't see any study with a legitimate correlation. literally, billions have been killed on xbox; if there was a correlation, there'd be roving gangs of teenagers picking people off a la gta.

although i'm firmly on the side of thinking we need more regulation regarding background checks, i don't see it as the number of guns. dude, i live here, and i have no idea why some fools go a killing.

18. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

He was confronted by an armed recourse officer (police stationed at the school) and then committed suicide.

The US is not that high.
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1454

19. holyheadjch

Not that high for a third world country. You're just ahead of Pakistan.