another question from moi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kris x, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Kris x

Kris x :-p

What is a true Martial Artist?

Can someone please define this for me I have my own idea but I could be wrong,
    Is it someone who trains everyday?
    Is it someone who never loses insperation?
    Is it someone who wishes to find happiness and fulfillment through theyre art?
    Is it someone who seeks enlightenment?
    Or maybe all of the above?

Do we even know what a true martial artist is?

If you take a MAtist who trains 7 days a week,
    then someone who trains once a week,
    is the person who trains once a week less of a martial artist?

Please note: This is of no great importance I'm just bored,mkay.
    :D
    :)
    :p
    :eek:
    :woo:

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think there are a 100 definitions out there. For me, if you think your a martial artist, you are. Just that some are better than others.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Purely personal IMO ... but a martial artist is nothing more than someone who practices martial arts. :)

4. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Martial artists are what happens when you get a perfectly good potential fighter and convince him that hand to hand combat techniques are meant to enlighten him and make him look good and, incidentally, all that sweaty sparring and hard work and pain arenĀ“t really necessary to achieve results.

Yes, I am also bored.

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

No, that is someone who is called an 'overtrainer' :D ;)
    No, I think everyone has down days and sometimes loses sight of the path.
    No, I find pleasure in MA but true happiness and fulfillment I find in being a good person, adding to my community and being a good mom.

Again, I found enlightenment about MA through MA, but not about life's bigger questions.
    Or maybe none of the above? Or maybe some of the above? Or maybe some for others and not for everyone? ;)

I know I define myself as a martial artist, but I probably wouldn't fit in many other people's definitions. And you know what? I don't really care if I fit anyone else's parameters for "true martial artist". Do it for yourself - have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. :D

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... like I said it's a truly personal definition.

I am quite a different martial artst then say Mrs. Owt or WC Lawyer.... does that make me any less or more of a martial artist ? I think not.

Better to ask the question ... What is a false Martial Artist no? ;)

7. Kris x

I think I asked the question wrong,
    I would like to know everyones opinions,
    Well I think I have a rough idea of a false martial artist in my opinion.
    Whats everyone elses?
    :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  8. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

Back at ya

IMHO you are a M.A or not.
    If you are, there are many different levels, and different intensities.
    I believe it dosen't matter what style, although I'm bias toward my school and what I teach, But again that's just me. Nike hade the best phrase.. "Just Do It!" Not everyone has the ability to become great but they try their best. I would take a student like that any day over someone w/ a lot of natural tallent and could give a s... Well I've rambled enough, I have more minds to corrupt.

Later

9. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

People only call themselves true martial artists when they want to put down how other people train or when they want to pretend to be all spiritual and above the riff-raff who train for "the wrong reasons". Like others have said, there is no real definition and you're much better off just forgetting about it and enjoying your training.

10. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I agree with KickChick. You don't have to follow some code of honor or meditate under a waterfall every morning. You just have to practice martial arts.

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Have to disagree here. There is a definition, it's just up to that individual to define what makes them a "true" martial artist, and not necessarily how others define them ;)

12. tommy

tommy New Member

I think if you make your training a significant part of your life, you train to reach your personal potential, and learn beyond the weekend warrior mentality, then you are true to the art you are studying. If you do these things and believe you are training with all your "mind , body and spirit", then you are a martial artist, regardless of rank.

My opinion...

I paint the occasional picture, but I wouldn't dare call myself an artist.

I fixed the toilet once, but I'm no plumber....

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

a couple of days ago, i posted on a thread called "when can you call yourself a martial artist?" (it's somewhere here. i'm too lazy to post the link).

i guess my reply to your question would be the same as my reply there:

"if someone calls you a martial artist".

lest some people get the impression that i put too much weight on what other people say, it simply means this:

"should such titles and lables matter to you? we do what we do regardless"

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think you become a true martial artist when you live your life according to the values of your art. In other words when you practice your art in your everyday life as opposed to solely in the training hall.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

So you would call UFC fighters over"trainers"? cause i'd call them gods.
    what exactly do you meant my 'over train' too much, wrong reasons? what.

16. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Well, to be a true martial artist one must have his family killed at a young age by a rogue clan of ninjas. Upon that day you must swear revenge and train every day under and abusive 76 year-old janitor who walks with a limp and answers every question with "Why not." or "How so?". Using your family's ancient flying-chi-ball mindbullet-dim-mak-crashimodocraptaka style you will then win the local karate tournament through an illegal kick to the face and then go one to face the ninja clan at their secret operations at the head of SONY Japan.

Nah, to be a true martial artist you have to practice martial arts and preferably enjoy it; no romantic stuff is necessary.

17. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

Who? Me? Who are these people? I DON'T NEED AN INTERVENTION!

:D

18. Kris x

19. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

If you have to say you don't need an intervention...it probably means that you do!!!! :rolleyes:

Do MA when you want to do MA, not when you need to do MA. :D

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

that's news to me! :eek: