Another interclub! That didn't suck!

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Southpaw535, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think this is the 4th of these I've done for K1 so you know the drill by now :p

We finally had another interclub and as usual that means sharing bad videos of me. I was meant to have 2 fights at this one but unfortunately one of my opponents didn't turn up and the other one I think went home. I ended up getting a fight with one of my training partners instead which was both a bit disappointing, and made me very happy since I was near the end of the day and I had tired myself out by trying to work out who I was fighting and trying to size them up.

Also, my mate normally kicks the crap out of me but today was pretty competitive. I've tried to make an effort to actually move around a bit now and not just stay in front of someone which I think was a bit part of me getting overwhelmed so much in previous ones. Plus I seem to be developing a decent body kick. I actually hurt him with it but thought I'd kicked him in the groin so I stopped :p

Also clinch knees. I know they exist now.

But yeah so I'm very happy with this, I feel like its a huge improvement over my previous ones. I didn't get dropped numerous times for one thing...

So video! I am the man who does not have the arms for sleeveless tops but wears them anyway.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4QoGEaVNUo&feature=youtube"]Interclub 09/13 - YouTube[/ame]

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

This is such an improvement! Rally good to see your progress. Well done!

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Looking a lot sharper :)
    Do you fight orthodox as well?

4. Southpaw535

Nah. I've tried mixing in more switches and I quite like step through crosses to set up head kicks from orthodox but I'm not comfortable enough to do that in sparring yet.

Having just watched it myself the big lesson seems to be tucking my chin in exchanges. Leaning back with my head up seems like a good way to get knocked out.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

How come you're fighting K-1 rules in a cage and not a ring? Are you training for cage fighting? The last video I saw of yours was in a ring.

Nice video by the way. Only real criticism I could give is that you seem to be standing a little too square on at times, though this may be the angles I'm seeing you from as you fight southpaw.

Yep it definitely is. I'm currently suffering from a busted nose (fortunately it's not broken, just extremely sore at the moment) from doing the exact same thing. Fortunately I'm not a glass cannon and can actually take the shots better than I think I can. Haha.

When I'm back to full sparring fitness (I'm only doing body sparring at the moment) I'll throw some videos up. I think I have some old ones somewhere but I have no idea where they are, lol.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. Southpaw535

My gym has both so the fights are split between them to save time :)

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent Aaron.

There are loads of improvements since the last video.

The kicks at long range are nice and I like your footwork.
    Good hand/foot combinations, clinches and knees, again all improved from your last fight.

Your opponent looked quite linear, especially compared to your left/right circling. Feinting as well as that footwork will work well for you. A little drop of the shoulder, feint the jab and throw the rear cross etc.

Good work.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Excellent use of the rear leg kick in the mismatched stance.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Nice one Southpaw.

Props for posting. Looked good.

Cheers

Dan93

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Brilliant SP, thanks for posting that and you look so much more confident and capable now, huge progress. Looks like your getting the feel for range of your kicks now.

My experience of K1 is on the low side of bugger all so I'm not going to offer any advice, but I did notice your guard position is quite different to your partner's. He has his elbows pushed forward and pulled in more often, creating a tighter guard over the front. Your elbows look to be down and flared out to the sides as a result, which seems to open up the front and exacerbate the feeling of you being square on.

For all I know there might be a really good reason for this so I don't mean it as advice or criticism, just an observation :)

Great video dude, thanks for posting :)

Mitch

11. Southpaw535

Nope I just have a crappy guard :D

12. Unreal Combat

Thank you for pointing this out. I am glad I am not the only one who thought Southpaw seemed square on.

Get your shoulder forward more so you're not so square on, guarding your body with your arm and elbow to protect against the front kick & side kick, and touch your cheeks regularly. A few times when you took headshots your hands were down away from your face when you weren't actually delivering. You need to keep that guard nice and tight at all times, even when you get tired because when you tire out is when you are most relaxed and also when you are most vulnerable.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well done Southpaw! Good on you for posting this! :)

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

pretty good, mate. not much to add to what's already been said. i think the biggest difference though was that now you're comfortable working at close range instead of getting a BSOD when the brawling starts like in your other fights. all told, you improved a ton, though, so props on that.

15. Southpaw535

I want more people to post up footage of them training. I think its a great training aid and I personally love watching how other people/styles train. Might as well lead by example :p

16. Unreal Combat

Why not start up a training videos thread then?

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good work Southy! Great improvement from last time.

18. Southpaw535

We've had a couple but they inevitably fizzle out and die. Obviously a big part of that is no one wants to record stuff all the time, that's a giant pain in the bum, so you'll upload a couple things but then move on with your life.

We did have a thread specifically for sparring videos that did pretty well though.

19. Hive

Hive Valued Member

My only criticism would be that the footage is in 240p! Come on it's 2013! ;)

20. Southpaw535

Take it up with Samsung ;) Uploading direct to facebook is even worse