Another Gun Control Thread... No Wait...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuniku, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Go to any online forum and you're bound to get a thread about gun control and people arguing back and forth over the matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/justi...ww.cnn.com/2013/04/09/justic...ing/index.html

Saw this on another forum I frequent. Various arguements already happening there along the lines of "The tool doesn't make the atrocity the person weilding it does" "this wouldn't have happened if the teachers were armed" and "at least it would have been worse if it was a gun attack"

People will always do sick things, some people are just like that sadly, the tools we allow them to use can arguably make these cases more or less severe when the unfortunate does happen.

Some argued that the attacker didn't intend to kill anyone, and that it could've been worse had he targed more vital areas or what not.

Eitherway, not a nice event, I hope there are no resultant deaths (last I read there was 14 injured 2 critical)

Discuss

2. Alexander B

Alexander B Valued Member

Gun crime has decreased exponentially since the 60's. If it wasn't enough of a problem them to warrant an amending of the Constitution than it certainly isn't now. Also, there is no coorelation between stricter gun control laws and less crime. You don't believe me? Look at Chicago. It has the strictest gun control in the nation yet also boasts one of the highest firearm crime rates (Detroit or LA might beat them though... both also have gun control laws). Present me a valid explanation for the institution of more strict gun control legislation and I would be happy to address it point by point. As it stands I've heard absolutely no argument that could persuade me to rally for gun control in virtually any way sans for more intricate background checks.

EDIT: An example for why I'm pro-background checks would be Switzerland. To purchase a gun in Switzerland one must first get a Weapon Acquisition Permit. Anyone with a mental disability or identified as posing a security risk, or who has a criminal record (Criminal Records Bureau check required) cannot be issued a permit. The mental health, and criminal background checks alone would eliminate most of the individuals who make the news in regards to mass shootings from the gun owning population of America while ensuring capable, law-abiding citizens are still allowed their right to a firearm.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013