Another awful sword video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's been a while since Youtube provided me with anything truly awful to share with you all, but while I was browsing yesterday I found a video of an 8th dan grading in karate which contained a very questionable use of Japanese swordwork against multiple attackers:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BagljDW3Ojs[/ame]

A warning to purists out there: you're going to yell at your screens!

Honestly, I've seen more realistic swordfights between two kids who have picked up a couple of sticks in the park. I particularly like the bit starting from 0:22 where the opponent literally stands there with his sword raised to be hit repeatedly for about 4 seconds despite numerous obvious openings for counter attacks (i.e. major flaws in the technique of the guy wearing the hakama).

Far too much posing, far too much sword twirling, too much focus on hitting the opponent's sword rather than cutting the opponent, all in all just not something that should be on the web under the title of "8th dan test".

In his defence, I'm not commenting at all on his unarmed stuff, which I haven't watched. However, it's very clear that he doesn't understand the sword very well at all. If it was part of an 8th dan test to know useful techniques and strategies with that weapon, the contents of this form should have been an automatic fail.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reaction, I can tell you it's too early and I don't have the energy. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd like to hear some background on him and the system, maybe invite him here?

It's only fair after all, give him a chance to put his side forward.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This feels relevant

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU[/ame]

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Zero evasion and turns his back to opponent face-on = death.

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I think it‘s really sweet that you sword fights take turns attacking a single target, rather than rushing him at once.
    Not like those ruffians who use their hands and feet - they would never be so chivalrous!

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That is what you almost always see in video clips with multiple attackers, with or without weapons. Honestly, I can't think that I have ever seen otherwise.

I have never understood that.:bang:

Swords or not, if you face multiple attackers, you are in big trouble. Because one body can only physically deal with so many limbs - weapons coming in at you at once, regardless of skill level.

8. embra

embra Valued Member

If you evade, you have some chance, however small, to escape more than 1 attacker. Without evasion, and especially via anything sharp, you are kebabed and/or sliced.

Successful escape depends somewhat on the proximity and relative angles of the concurrent attacks.

If the attackers know what they are about, and can attack you as a pack - to close your escape lines, your chances, no matter your training and capability are very, very small.

In a drunken bar-room pint glass brawl, there is a little bit more leeway, provided you are not surprised and you surprise them - for about 1 second or so - with evasive escape.

If you escape, hanging around afterwards to prove a point, is folly of the highest order.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is it just me or is this *ahem* "wespon work" exactly the same as the sword but with a bo?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-Amnyo6EU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-Amnyo6EU[/ame]

also -100000 points because he says "bo staff"

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just looks like a demo to please the crowd more than anything else if I am honest.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It looks like a demo, but it's part of a grading....and it's pretty poor

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I cannot abide all that American a-whoopin' and a-hollerin' by the audience.
    Especially for a pretty-poor demo let alone any sort of skills on offer.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

These people live in a strange fantasy land, where skill is measured by how many times you can offer your back to your opponent, and twirling.

15. David Harrison

That's because you're British, and we cannot abide acknowledging success ;)

The music annoys me more. Though I guess making it look more like a bad dance routine is fitting in this case.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There is no such thing as success. Only a brief continuation of not failing.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That ain't a sword form.

THIS is a sword form!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBLRATj6Njo[/ame]

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

19. David Harrison

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Somewhere the ghost of Miyamoto Musashi is face palming two spectral katana through his own face.