Another 1000th post thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tika, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

Well, I hit 1000... quite quickly too. Hopefully Im not tooooo much of a "post whore"

Ive been close to a 1000 for about a week and I am having a lot of trouble trying to think of a fun question to ask, or neat thingy to do on this thread. I loved booksies with her "tell us something we dont know about you" idea ...that one was good..

Ok, for selfish reasons, why dont you all tell me the name of your favorite book, and why you love it....

I think my favorite book so far is "Goodnight Mr. Tom", by Michelle Magorian. Ive read it like six times. Its considered a kids book, and I read it for the first time in 6th, but it still gets to me every time I read it. Its a quick read (only about 300 pages). Its about a little boy who got evacuated from London and sent to live with a grumpy old man during one of the world wars. The boy was severely abused by his mother, and the story is about how the boy and the old man help eachother.... its a great great book.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Many Congratulations!

"Goodnight Mr. Tom" was made into a TV Drama here in the UK - Starred John Thaw.

It's also available on DVD.

It was very very moving. Especially the part where they find the boy locked under the stairs with his baby sister. :cry:

Nice ending though. :)

I'm not much of a reader myself apart from the odd Karate book or Computer Manual. :sado:

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Congrats Tika! I have enjoyed all of your posts and hope to read 1,000's more!!!:)

Personally, the book I would take on a desert island would be "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. No deep reason except for the facts that he weaves a story incredibly well, you can always find new nuances in his work and the chapters on Jesus possibly having siblings give you new scope for thought. It is one of the few books that I truly enjoy re-reading and have done so on several occasions. It is my "old-reliable" when I am out of sorts and just want to lose myself in a story. All of his other works are great as well, I just find this one particularly suited to me.

Keep at it Tika - you have to get started on your 2,000th post thread, that should come up in a couple of weeks, no?:p

4. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Mrs. O, I read that book too. Just a few weeks ago. When I got to the end I realized I liked his novel "Foucalt's Pendulum" a lot better. Maybe because it was set in the more modern world and had Rosicrucians and Illuminati and secret societies and what not in it. The Name of the Rose confused the hell outta me for a while, I spent a lot of it asking, now what the hell is going on? I loved the chapters on Fra Dolcino though, never knew about the character. The story was well woven, I loved the ending, but in my mind it wasn't as superb as that of FOUCALT'S PENDULUM.
    Ohh, I forgot to mention my favorite book. It's (no surprise here) FOUCALT'S PENDULUM by Umberto Eco. In close positions are War and Peace from Tolstoy and Pudd'nhead Wilson from Mark Twain.
    I loved FOUCALT'S PENDULUM because it was brilliantly put together, the author's style was enjoyable plus all the historical links appealed to me as a nerd. :D

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Congratulations Tika [​IMG] Now you can start thinking about what you'll ask us when you reach 2000.

I'll have to agree with Mrs O's choice of the book. I read some other very good books too but let's keep it down to this one, for now [​IMG]

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Funny how we interpret things Scarlet. I found "Foucalt's Pendulum" a harder read! It confused me more than Rose did. I think the reason Rose appealed to me is because it isn't set in the modern world.

I don't think it has anything to do with your sophistication level but with what speaks to you. That is why Eco is one of my favorite authours. He can set a story in a medival monastery or modern day cosmopolitan city and still suck us in and make us want to keep reading. He doesn't depend on gimmicks or formula's - but he does demand alot of his reader.

7. Scarlet Mist

That's exactly what he said in the Postscript to the Name of the Rose. But he is brilliant, I hope he writes another novel before he dies.

8. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Scarlet, he has written quite alot and not all fiction. Some of his moral essays and observations are really worth reading. Check out some more titles here:
    http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_amazon.html

Happy reading!

9. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Congratulations on the 1000 post.
    I suppose if I had to pick one it would be “To Kill a Mocking Bird’ by Nelle Harper Lee. I loved the movie also.

10. Scarlet Mist

Yeah, I know he's written essays and dissertations. But I'm a novel person, so I haven't really read any yet. I will sometime in the future however.

11. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Congrats my distant tacklin' buddy. :)
    I enjoy reading so much that I might have to visit this thread several times to make additional entries.
    For the moment I'll join the Eco fans and urge them to look out for Neal Stephenson author of Cryptonomicon and Quicksilver.
    Even the techies will like Cryptonomicon, a historical high tech adventure story spanning several decades. Often with real people and facts!

Yes my choice for today Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well, even tho you don't like me anymore I still love to read your posts. Keep writing and anyone ticks you off, give them what for.....

13. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

14. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

Congrats Tika. I think Goodnight Mr. Tom was the first book that actually upset me. Doesn't happen too often. Others include His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman), and Without Remorse (Tom Clancy).

The book I'd probably take with me is War and Peace. Partially because it's so long, partially because it's so good, but mostly because I didnt understand it that well the first time :D

15. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

I have an anthology of Kurt Vonagut that would have to be the one, my favorite story in it would be Slaughterhouse Five.

16. Tika

Tika New Member

*tackle* dont like you anymore???? BAHH :p... rubbish.

Thanks everyone :D... This thread is serving a great purpose for me. I need to pick out another book or two for vacation since I accidentally read one of the ones I was bringing and Im just about to start the next one that I was bringing..eek...

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I know, just wanted to see what your response was. :)

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

congratulations tika on your 1000th post.

my favorite book is the little prince. i read it at least twice a year. a close second would be the godfather, which i might add is one of the best written books ever.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

...you had to choose a difficult question didn't you?

Favourite book varies depending on my mood, but the ones I re-read are the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper, and the Ship Who Sang series by Anne McCaffrey.

20. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Congrats Tika *return tackle - totally ignoring copyright*.

I'm an avid reader (always have been), but never able to read 'classic' litrature or instruction manuals. So I'm stuck with 40+ years of reading what a lot of what serious people call 'rubbish' (but I like it... :D )

So: Any of the series by Piers Anthony (Bio of a Space Tyrant is a great view of USA politics), a lot of the Harry Harrison Sci-Fi stuff (Deathworld series), but to pick one I'll go for Lyndon Hardy with Master of the Five Magics.

Possible MA crossover in the last one, where a young apprentice in a world where people stick with a single realm of magic throughout their career. The star of this book is forced (or moves) from one element to the next without becoming a master of any - but he has the vision and instinct to use the appropriate bit of knowledge in the appropriate situation. I've read elsewhere in MAP that the master of any art may be beaten by a technique he has never seen before.