annyoing classmate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by the artist, May 13, 2013.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

hey guys I want your advice on something. I just started martial arts in a local school, it Is really great, amazing place, people, and great instructor. it is my first week and all was cool, until a another martial arts student in my level came ( beginner level) and it Is just me and him in that level. school opens 3 days a week, I can only go 2 days, same days this guy comes. so we train together at the school and this student is my problem. every time we have a lesson, I come prepared, practiced all my moves and he comes not knowing a thing so the instructor spends more time repeating the moves to him while am just waiting to learn the next thing. and I do not think the instructor is focusing on me, mostly focusing on that guy. and he always asks useless questions and lots of them wasting the training time. and every time we train together he takes most of the time training on me about 30 mint while I train on him for 5 mints.
    so how can I solve this issue? and if u want me to explain more just ask, I will do anything to try and solve this issue except for leaving the school.
    PLZ HELPPPP PLZZZZZ

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Some wisdom that will see you through your MA career as long as it may be: "You're not as good as you think you are"

Instead of being annoyed that the other guy is slowing your progress, keep working the techniques because you haven't perfected them. Pay attention to what your instructor is telling the other guy.

And stop being jealous of the time your instructor spends with other students. If you need to be given feedback, you will be given feedback. Some students need more 1-1 help than others.

As for equal training time, just agree to perform 10 repetitions of the technique, then swap, rinse and repeat.

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Don't be in a rush to move on to the "next thing"

Try to think of this as an opportunity to get extra-solid grounding in the basics.

You'll be glad of it when you move to that "next thing".

And smile.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Challenge him to a death match!

......or just listen to these guys :)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Celebrate the fact that you will have your basics absolutley down pat! This will do you more good in the long term - it is good to do things over and over

6. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Thanks guys, i really love ur advice, all awesome and What about him taking most of the time using me as his wooden dummy, and keeps telling me how to do my techniques.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Think of it as working on your ukemi.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With a bit of luck you'll move up the ranks a little bit quicker than him and leave him behind.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There may be times when other students 'slow you down', and there may be times when you will slow other students down. We all have bits that we pick up quicker than others. But it's not a race, and learning patience is in itself a valuable lesson.

Is it possible that you can do something to help your fellow student to make progress with this particular bit of the syllabus that they are struggling with? That way you can both benefit.

10. Hannibal

Also make sure you get your reps in - after every 5-10 simply state, "my turn after this next one" and take your moves.

11. the artist

the artist Valued Member

He thinks he knows everything that is another issue about him

12. ned

ned Valued Member

you've only been there a week or so,give your buddy a break!the dropout rate in MA's
    can be high-you can't be sure who's the hare and who's the tortoise yet! :)

13. Dean Winchester

And?

If he doesn't he will find out and if he does then well done to him for working at it.

You should be measuring you against yourself and your teachers not him.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What martial art is it you are practising? If it's a striking martial art then all you'll be doing is kicking and punching and/or kneeing for the rest of your duration there so what does it matter if you practise the basics? :p

If it's grappling, then trust me, you should still be doing the basics.

15. Hannibal

+1 for Dean!

OP it sounds like you want to "stand out" or be considered "ahead of the game" at least on a subconcious level - I have been in the arts for over 25 years now....(wow...old git alert)....and cringe when I look back at my attitudes and concepts when I started many moons ago

Relax, enjoy it and remember it is a marathon not a sprint

16. the artist

the artist Valued Member

I'm doing wingtsun but you too sometimes u feel something annoyed or uncomfortable or happy feeling in ur guts when u meet someone and u alawys trust ur guts and it tells me I won't achieve great results I'm stuck with this guy.

17. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Not cause I have something against him, it is just a feeling u get

18. Hannibal

"you" and "your" - text speaking is not only irritating it is against ToS....probably because it is irritating

You don't know what you will and won't acheive because you are too inexperienced. Relax and let the experience take you where it will - you cannot control who you get to train with and the next partner you have may be a prodigy who views YOU as an annoyance and a block to his training

There is always a bigger dog around the corner

19. Dean Winchester

Sounds like you are setting yourself up an excuse for if you fail or want to quit.

20. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Ok guys I will take ur advice, really thanks a lot, I appreciate every single response. Thanks guys. And if u can give me more advice I won't say no :) so if u have more advice plz write it. Thanks Everyone :)