Ankle weights to improve kicking speed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WushuTiger, Apr 9, 2014.

1. WushuTiger

WushuTiger Valued Member

I am aware of the risks of using ankle weights but if I use lightweight ankle weights around 1kg for kicking, will it damage my joint permanently?

This guy on YouTube uses ankle weights, and he has insane kicking speed so I thought it'd work.

http://youtu.be/wZtmNcJd9J0

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the issue with joint damage is if you lock out your knee. using ankle weights should be fine as long as you don't do that. on the other hand, while getting stronger legs does help, kicking speed and power are not only a function of that, and the obvious stuff like technique and timing, but also in great part of the strength of your abdomen (in particular the obliques). now obviously applying resistance to the kicking motion is the obvious solution, but it's not the only one, nor necessarily the most effective for that particular point (although it IS specific for the kicking motion and will help train other muscles that directly lift the leg), so extra exercises for that would probably help even more.

also, practice more kicking, as kicking better will usually mean your kick takes less time to complete, ergo is faster.

3. WushuTiger

WushuTiger Valued Member

4. WushuTiger

WushuTiger Valued Member

5. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

The problem with this approach is that you can't train it in the same way something like a barbell lift. The ankle weight is acting against gravity, not the line of force of a kick.

You won't find anyone who kicks hard because of this approach, even if they do use it.

Train the barbell lifts to get strong, and practice your kicking technique with thousands and thousands of reps against bags, pads, and people.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Never combine weights and skill work because you develop the wrong motor patterns.

7. Fish Of Doom

stuart, barbell lifts are very hard to use to develop hip flexion and abduction, which are necessary for "easy" kicking (one-leg stuff is the only thing that comes close). leg raises on the other hand, which can be easily done with ankle weights, will address that directly, and kicking with weights in a controlled manner is a form of leg raise. that said, that would be a strength exercise, not a skill exercise, and i agree that the two must be kept searate, with skill being of a higher priority.

8. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Simply wearing the weights should be enough to strengthen your legs for faster kicks. No need to practice kicking while the weights are on - it can do more harm, than good.

Sometimes I personally use weights for say, a short run, before doing kicks. But never 'while' doing them. (I do this for TKD training)

9. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I would just keep kicking... proper technique and repetitiveness will = more speed over time.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

1kg weights will make a pretty minor difference.

11. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

Can you tell me the risks of ankle weight, and are the risks the same for wrist weights?

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Pain, and messed up joints. Yes.

13. Saved_in_Blood

If you are kicking and extending your leg all the way out to lock, you are going to hyperextend the knee and cause injury... with your foot in motion and a weight attached to it, it will cause even more damage due to the added velocity of the kick. Now if you are doing a thai style kick (roundhouse), and the knee is still bent and you are kicking a bag then it might not cause that same damage, but do NOT snap your leg out with a weight on or off of it IMO anyway.

Using weights for punching is different, as most trainers will say that it's ok, but just doing fully extend the punch that might cause the above damage, but to the elbow and possibly shoulder too.

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Only if you're dumb enough to use them badly. You can do that by using crap kicking technique without weights.

Nowt wrong with light weights with punching or kicking within reason IMO.

But from experience I am in the same camp as VZ, over reliance on the weights for training causes development of the wrong movement patterns, leading you to weird, "clunky" technique and odd movement.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

In my opinion, teaching the use of ankle/wrist weights for training is nearly on par with doing olympic lifting. Don't do it without formal instruction, and people asking questions about it on the internet probably aren't seeking formal training.

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm with the "no" crowd on this issue. It's a better use of your time to kick a bag or target-or just the air...or maybe a friend who doesn't mind being kicked. :D

To generally strengthen your legs specifically for kicking, just do leg and hip exercises. I have access to one of those cable machines with foot attachments, so I can practice kicks with resistance without injury. Even at that, the motion should be rather slow and controlled to get the most out of it and avoid injury. Also, leg press and curl, hip induction/adduction, squats, etc. are "winnars", as the kids say nowadays.

Hope this helps. :)

17. Saved_in_Blood

No, one of the big boxing trainers (forgot his name now) said to do no more than 2 lbs, but not to fully extend. I've used weights for shadow boxing a lot, but with punching you have to be fully aware that your arm comes straight out, and then is pulled straight back with no dipping or you are opening yourself up for a counter over that punch... so learning bad habits as Ero said is likely the main reason why this isn't a good idea without formal instruction.

18. Saved_in_Blood

doing squats sucks lol

19. Fish Of Doom

[​IMG]

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

"i train my legs enough, i play soccer twice a week"