Ankle problem

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Yatezy, May 20, 2008.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Hey guys/gals,

I have a re-occuring ankle problem on the right, which for someone who does MT and boxing aint good. When i go slightly over on my ankle it completely collapses on me due to the weight, sometimes i'll 'catch' it and hop out of it with mild pain but in other cases, mainly when moving (bouncing) to the right, my ankle goes a little bit and my whole body weight will come down on it which in turn leaves me in a heap on the floor and cuts me off from training for the night and sometimes the next day.

I think its down to when i was hit by a car during my teens, as the car broke it caught my foot between the tyre and the road and dragged me along. From the damage to my foot its clear the top of my foot was being taken apart by the road while my body was falling the opposite way, so the ankle was at a 90 degree angle. Not broken, somehow, but a lot of skin taken away from the area!

For boxing i have an ankle support which has been great but its a plastic skeleton type, does anyone know of decent elastic cloth ones for MT?

Also, any ideas of exercises i could do to help strenghten the area? For boxing its not as bad with the boots and ankle support but its gonna be a problem in MT, in the one MT fight ive had it happened too me. I 'caught' it but had to stay flat footed (which sucks) as too not flare it up so i could continue.

Thanx in advice :)

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If your just using it for an hour or two I'd try any ankle support maybe a size smaller than usual. God knows what it'll do in the long term but from a layman's point of view it's worth a try. Maybe even a couple of Nationman's on?
    I know a guy in Manchester that might be able to help. If you want his number PM me.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A big bucket filled with rice... immerse the ankle in the rice and do plenty of rotations... then switch feet and do the other side... don't forget to do planar motions as well... when many reps of the rice become easy... ditch the rice and fill with dry sand and repeat. It's great for strengthening ankles.

My missus flipped first time I did it... Asians having great respect for rice and all and here I am using it with my feet. LOL! But seriously... great way to build up strength in the ankles.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

brace

There is a good support that you could probably get away with for MT at a company called 'technology in motion'. The brace is called a bio-skin and is made of lycra. It comes with a one way stretch badage that can be used to further re-enforce the lycra 'boot' portion. Take a look and see what you think. I find it works well for both my rugby and football patients.

There are a few possibilities re what is bothering your ankle.... if you don't get anywhere you canalways show up at MAP meet and I can take a look :').

Cheers

powchoy (Chartered Physiotherapist)

5. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Cheers guys, really appreciate the replies.

I'll look up the braces powchoy and im hoping to get to the MAP meet so that would be great if you get chance to look at my ankle.

Slip i might give that a shot mate, even just for the look on my parents faces!

Cheers MD if it gets worse bud i'll give you a shout if thats cool.

Again cheers fellas :)

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Get it sorted w/ a Sports Orthopedist. Could be you have damaged/stretched ligaments. My wife tore her ankle up so badly as a kid she had to have major reconstructive surgery and, many years later, extreme physical therapy because her foot would just "forget" where it was in relation to the ground. Fell down the steps a few times before she was sorted. Therabands and a wobble board worked wonders. My left ankle has been turned so many times when I played basketball that I have to tape it up to play now. Ligaments are stretched way too much.

Good luck mate!

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Seconded! I severely mangled my ankle in Bujinkan training about 2 years ago and now wear a bio-skin for my Judo and BJJ training. I find that if I don't wear it and I catch my foot awkwardly on the mat the pain is incredible and I risk re-injuring it. The bio-skin is fantastic, comfortable and takes the worry of re-injury away.

I would also get the ankle checked out by a physio though - just to be on the safe side and they can recommend some strengthening exercises for you to do

8. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...