animal styles

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by FightingMonk2k3, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

other than mantis, mongoose, bear, crane, snake, dragon, tiger, leopard (maybe?) and monkey, what other kung fu schools offer other animals?

i've heard that there about 18 different animals to learn all together?

i know of those 8 or 9. i'm not too familiar with what the other animals are offered.

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

leopard is definitely a style. Saying its not will earn you a pantherfist to the throat from out resident CLF nuts. Let us not forget eclectic styles such as Bat, scorpion, mandarin duck and other oddities :)

3. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Gotta catch'em all!

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The traditional 5 animals are snake, dragon, crane, tiger, leopard. Mantis is a style unto itself. Monkey has it's own style, as well, or at least it's own philosophy. Eagle is another common animal (Eagle Claw Kung Fu, anyone?) Depending on your style, some of the animals may be interchangable but still called "5 Animals".

Other more obscure animal styles are horse, bear, lion, elephant, and a very obscure style called "dog boxing" which is a groundfighting style only taught in China. The only mongoose I've ever heard of is Shou Shu (I reserve comment on that one).

Some claim other animals like duck or turtle, but I've never seen any legitimate confirmation that such styles are really kung fu.

5. TheDarkJester

Mandarin Duck is one of the 18 sub branches of Seven Star Mantis. Its a major core part of our kicking system. Every right movement has a left movement to keep balance in the strikers favor. :) It is a legit style of kung fu.. Odd, but legit.

6. Gert-Jan

Gert-Jan Valued Member

Mandarin Duck? Please tell me you are joking! :eek:

GJ

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I seem to recal that Xing Yi also has Cockerel and Capercaillie (sp?) amongst its twelve animal forms.

Or are you just talking about stand-alone styles?

8. TheDarkJester

Nature provides much inspiration sir. It'll even provide insight on how to waddle over to a man to keep the pimp hand strong.

*waddle waddle pimp hand.. waddle waddle*

9. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

animal styles in general.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Rent "This is Kung Fu" with Jet Li. They show an older gentleman walking around like a duck claiming to do "Duck style" and a guy rilling around on the floor completely taking dog boxing out of context. It's a very patronizing DVD, and based on what I saw there of certain animals, I found it difficult to believe they are for real.

Got any vids of the mighty ducks? :D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

11. TheDarkJester

Is it that one from the late 70's early 80's where it shows a bunch of modern wushu and forms? I think I have that one where it shows some rediculous modern wushu style sparring, like drunken VS monkey, and snake VS eagle with all sorts of uber craptastic sound FX?

12. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

is there such thing as a pig or boar style ?

13. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Here's your video of your duck (kicks, mandarian ducks mate for life so they are always together [and the male duck is always getting yelled at]), sir.

The kicks on the second road of the form are often refered to as "mandarian duck kicks" as they are linked, stop kick linked with a piercing kick in this example.

http://www.kung-fu.addr.com/video-1.html

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yes, it is :)

15. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I don't know what a capercaillie is, but the animals ins xingyi are

Chicken
    Horse
    Eagle
    Bear
    Sparrowhawk
    Swallow
    Aligator (though this gets translated to all sorts of things, like water skippers.)
    Monkey
    Tiger
    Dragon
    Snake
    Tai (a mythical bird, I've seen it as "fighting turkey" :) and camel, amongst other things.

Twelve in all, though none of them are "styles" per se.