Animal protein-rich diets COULD be as harmful to health as smoking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HarryF, Mar 5, 2014.

1. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Once you get rid of all the "bad" things we'll only be left with Soylent Green.

Seriously though I would be more interested in the correlation between processed meats/foods and cancers. I'm willing to bet the true causation is there rather than this.

After all I can come up with an observational data set that breathing oxygen has a 100% outcome of Cancer. What % of people eat meat vs vegetarian and was the sample representative of the population?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

breathing oxygen does actually cause cancer cos of free radicals but we need free radicals and reactive oxygen species for basic chemical processes.

everything causes cancer

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

if that's all you eat, then enjoy your heart attack? lol

i don't think anyone is saying to not eat all the things you've mentioned. i think it's about having a modicum of restraint.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

According to statistics I died 27 years ago :(

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You are great fun at parties!

6. Mangosteen

I'm the creepy guy smelling people's heads

7. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

lol of course I eat other stuff, healthy stuff, veggies and fruit, honest.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I thought I didn't eat that much protein but most days I have 400g of poultry or fish split between lunch and dinner. That's about 100g of protein.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

You're a physician or scientist, right? You can always tell the people who are educated in science by the way they write about this stuff.

Yeah, it's common knowledge in science that vegetarian diets are the disease prevention and longevity diets. You can get all your protein needs met in plants (people should only consume 20-40% of what American doctors and dieticians recommend for protein intake). Eating animal products lowers your body's pH and we know that increases most major diseases. Red meat particularly causes the effect.

But people will justify what they want to eat regardless of what the science says. After all, it's apparently like Global Warming.

Some famous scientists believe that the free radical model for disease causation is bogus. They think us rusting to death is rather silly. But just because cancer is a naturally occurring event that doesn't mean one should intentionally expose themselves to carcinogens. By that rationale everyone should smoke because we're all gonna get cancer anyway. Everything seems to cause cancer because our species is stupid and has polluted our environment with chemicals we don't understand quite liberally.

10. Mangosteen

Where are you getting all of this...

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

well, i'm a computer scientist. :) and highly educated with a keen interest in certain things: biology, evolution, my diet and my health. and typically when i do research, i look for published papers instead of internet articles. because the internet is just bull--let's face it.

yes, people will do whatever they want. that much is for sure.

i'll have to find the study i recently read, but the point was that if one does not smoke and is not obese, risk factors are severely decreased and life expectancy is increased. which i think keeps it simple, right? just don't smoke and some combination of watching what we eat and exercise pretty much covers it.

it's easy for me to have a mostly plant diet, because i love eating plants. but i can see how many people just don't want to go that route.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

DOH! Another "study" of something good being bad and using data to compare it to something far worse

I wonder if animal protein has the tar and nicotine :)

What if the animal was a chain smoker before being slaughtered?

Smoked animal protein is great

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hah! Yesterday/day before it was all about how heavy protein diets could cause cancer.

Today I saw a headline "how LSD could be good for you".

Bravo national media, bravo.

14. 47MartialMan

Yeah, years ago it was milk, chocolate, cheese, white bread, tuna, __________insert here

Its like; "Oh we received a government grant to study something, let's waste the tax payers funds"

or-

"Look at me/my university, we're smarter than everyone else because we did a study"

15. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I agree! Tomorrow I am having the apple wood smoked protein from a pigs butt slathered in honey bourbon BBQ!

16. 47MartialMan

These cancer studies are perhaps causing cancer to those that create higher anxiety into worrying about the studies

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think you'll find that news sources other than the Daily Mail reported it in slightly more sensible terms.

Anyway, now we know that adding acid to your BBQ sauce will counteract any harmful effects from the meat!

18. David Harrison

I wonder if cancer warnings on cigarette boxes increase the risk of cancer by placebo :confused:

19. 47MartialMan

Yeah...I realise I was going slightly off...but these studies seem to make people more stressed over crazy things.

In a nut shell, injecting lab animals (or over feeding) large doses of something, the animal is bound to get ill.

And, to make the study using these methods, the anatomy of a lab animal is far different than humans

I would almost think that a study about animal protein, i.e. meat, as a cancer risk could have ventured from a group supported by PETA or some org like it

20. David Harrison

Yes, unfortunately a lot of dietary studies are funded by food industry lobby groups.

Maybe this one was paid for by the Quorn owners?