Anderson Silva is an idiot

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Van Zandt, Apr 22, 2015.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sure, he is nowhere near elite TKD (and I'd argue that the ruleset of Olympic TKD mean that no 40 year old would be), but he's a lot better than that video suggests.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that's some pretty amazing stuff.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It would probably be in his best interest, then, to leak the videos where he looks great at taekwondo. That's not a commentary on his accomplishments in MMA (which are many). But in the absence of any evidence of his high prowess in taekwondo, I think we have to acknowledge that this was enough to make him respectable in a local dojang. But not on the world stage. Or any stage leading to the world stage, really.

4. holyheadjch

I think this was just a snippet of a session that they recorded and someone decided to put it online. I think if they were trying to make a case, they could have done a much better job.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

daniel inosanto though...

i want to see "Old Masters UFC" with weapons and all. I feel like Inosanto will come out on top of anyone alive today.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The bottom line is that if the Brazilian Olympic association actually has the audacity to put Silva into the Olympics, they're doing so only based on his status in a completely different sport.

A status which has been incredibly tainted following back to back losses to Weidman, and Silva getting caught out for being a drugs cheat.

It's like when Freddy Flintoff took up boxing after he retired from cricket, but imagine if he was actually nuts enough to believe he could fight Mayweather for the title. That's how stupid this idea is.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Redcoat - they should let him, watch him get whipped at the olympics and drive up buzz for TKD and tell everyone that TKD is better than MMA. perfect marketing in every way for everyone

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Thought you of heard? WTF fighters are allowed to go to the ground for this Olympics only. In honour of the host nation

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Are they fighting in thongs only, too?

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Only the women but sexism is also not allowed?

The term not the behaviour

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Actually, from what I'd gathered from Brazilian stereotypes, wearing just a thong is overdressed for women!

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well sure. But if you were Anderson's camp, wouldn't you NOW release that "better job" if you had it?

13. holyheadjch

If this is something they are seriously going to pursue, yes, but I suspect this entire idea will die down. He's not Olympic standard and it does him no good to get whooped in Rio.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rio organising committee asked him to float this idea for publicity - because it has worked tremendously.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The only thing it achieved is more people seeing an MMA star claim they can be top dog in other combat sports (example: Ronda Rousey saying she could beat any BJJ black belt or box Mayweather) and think, "You idiot."

15. holyheadjch

Anderson Silva is popular (even with current drama), Olympic TKD is not. The coverage of this is literally the most positive coverage I've ever seen of Olympic TKD in the media. It's actually got people talking about the sport without using words like 'bouncing morons', 'embarrassment' and 'how is TKD still in the Olympics?'

If wiser heads don't prevail and he does make it to Rio, it will be the biggest thing to ever happen to the sport.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If the only media outlets you visit for coverage about Olympic TKD are Bullshido and Sherdog, sure.

I'm sure in mainstream media there are far more positive stories about Olympic TKD (like Rohullah Nikpai winning Afghanistan's first ever Olympic medal in any sport) than there are about "barbaric cage fighting thugs."

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yup.

From my memories of the olympics, TKD was mentioned in the national press.

Can't remember reading any stories about the UFC in the paper...

I've got a feeling more people watched some TKD at the olympics than any UFC event. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I have no dog in this race, I don't find either of them entertaining :p

Still though, that was shockingly poor kicking by anyone's standards. You could find better in a boxing club!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Precisely. That's as much as I was saying.

19. holyheadjch

My only argument is that I don't think that video is a fair reflection of Anderson Silva's striking ability. This is the spider we're talking about? We've seen him perform faster kicks than that (since his leg break).

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

His striking ability was perfect for MMA, hence why he was so good.

But even his best kicks in his highlight reels aren't up to scratch for TKD.

For Olympic TKD you have to be a damn fine kicker. There's barely anyone in MMA who fits the bill.