And Mrs Xue can't understand why I have no faith in humanity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, May 6, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Oh, it is far from the first in that lineup.

pgsmith and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's a sad fact that a crisis like this brings out the best and worst in humanity. You see wonderful cases of neighbours helping neighbours and people significantly donating to charity, then you see idiots refusing to follow basic safety laws or hoarding essential supplies and selling them at disgusting markups.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

^ stories like this.

You have to remember half the population have an IQ under 100, were only as advanced as we are, because clever people write books to other clever people.

Grond likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Well, I guess since the guy is in Government, Plato applies here

“Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.” - Plato

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That is a great timeless quote but it was technically Socrates' observation, as recorded by Plato in The Apology of Socrates. I took a few minutes to read this GOP representative's Facebook page and I guess I never realized how many stupid people there are on Facebook. I guess I give people too much benefit of the doubt with regards to common sense, but in fact a vast majority of commenters on his page support his anti-mask stance, are calling state government leaders Nazis now, are perpetuating misinforming the public on the virus and risks, and of course spreading oddball conspiracy theories, unironically.

My favorite one was a serious back and forth between two of his supporters that basically came down to "Where is the Surgeon General lately? Clinton got him!". Yes folks, the Clintons are still taking people out with assassins, because don't you know they're working with Soros to complete the Jewish New World Order takeover of the planet..... Dumb and dumber every day, even as technology improves, minds seem to just shut down or worse, just become so contrarian to social responsibility that you have to wonder just how badly things would go if societal structures really did break down. I can see all those armed idiots at the Michigan state capital last week forming marauder squads, Negan style. Thugs, all of them, whether it's the wannabe "militiamen" or the crazy baby boomers calling their state governors tyrants, advocating open rebellion against health care workers, and acting like spoiled rotten children because they're being asked to wear a mask because they might be carrying a killer virus.

I was waiting for a "V for Vendetta" type moment when someone lights the powderkeg, and didn't have to wait long before I read some poor store guard was just blown away. And the people feeding this GOP representative are the same ones carrying guns and threatening people's lives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ause-he-wouldnt-let-woman-store-without-mask/

7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I have to stop reading and watching the news this week because of the insanity occurring all over.

Here's another Family Dollar assault and robbery of a person for wearing a mask...simply walks into a dollar store, gets mugged by teenagers for wearing a mask.
    New York woman robbed for wearing respirator mask, officials said

This particular idiotic woman takes the cake though, with respect to how sure of herself she is, all fired up on whatever, harassing a poor NBC reporter on the steps on the Ohio state house. I'm a relatively peaceful guy in most respects, I'm not even an angry drunk, but if this woman did this to me I'd have to fight the urge to punch her in the face and claim self defense, because she's not wearing a mask and could be spitting virus all over me during her stupid, obnoxious, and clearly politically biased psychotic rant. What a jackass.

8. Xue Sheng

wrote the quote, made a guess, knew it was Socrates or Plato.....50% chance and I blew it :D

Grond likes this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Technically it's both. Plato used Socrates to narrate the Apology (after his death), so it's Plato using (or paraphrasing) Socrates actual words at his trial. A Great, and thankfully when it comes to philosophical works, short read as relative today as it was 2,400 years ago.

The Internet Classics Archive | Apology by Plato

Xue Sheng likes this.
  10. Flying Crane

Well. So in the news today it seems that a personal valet in the White House (position is traditionally filled by navy staff) who has close contact with Trump and serves him meals and such, has just tested positive for Covid-19.

According to the reporting, very few people in the White House staff wear masks, per Trump’s protocol. We will see in the next couple weeks if Trump or other White House staff or others close to Trump test positive.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Yup, we'll know in 3 to 14 days

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Coincidentally, that's the same timeframe I expect to receive my N99 bike masks from Hong Kong. My "disposable" N95 from the hardware store is a little beat up, but reinforcements are on the way. From free China, no less. The universe is not without a sense of irony.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  13. Flying Crane

A staffer in Mike Pence’s crew tested positive today. Her husband is a senior level aid to Trump, often in close contact with him.

We shall see...

14. Dead_pool

I believe that's Steven millers wife, (I know I thought the same too) Katie miller..... Which is bad news.... It means the virus has jumped the species barrier again .. and now it can affect ghouls and Litches!

Photo shows Katie Miller speaking to press day before testing positive - CNN Video

pgsmith and Flying Crane like this.
  15. Flying Crane

Yes it is Katie Miller.

Regarding the ghouls and pitches, I wasn’t going to go there. I’m glad you did! :)

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Dead_pool

17. Flying Crane

18. Dead_pool

Are they the one that plays interference between Don and Ivanka?

19. Dead_pool

I was hoping someone would ask what a litch is!
    FB_IMG_1589044694174.jpg

pgsmith likes this.
  20. Flying Crane

I’m an old D&D-er, I know what a litch is, most definitely. :)

Dead_pool likes this.