Ancient Sling (David vs Goliath)

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Camo-sling, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Hello,

I have been practicing the david vs goliath sling for about 5 years. It's essentially a weapon which consists of a pouch for holding ammunition, a retention loop attached to your finger and a release cord held between your thumb and index finger. The user simply swings the stone within the pouch to gain momentum and then releases the release cord to propel the projectile forwards.

Here is a video demonstrating the potential power and accuracy of the sling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKp0SmHu5G8"]ANCIENT WEAPON vs COCONUT (SLING/Ancient Slingshot/David Sling/Balearic Sling) - YouTube[/ame]

Does anyone else have any experience with this weapon?

Regards,

Nick.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I made a few in my early 20s. Never got good enough to hit a coconut at 10m, I could've hit the stump it was sitting on. That was in my "survivalist" phase, thought it would be a good way to take small game. Had a lot of fun with it.

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Those things are nifty, and nice shot! Takes a lot of practice to get that good I'd wager.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I just saw you on survivalistboards! I used to frequent that board, but they got to crazy right wing for me around election time. And I never went back.

5. komuso

komuso Valued Member

WHERE DO I GET ONE OF THOSE - THAT IS RAD!

paul

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I've made a couple out of shoe tongues and laces, never really got on with it though. Much prefer bolas.

You have inspired me to make another and have a crack at it again though. Nice vid & impressive shot, and I'm glad to see you didn't waste the coconut!

7. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a forum where someone hasn't left because of political threads or religious threads! haha It just doesn't work!

Best way is to make your own. Here's a link to a guide on how to make any kind of sling:
    http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260271797

What if I told you that you can sling bolas? :p We ate the whole coconut between two of us haha

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I would like to see how many other attempts were made to get that one though. :)

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sling a bolas huh? Interesting!