- An Update -

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Lol, they should make that their moto.

And congrats Rags, hope you do well.

(Another one bites the dust, another bites the dust....)

2. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Hm.. All that about TKD being an inferior MA is just plain crap. Very immature, but hey it's been discussed a LOT before so I won't get into it.

No offense but I don't really think you can get a "quite brilliant" technique in about 3 years, there's a lot of more practice needed for that and even then you shouldn't say that about yourself.

Enjoy your kickboxing and judo and good luck with your tournaments!

3. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i'm happy you're happy.

i've been training BJJ on and off since 99 (injuries and school). Love it like a brother.

But can you please do me one favor? Please be mature about your position on other martial arts.

In your attempt to be honest you focus (too much) on the brutality....

"The problem with people who are brutally honest is that they focus more on the brutality than the honesty."

4. Heyyy,

Two pages of replies. Awesome.

Okayrightgo...

Nah I know that man. Not... ALL.

It has been cut actually. Jaw length anyway. I look like a cocker spaniel.

Does he compete?

And Wolverhampton? ...Lotsa vampire girls :D

Ah whats going so bad man? Lets talk.

I guess the transfer thing depends on schools ya know? Our kickboxing has clinching, sweeps, heavy contact and we're encouraged to fight against the walls and stuff. Basically, everything we kept getting yelled at for in Taekwon-Do.

Im doing real well now I'm used to hitting hard and I'm a lot fitter for this kind of sparring. I'm doing much much better.

Ragnarok[something]

Cheers for that man. A police guy I know said I was pretty good material for it. But hey. It will or it wont happen!

Yeah yeah totally. I was heavily asthmatic as a teenager. Not good at sports in school atall because of it. Changed my life totally. Truthfully if I'd started my training in heavy contact kickboxing I probably wouldnt have lasted.

So hey you're right. Its served as a good foundation.

-

Another Post coming .....

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you forgot me rags :confused:

6. Well the guy who does Lau Gar that I train with is Gordon Mitchell.
    He was one of the Lau Gar A-Team along with Neville 'The Devil' Wray, Sean Viera and the other pioneers. So I'm in damn good company.

Lau Gar is in many respects far better than Taekwon-Do because of the emphasis on sparring. Especially point sparring. I watch Taekwon-Do point sparring now, even at blackbelt level and it looks appaling compared to the Kickboxing / Lau Gar guys.

The Blitz is a massive difference in both L-Con and Points. I fought an excellent blitzer at the WUMA English in Con.
    If anyones interested I'll put the video up. Guy danced around me, shot straight in, broke back off and kept me chasing him.

I have!

Yeah my kicks and flexibility are good. I do way more than point sparring man. Point sparring is just what Im well suited for. I love it.

I'll try.

Hahaha. I have way more humility than most people would guess.

Interesting stuff! Good reading. What you described though is just basically kickboxing with more emphasis on kicking.

Quite a lot.....

Yeah I've read some awesome stuff on there. Some great posts and Its opened my eyes to a lot.

I dont think my opinion is immature atall. I've met a lot of TKD guys, trained in a lot of schools and am making my decision based on experience that many arts are superior to Taekwon-Do for many different reasons.

And truthfully. I dont think theres much to learn in Taekwon-Do after a few years. Especially not in WTF style. Most people cross-train and start looking at throwing, grappling and boxing seperately from Taekwon-Do.

I like that expression. Hahaha.

I think I am being mature. I've been there for years. And after 6 weeks without TKD I can honestly say the only thing I miss are some of the people.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Are you in WUMA for Lau Gar Rags ?

8. I dont know what you mean.

I go to WUMA comps because Worcester isnt that far from where I live.

Sick of being there at 2 PM ready to go and having to wait until 8 though.

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Was just wondering as my club is affiliated to WUMA. We have been to a couple of Worcester comps and yep, the waiting is a nightmare! Although we went to a WAKO one in Sheffield in May and that was even worse!
    Not sure if we are planning any more comps with WUMA this year,we are pretty much all fed up with points comps so want to try some continuous. Sounds like you have a good teacher though :)

10. I havent been to a WAKO one. There always so far North!

But hey yeah. WUMA and CIMAC both do con. Lemme know which ones you're going to and I'll see ya there.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I met Neville at the WAKO comp,he was reffing my fight (which I lost to a big Italian girl!) ,he invited the club down to his tournament but we couldn't make it. Once I get my continuous up to scratch I'll let you know :)

12. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Interesting stuff Rags. Reminded me of my own story, in fact i made a thread just like this one.

If you're ever around Hertfordshire i would love to have a friendly Kickboxing or MMA match with you. We are similar size and I also like to kick a lot (coming from a KMA background) In fact i now believe you are my evil (non-identical, though i have longish hair) twin

13. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Okay well that's just your opinion, I think it's not really possible to claim one MA is superior over another, how do you define superiority between sports?
    There's not much to learn in TKD after a few years, especially not in WTF style? May I ask you how many years of WTF experience you have? What you say there is totally NOT true, there's so much more to MA's than just the basics you see on the surface. Try doing a MA for more than 3/4 years and you'll know!

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

OP - nice initial post. Without trying to sound condescending, your initial post really should how much you've matured in the martial arts. A lot of people wouldn't bother exploring, reflecting, and thinking about where they come from and where they are. Many people would either quit and move on to other things or they'd stay, stuck in a rut. I think that to look critically at what you do, at your goals, and how you can attain them, even if it means adjusting how you train is a big step as a martial artist.

One thing my instructor (R. Gray) always says though is to "never forget where you come from - no matter how good or how bad it was, it brought you to where you are now."

I look forward to seeing how things go! All the best!

15. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Good for you Rags, it's nice to see you've taken the time to step back and think about wher eyou want to go. And make sure you post some videos, I'd love to see how you're combining your kicking/stand-up with grappling.

Mine too, I haven't stepped in a proper dojang for a long time now. You fancy organising a Hertfordshire TD? :D

16. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Sounds good. There is one in Oxford being planned on Bullshido for early next year if you can make it.

But perhaps we could rally up some people for a meet in Herts. I think ForeverYoung and some Tai Chi guys met up last year for a spar round these parts.

17. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Sounds good, work shouldn't be an issue then. It would be interesting to see what the people from Herts can produce though, despite growing up there I don't really know what the MA scene is like.

18. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

It's pretty baron. I drive to Bedfordshire to train.

19. Oxford? Awesome. Thats only about half an hour by train.

20. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

*sigh* You guys are making me wish I lived in the UK.

Congrats on your growth Rags :) I'll keep an eye open for you over on Bullshido as well.