An odd thing at my WTF TKD school. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by CriticalDog, Apr 28, 2014.

1. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

I am training at a WTF TKD school. However, there seems to be some irregularities in what we are taught, and I am hoping I can dig up some info to make sure that everything is kosher. :)

I am aware that WTF requires use of the Tae Guk forms. However, is there a minimum number of forms that are required? We learn 4 forms before learning Koryo. That is all that appears to be required for the black belt testing (in regards to Poomse, at least).

Kicking appears to be adequate, based on what I have seen online, but the primary focus in class seems to be sparring. Just about every class session ends with 15-20 minutes of sparring, every class session.

There is also no weapons training. Not sure if that is standard or not, and honestly I'm not that concerned about it, but in general it just seems a bit odd.

Any thoughts?

Note: I have seen his certs from the Kukkiwon, they are on the wall, and current.

2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

There are 8 taeguks. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding. If your sabanim said only 4 till you do the black belt stuff then it is not true WTF. I left tkd becuse i had to learn 8 taeguks plus 8 pawlges and 3 basic forms. TOO MANY forms for me.

As far as sparring goes TKD is an olympic sparring sport so you should get used to doing it more. 15 to 20 mins or more of it at the end of every class a normal thing.

I do not believe there is weapons traning at all associated with most styles of TKD

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I remember a few schools around that only did the even numbered Taegeuk patterns (2,4,6,8) for the 1st dan test. As long as the instructor signs off on the recommended promotion sheet that is sent to the Kukkiwon for the certificate, it could be OK.

According to the Kukkiwon, for the first dan test, only Taegeuk 8 is compulsory - Taegeuk 1-7 are called "appointed". http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/eng...=View&seq=37&pageNum=1&searchKey=1&searchVal=

I am not saying it is good or bad - our school used the Chang Hon Forms plus the Taegeuks and had the Pal Gye forms for a while... a bit "too many" for me. The schools I trained at in Korea did the 8 Taegeuks for 1st dan (although we only 4 for the actual test) and Koryo for 2nd dan.

Sparring is good

Many TKD schools do not do weapons - it is an unarmed martial art. Learning weapons is fun, but not a mandatory part of TKD.

Does the instruction fit what you are looking for? Are you satisfied with the instruction and class? What options are available aside from TKD?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. CriticalDog

What I am after is essentially exercise, and a bonding experience with both my boys as I have previous experience.

I have no real issues with the school, as I am certainly getting plenty of exercise! :) Coated with sweat at the end of each hour long class I can get to.

And yes, I guess my previous experience with a different art that only did sparring once a month or so colored my expectations. I do enjoy the sparring, even if I feel like quite the fatty doing it. lol

Thank you all for putting my mind at ease. I was primarily concerned that we were paying for a Kukkiwon cert that was not going to be legit. I do hope to teach at my local Y once I have gained my own Black Belt, but that's not for at least another year, if not more.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

You can also check to see if dan certificates are 'legit' through here:
    http://kms.kukkiwon.or.kr/usr/check.do

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I expect the Kukki guys will chime in on what the WTF requires vs what the Kukkiwon requires etc.

7. brookieeto

brookieeto New Member

In our dojang we would have to learn 8 forms for black belt test, but at the test you would only do four random ones that the instructor or examiner calls out.
    I only know the first two forms, but I know from watching other gradings.
    The sparring is normal in most dojangs so don't worry!
    And not every dojang uses weapon training, I think it's mainly for self defence purposes to use weapons, and it depends on your instructors way of teaching.

8. CriticalDog

Awesome, thank you guys. I'll get his particulars and check against the site linked above.

Please note: I wasn't complaining. I'm having a great time, and I've sparred more in the past year than I did in 5 years of training previously. It's a great time!

9. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

I trained in WTF TKD from 1999-2004. From 1999-2003 our teacher only taught us Palgwe forms, because apparently that's what the federation heads emphasized. In 2004, there was a leadership change, and all of a sudden I had to learn Palgwe AND Taeguk!! Never learned all the Taeguk forms, moved to a new city, and went into another school that didn't recognize my rank. I got my 1st Degree black belt in Moo Duk Kwan TKD instead.

So... I say just follow whatever forms your instructor is teaching you, and make sure you're not learning 10 different ways to do the form in your school. TKD forms are basic, and a formality. If you really want to learn all the forms and wow your instructor, http://www.natkd.com/tkd_info.htm has you covered with detailed videos of each form, from white belt to 9th Dan, from ITF to WTF. But yeah, you don't need to stress the forms.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Interesting. But if I were to do this, my previous instructor would not be "wowed", but concerned and perhaps find many flaws from me learning from videos

11. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

You know.... you're right. LOL I hate to admit it, but you're right.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

One may get the basics and simulate the moves, but the perfection comes from a qualified live instructor