An interesting situation to be starting a dojo from

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tdog, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Another approach that is valid is you could set up your own style aimed at fitness and sport fighting. If you have the knowledge it is easy to put together a syllabus of basic strikes, throws and locks, and a little ground work.

The commercial reality is that most people do not want a traditional art. Neither do they want a true combat / fighting art. What they want is to get fit while taking out the frustrations of life on the pads. People also like sashes and grades because it provides a feeling of progression and achievement.

Readers might think I am describing a Mc dojo here. But There is nothing wrong with supplying what people want so long as you teach good basics and if you are honest about what you are doing. The two things that make Mc dojo's evil are teaching poor technique and lying to people about what they are being taught.

There are plenty of umbrella organisations that will provide affiliation and insurance to do this.

NOTE: This is not the way I teach, nor is it the way that anyone in the organisation to which I belong teaches. We are traditional martial artists practicing a traditional martial art in a traditional way. I think each instructor trained for around a decade before they were allowed to open a school.

But not every one wants to do it the traditional way and there is nothing wrong with selling something simple and quick so long as you are honest about what it is that you are providing.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

And given that Hannibal and I are at the opposite ends of this great nation we could probably find you a good place to train at in pretty short order.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know of this great Wing Chun Sifu in Toronto.......

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Buddy, running your own martial arts school is a heavy burden even when you're middle aged with multiple black belts / world titles / world champion students to your name.

At nineteen?

Forget about it. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm pointing out that you're very young, very (relatively) inexperienced and you'd be best serving your time working in a gym as a trainer and training hard in your spare time.

Or hell, even go to school and get an education in sports science. Then you can do integrated sports-based employment and martial arts as a career. That's what I do and I love it.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

And I've heard of a legendary JKD coach in Calgary...... 7 feet tall with balls of fire and bolts of lightning and all that.... That did not come out sounding the way I intended :D

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tut tut. You should be recommending he move back to the Motherland. You fail at being an expat.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That is a backhanded compliment!

8. SWC Sifu Ben

That depends on whether your mind is in the gutter or the Loch :evil: