An analysis of Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

I think there's a little bit of a styles make fights thing going on there. And I picked Rousey to win as well, for a lot of the same reasons you did.

I kind of thought Holm would do well until Rousey inevitably got the clench then it would be takedown and arm bar. Even after she shook off the first take down I was expecting it would eventually land at some point during the round. And it did, but Holly's sub defense was spot on.

Anyway, I think Holly looked good against Rhonda for the same reason Rhonda has looked good against her opponents. In Holly's previous fights the girls were staying back, moving, kickboxing with her. She was outworking them but didn't look like a world beater doing it.

With Rhonda she was able to employ her footwork against a charging bull. She could stick and move, landing hard shots, and get out of the way of the rushes. Same way Rhonda was able to use other girls rushing in on her to turn into a throw and submission.

In the 2nd fight with Tate, when they were just exchanging on the feet, Tate was doing well. Then for whatever reason (moral victory maybe?) she kept charging in for her own take down playing right into Rhonda's strength. Don't charge a high level judo player... it's pretty much what they want.

I think Holly's style is tailor made to defeat Rhonda's. The question is, can the other women in her division pick up on that, and can Rhonda evolve?

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Holly had a severe neck injury that postponed her debut (which was the Rocky fight). She was extra cautious after that and in her second fight. I still wonder if the injury had something to do with it along with serious ring rust.

However, in addition to that it's important to note that it doesn't take much to be a better striker then Ronda Rousey. Pretty sure that is why Tate and McMann both started working on Boxing after their losses to Rousey. Basically Holm doesn't have to be the best striker in Women's MMA to be far better then Rousey. I still maintain though that I think that Rousey has the potential. She just needs a real coach. Her body type can generate enormous punching power. If Rousey gets herself a real boxing coach and really buckles down she could be formidable with her hands.

(NOTE: I also think Racquel Pennington is an under-rated fighter with a potential that is not being fully realized.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

[​IMG]

:D

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That is hysterical.

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

6. Combat Sports

It's the same moron who said Rousey could win an Olympic Gold medal in Boxing and could beat Holly Holm in a boxing match.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don't forget belltoller's

that he posted while chugging on a 5th of Kool-Aide. :D

No hate here, brother. The 'psychoanalysis' is somewhat tongue-in-cheek and some of the memes the sloth posted are just too funny - as was

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] that came out after Pac was KO'd -

I thought them hysterical despite Pacquiao being one of my all time favourites - and a nice fellow, to boot.

"school-yard bully" ? Absolutely. No question. Its often a necessary trait of a lot of fighter's and its also going to get thrown in their face when its their turn. It goes with the territory of being a dominating/intimidating style of fighter. Now if it were someone like ...uhh...uhh - Roxanne Modafferi - for example, it would be different story but Ronda's a tough woman and she's given plenty herself.

"Cult of Ronda"? Yes. I did point out that I didnt think it were Ronda serving up the kool-aide - rather her "striking" coach was manipulating that and I think Rousey's own mum has suggested that be the case.

But I don't know, of course - just speculating for self-entertainment purposes - like most everyone else.

Ive not seen any posts here from anyone that questions the legacy that RR has left and may still leave, even amongst those who aren't particularly keen for her display or her playing the clannish hillbilly whose half-mother's-brother's-niece's-half sister has been somehow offended and woe-be-unto-them shtick.

Everyone here knows that WMMA would be little more than a circus freak-show if it warnt for her and Rousey still holds the title of most dominant female fighter in history - although I have seen just absolutely atrocious statements made by many, many obviously not-too-clever posters on other sites - things like "dumb broad been fighting cans, time to hang up the gloves" and just asinine, hate-spewing nonsense - now that qualies as mindless hate. You know, monkey hears words, monkey repeats words sort of pap.

Maybe that's what you're referring to, then?

Honestly, I don't have, nor do I really pick up on that kind of hate here on MAP - its mostly a vehicle for giving each other gyp, anyroad.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

RR's coach sucks. When it cut to her corner after the first round, she was getting no help at all.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Time to move to AKA or somewhere similar. (in my humble, sofa surfing opinion)

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I agree she needs a change of camps. The difficulty for me is finding somewhere that can develop her existing skillset while integrating new dimensions to her game. She risks either becoming cookie cutter and losing the things that make her great or developing a collection of bolt on skills that don't mesh.
    What do I know though :D She lives in LA, Kings are doing magical things for people's striking, could be the obvious choice.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Someone mentioned on a podcast that Cyborg occasionally trains at Kings so that might be a wrinkle in that plan.
    Although I'm sure the people at Kings would probably get a case of "Cyborg who?" when they get a cut of that Rousey money. :)

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Now she's not undefeated champion I think all desire for a matchup will go out the window anyway.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Absolutely. Although I don't think Cyborg has the footwork of Holm it looks like Rousey beating her is increasingly unlikely too.
    Which is what everyone wanted really.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i am filled with mirth at the thought of a judo champion being KOd by a boxing champion... via a high kick :p

15. Combat Sports

Pretty confident Gina Carano with the right camp would of beaten her too. Gina's striking is even more aggressive and powerful then Holly's. She would have to have similar take down defense training.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ol6e7

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The moment where RR's punch missed and one of her knees went down reminded me of a scene in one of the Rocky movies. Can't remember which one though. The way I remember it was nearly identical.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Rafeal Cordiero would do wonders for her MT. You got Werdum and Dos Anjos for her Jits. Wonder how Wanderlei will take it though.:evil:

edit : re - Cyborg. Good, they can fight it out there too.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

These things happen in MMA. :)

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Why? She competed successfully in kickboxing too.

Yep, looked it up. Her amateur kickboxing record is 6-0-2.

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I am filled with mirth with Rousey getting a healthy dose of humility drilled into her face. People can say what they want about kicking her while she's down, but she set herself up for it with her totally uncalled for prefight antics and recent arrogant attitude. She let the hype get to her head big time.