An analysis of Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ahhh! So this striking that will beat Ronda (which is the claim.every victim has stated) can get defeated by slappy punches?

I know you hate Ronda but seriously get some perspective. She doesnt need to outbox a boxer...she need to stop them boxing her - and she does so easily

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Nope. You completely missed the point. You brought up that she knocked out Bethe. I pointed out that she did, with all the flair and technique of a ghetto girl in a world star hip hop video. Now, you are jumping into another conversation I am having wherein someone suggested that Ronda is going to out strike Holly Holm. Which is again, flat out ludicrous.

Meanwhile, you are saying exactly what I said to them. Which is that she should not box Holly Holm. And then somehow declaring victory over my point. When you are actually GIVING my point.

I know you love trolling anyone who ever dares to criticize Ronda, but get some perspective. I am arguing that suggesting that Ronda is going to outbox Holly Holm is ridiculous. Because it is. As I said earlier in the thread if I were Ronda I would go right back to vintage Strike Force Ronda, take Holly down and submit her as fast as she can.

3. Combat Sports

(Then Holm)

Some perspective for Hannibal. That's what I am replying to. So you suggesting that I suggested that she somehow has to outstrike Holly is silly. Because that's not what I suggested. Ever.

Not quite as silly as suggesting that Ronda Rousey is a better striker then Holly Holm. Or that she will outstrike her. But still, silly.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  4. Hannibal

In MMA terms or in boxing terms? Because although related they are NOT the same

5. Combat Sports

In any terms. If Ronda Rousey stands up and exchanges punches with Holly Holm for any length of time she will lose. Period. She has to take her down quickly. If she attempts to exchange with her she will come out on the bottom of every exchange.

6. Hannibal

Ronda beats Holly easily - end of story

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is an important point. Much like the amazing "Killing The King" article by Jack slack, he states TJs wrestling was still a major factor even though you never saw it. Exactly the same with Ronda. Holms boxing will be limited because she fears the takedown. Can't swing and maybe miss. Can't throw hooks. She's pretty much limited to jabbing and straights that can't miss because of RRS judo and threat of the TD. This gives Ronda a legitimate chance to actually box a boxer, because if she even gets hit she can clinch whenever she likes. Barring a one punch knockout, Rousey wins this striking or grappling.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its MMA not boxing, on paper Melvin Manhoef should destroy every MMA striker he comes across, he has several knockout losses on his card because he forgets its not K1 and those small gloves even things up allot

HH has it even worse because someone like Melvin has genuine one punch knockout power so people have to be wary of getting close, HH doesn’t have this, that’s the big advantage RR has over everyone in the division, no one has the kind of power to make her gun shy of closing the gap.

And to be honest I don’t even really like RR, or think her coaches are that good. But her striking is good enough and her clinch striking, especially her knees is as dangerous as anyone in her division

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is about as deep as the RR-v-HH debate needs to get.

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I know you love trolling anyone who ever dares to criticize Ronda, but get some perspective. I am arguing that suggesting that Ronda is going to outbox Holly Holm is ridiculous. Because it is. As I said earlier in the thread if I were Ronda I would go right back to vintage Strike Force Ronda, take Holly down and submit her as fast as she can.[/QUOTE]

Did someone dare refer to Hannibal as a TROLL :evil:

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm not arguing that Rousey is a world class striker - I'm arguing that Holly Holm isn't a world class striker either. Her boxing 'world championships' are pathetic, and her MMA record is paper thin. I don't know how anyone can watch the Renau or Pennington fights and think 'this is the chick that will knock out Rousey'.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

And if they did, they should probably remember that calling another poster a troll isn't tolerated on map. Report button yada yada yada. You'll know it by now.

13. Combat Sports

...and you are still ignoring the point. Ronda can certainly beat Holly Holm. But it isn't going to be because she "outstrikes" her. And that was what was asserted.

14. Hannibal

She sets up her takedowns with her strikes and makes people hesitate and stifle their own game out of fear of said takedowns - strategically that is part of her striking game the same way Tysons power was part of his

15. Combat Sports

...and again... my point is she will not and can not outstrike Holly Holm. Not that she can't beat Holly Holm in a MMA fight. This isn't just about Holly's credentials as a striker which you call pathetic but the fact is the state of women's boxing is overall not doing so well anyway. But because Rousey's striking defense (much like everyone else who has ever had the misfortune of being trained by Edmond in boxing) is terrible, and the form of her punches is terrible. She can beat her the same way she beat other strikers like Sarah Kaufman. But if she stood across from Sarah Kaufman and exchanged strikes it would of been a similar result. (Which is why she took her down and arm barred her as fast as she could.)

16. Combat Sports

Uhh...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PEQL-kHro"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1PEQL-kHro[/ame]

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Depends how fine a point you want to put on it. I think there is a chance Ronda will outstrike her based purely on the fear Holm has got to have of the grappling. People went into the Tate fight thinking Tate was a better striker and Rousey outstruck her badly if I remember rightly. Outstriking doesn't mean she has to outclass her in pure technical striking ability, it just means she has to beat her on the feet. I don't think that's a foregone conclusion but I don't think its impossible either.

18. Combat Sports

I think people are "Wowing" a bit too much over Ronda to think clearly about it.

(And for the record, I don't hate Ronda Rousey...)

Edmond has made ridiculous assertions that Ronda could win a Gold Medal in boxing, and she could beat Holly Holm in boxing. There are plenty of women in the world of boxing who in a straight up striking match would take her to school and give her detention afterward.

It is again, not Ronda's fault. Her body type would generate enormous power. She just needs a real striking coach. Edmond is not it.

In the meantime, Ronda cannot keep it standing with Holly Holm and hope to succeed. That's a suicidal and foolish strategy.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Please break down my previous post.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member