An analysis of Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Boomer I will have your £5 too !!!!

RR in round 1 ...

Smurf

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I like Holly but I do not believe she has truly trained for nor has an answer for

[​IMG]

Not the clip I was wanting - the real-time version of her Judo throw is even more visually devastating.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Fancy a thirty-day sig bet; since apparently you're going to be out of fivers? :p

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

It is completely feasible to learn to counter Judo and throws. Even youth wrestlers eventually become highly resistant to throws with just basic understanding of placement of weight and body mechanics. In Folkstyle throws become less and less prevelant the higher grade level you go up and they become almost unheard of in higher levels of high school and college level wrestling. Ronda tried to throw Sara McMann a few times and failed so she switched to striking.

Sprawl and brawl is a reference for "keep it standing and knock you out" it doesn't just refer to stopping double and single leg take downs. Jessica Penne was not gunshy. She did everything in her power to try and throw Joanna and it was not working. And if you do get them down, they just get back up. While I cannot say that Holly has those skills because most people don't get close enough to try and throw her considering what camp she fights out of and how high profile this fight will be I would really doubt that Jackson/Winklejohn is just going to let her go into this fight without the ability to deal with Judo.

Ronda also has a consistent habit of getting hit in the face by boxers who are far inferior to Holly Holm.

For the record however, I feel Holly is taking this fight too soon. I also feel Sara McMann was pressured to take her own title shot too soon. The Sara Mcmann that smashed Miesha Tate's orbital bone with a punch would of been far more successful.

My main issue here was not with Ronda vs. Holly insomuch as people suggesting that Sprawl and Brawl only works for Chuck Liddel and Jose Aldo. And that's simply not true.

6. Combat Sports

It's important to note, that Ronda got that throw after tagging Alexis in the face and stunning her. If she tries to go hands vs hands with Holly Holm the outcome is not going to be the same. As for what she trained for? I do not believe the Camp that trains the likes of Jon Jones, GSP, etc is not going to train her to deal with Judo. This fight is going to be big for that camp. (Again though, I still think Holly is taking the fight far too soon. She has not been quite the same since her neck injury.)

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

They can train her to deal with judo just like cains team taught him to deal with werdums ground game, its one thing knowing what's coming and the techniques to counter it, a Judo red belt knows how to counter the technique RR uses, to actually stop a world class practitioner used to pulling said throws off against world class opponent's is another thing all together

8. Combat Sports

Bringing up a Cain analogy without mentioning the altitude is not really a solid point to make. In Vegas when they finally rematch I bet my bottom dollar provided he doesn't get injured Cain will crush Werdum.

9. Hannibal

Cain preparing poorly is his teams fault entirely

10. Combat Sports

Not arguing that. But the question was about preparing him for technique. Werdum would of never been able to deal with Cain if he was prepared.

11. Hannibal

Because of the gulf in class right?

Multiply that by x20 for RR compared to HH

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Holly Holm is a massively MASSIVELY overrated striker. For all of her 'world championships' she only fought outside of New Mexico 3 times. Honestly, I think Rousey is a better striker at this point.

Everyone Ronda Rousey has fought and demolished spent their camp working out how to neutralise her Judo. Guess what? It isn't that easy.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Considering the odds are waaaaaay outta my favour, we'll have to even it up.

RR is pretty much a guaranteed win. And I'm the sucker for this.

Just to put things into perspective. £5 for RR win = 38p payout. And its £40 for HH win. (her odds increased, it was £70 earlier)

Note: just a bit of fun kids...remember. Gambling is bad, and Uncle Shroomy is not a nice guy.
    Be cool, stay in school.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  14. Combat Sports

You are going way overboard there at least so far as the last sentence. Rousey is still by far the worst boxer in the division. She gets hit in the face far too often, and a lot of her punches come out awkward. It's not even her fault. She clearly has power and her body type would generate tons of it. Edmond is a horrible boxing coach. If Ronda did what GSP did and had the good sense to get a good boxing coach like Freddie Roach I feel she could do quite well in striking but it's still terrible.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Actually it’s a valid point, I said ground game not overall stragegy, once it hit the floor Cain was always going to be in trouble, he was reyling on his conditioning and wrestling to keep it off the floor, but when he started to lose the striking he went for the takedown and from then on was always going to be in trouble, why because Cain prepared for werdums world class ground game by rolling with a brown belt, and world class wrestler, which doesn’t replicate the same skillset he was going to face

Much the same as when werdums triangle’d fedor to sleep, and fedor said he didn’t make a mistake by not bringing in a world class BJJ guy because everyone knows the triangle…
    As with werdum it is with Rhonda, everyone knows the moves they are going to use, that’s not the issue its dealing with the timing and the skill level they bring that’s the issue
    You can bring in good judo players, you can prepare all you want I mean everyone knows the few throws RR uses, and the arm bar for the finish, but unless you can bring in someone of the same level to train against (which is hard if not impossible to find) you are still going to be in the you know what when it hits the clinch and the ground

Its pretty easy to beat Rhonda afterall we all know what you need to do, you need to keep it out of the clinch and have enough power in your punches to make her not want to get close and knock her out standing,
    Problem is so far no one has been able to do this and does HH have the power to keep her at distance and put her down with power shots and kicks, I really doubt it because RR in her last fights has shown good movement and ability to not take hard shots

And does anyone think that if or rather when it hits the clinch she has learned enough to out strike RR there whilst keeping her feet on the floor and herself vertical?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think Rousey outstrikes, outworks and dominates Holm in the 60 or so seconds that the fight lasts.

17. Combat Sports

And I think that is point blank ridiculous. Rousey needs to go back to vintage strike force Ronda, take her to the ground and submit her as fast as she can. She couldn't even stand with Bethe and not get hit in the face WHILE she was dominating her.

18. Hannibal

That same Bethe she sparked out?

19. Combat Sports

Yes. With all the technique and flair of a girl in a world star hip hop video.

20. Combat Sports

Look, this is not about saying that Rousey sucks as an MMA fighter. Nobody is arguing that. But suggesting she outstrikes Holly Holm is absolute nonsense. Like Edmond level garbage. (Ironic, as he said she could beat Holly Holm in a boxing match which is flat out ludicrous).

But don't jump on the hype train so much as to suggest something as absurd as Ronda outstrikes and outworks a professional boxer. Ronda can beat her so long as Ronda sticks to what she is good at.

Bethe was never anything more then a paper challenger, who got a title shot with a gimmick not unlike a typical day in the WWE. There is not a single girl in the top 5 of the Bantamweight division that would not of laid waste to Bethe.

The fight did at least showcase that Ronda has power. Now what she needs is a real striking coach.