An analysis of Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say most female MMA athletes have no problem training with men because if they did they'd have almost no one to train with.
    Ronda came out of that whole Armenian/Hayastan/Gokor/Gene Lebell set of guys.
    She is many things but worried about training with guys ain't one of 'em.

2. Sylverstorm

Sylverstorm Valued Member

It's the internet, there are loads of them waiting to burst out from their caves and from underneath bridges when they see an opportunity to attack someone.

I think she has the fastest finish in an UFC title fight, but there are a few faster finishes in normal bouts.

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Agreed. One day you're everyone's darling and brazenly trumpet that you could beat anyone in your division with one arm, the next you get the poop kicked out of you and brutally knocked out by someone you utterly trash talked...yeah, I'd say her ego got dinged a little.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

She badly needs a PR handler.
    She should have walked off the plane head high with just some sunglasses on.
    Put a brave face and on and own the damage she has.
    Start rebuilding that hard persona and that getting clocked in the fizzog was no big deal.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep my bad she has fastest finish in a UFC title fight (male or female) (14 seconds) and the Second-fastest finish in a UFC title fight (male or female) (16 seconds)

6. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I just heard that Ronda is on medical suspension for 180 days. If true then definitely no immediate rematch.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The minimum suspension is only 60 days.

8. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I heard it by word of mouth. Can't swear to accuracy. But if 60 days is the minimum what is the max?

9. holyheadjch

180 unless cleared with a CT of her head. Pretty standard for concussions.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

She stated before the fight that she was taking time off for movie commitments. Before the fight, the talk was UFC 200 - next summer I think.

So, don't expect her before that.

11. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I honestly hope they let Holly fight someone else in the meantime. Holly is not really old but she is getting to the edge of the twilight years of a fighter's career.

12. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Why wouldn't they? She should defend her title against the enxt in line.

13. aaradia

Realistically, that often isn't how the UFC works..............

Holm wasn't really next in line. At least, hardly anyone thought so before the fight.

14. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

be that as it may, why wouldn't Holly defend her title against someone before Ronda returns? I was responding to Combat Sports who said he hopes Holly will be able to defend the title before Ronda returns. Why would Dana White make Holly wait a whole year with no fight? He certainly never did that to Ronda or any of the male champions.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In a word, money. No fight will make either her or the UFC as much money as a rematch, and fighting between now and July jeopardises that payday.
    Very good opinion piece on this on Sherdog
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/article...s-of-SmartbutScared-Marquee-Matchmaking-96011

16. holyheadjch

Because if Holm lost to Tate (which is the most likely match to make), then you get Rousey/Tate III, which White has made clear he isn't interested in.

17. aaradia

UFC might make it Holm and the fighter Tate refused to fight- was that Amanda Nunes? Let Nunes skip up because Tate wouldn't fight her. I could totally see that happening.

18. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Amanda vs Holly would be a good fight to make. I'd have to root for Amanda since she is Brasiliero.

19. holyheadjch

Holm/Nunes makes even less money than Holm/Tate and Nunes/Rousey probably makes even less money than Tate/Rousey.

20. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Doesn't the UFC make fights by fan polls? From what I understand Dana makes the fights the fans say they want to see according to the polls.