american kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by murphyg, Oct 5, 2004.

1. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

hi
    Im starting kickboxing in the UK next week after a long wait of deciding what to do. Anyways, after going to a skool near me i found that there is another one that is American Kickboxing. I have no idea wat the diference between the two are, please explain.
    cheers

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

As I understand it the difference is AK does not use knee and elbow strikes. That and a couple of competition rules.

3. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

nice 1. Cheers for clearin that up Nordic.
    Il let you knw how i get on next week.
    cheers again

4. These are:

Kicks ABOVE the waist ONLY
    Most don't use spinning backfist
    Foot and shin pads

Can't think of a lot more

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

No i believe you are mistacken. -not you norm .

Kickboxing in general doesnt have knee or elbow strikes. The difference (as i have found out from MAP myself) is that american kickboxig = Boxing hands + karate kicks no low kicks. European kickboxing = Boxing hands + muay thai kicks (hitting with shins in roundhouse e.t.c.) , a couple of katate kicks (not quite sure about that because i dont know if MT has spining kicks) , low kicks .

No knees or elbows in both. If you add knees and elbows you get thai boxing rules.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  6. Athleng Nordic

Kewl. Guess we study a variety of things and I've not got the full scoop of information. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. You were basically right mate. You outlined a large part of the difference between muay thai and American kickboxing. American kickboxing doesn't allow knees and elbows. Alex makes a good point. But, really, muay thai-style kicks aren't banned in American kickboxing. You wouldn't get disqualified for throwing a thai round kick rather than a knee-chambered karate round kick.

There are, to my knowledge, two American karate organizations. PKA and ISKA. One allows low kicks and the other doesn't. So even that isn't an ironclad way of identifying American kickboxing.

Really, the absence of knees and elbows is a good indicator.

Stuart

8. I'm with the PKA (If you couldn't tell ;))

IKF sanction american kickboxing (mainly now known as FC = Full contact kickboxing), and a few other lesser known bodies do, too. There is light continuous aswell which is NEVER light but doesn't allow knockouts. Basically it's FC on a mat with no knockdowns using American rules. The PKA do a lot of this.

Go here: http://kickboxing-london.co.uk/past stars.htm :p

Anyone remember that Bill Wallace guy, or Benny the Jet? Don Wilson? How about Joe Lewis? Did they all compete in PKA ? Thought so :p;) Sorry - couldn't resist :D

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Benny competed in PKA?

Huh.

10. Yep :D

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Groovy. Did they do the fights in Japan then? Or did he fight over here?

12. He came over I think. PKA middleweight champ in the seventies (I think). The PKA still have their "Nationals" every year now, but they're in England (HAHA :D) ;)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh! That's two new things I've learned on this thread. Cheers Norm.

Stuart

14. What are they? Benny competing and ???

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

the nationals being in England.

16. Athleng Nordic

Holy-Conolly so many differences. How would know what I'm getting into going into a fight? :)

17. I think you'd be told :rolleyes: If not just ask your coach :)

The PKA's pretty big over here. Is it still around over there (USA)?

Yep the nationals are just before summer. They're not quite the same as the old ones and on the menu is continuous, semi/points, demos, teams, presentations (Blackbelts since last nationals, instructor of the year etc).

Remember, these are the events that Bill Wallace used to win (and more importantly that I came third in last year :))

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Honestly, I don't know. Finding kickboxing on the tellie over here is a real trick. Kickboxing in general isn't very big. And when you do find it on the tellie, it's usually K1 (which suits me just fine).

So PKA is the organization that evolved from full-contact karate?

Stuart

19. Same - K1 mania at the moment. We have a program called fight club which is basically K1 and 20 seconds of something else :(

Basically, yes:...

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Groovy. :)