american kenpo vs. vadha kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by cbraves85, Feb 25, 2004.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

is there a difference between American Kenpo and Vadha Kempo. What are the similarities and differences?

2. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Looks like an VADHA was created by someone who trained American Kenpo. Then chose to create his own version, probably to do the big jump to 10th degree master. If you are looking for training in a karate style striking art and in NYC I would look into this guy
    http://www.uskenshikai.com/

I know him and he also knows the Grappling/pressure point side of the arts very well. He is the real deal

3. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi i can only speak about american kenpo,but not all people who go out and start a spin off system are seeking quick routes to 10 th deg ,i am the proud owner of kenpo fighting system ,a style i evolved over many years ,why!,it was parkers wish ,mr parker wrote quite publicly that he always wanted his art to evolve with the times and peoples perseption of arts,and times have changed ,people have changed ,trad styles are struggling and mma is reaching new heights ,again why!,freedom to explore ,multi range combat ,less politics,less garbidge,people with busy lives ,people affected by the media and movies,ufc ,pride ,cage rage .as paker worked the american team to victory with benny the jet and such like,we must push the boundaries today,having a great system if not everything today,it is only stagnated people that have left kenpo were it was when mr parker died ,and are not doing what mr parker wished .i still have some quite sucsessful american kenpo clubs in the uk ,but i hope the people studying my fighting system will see the outstanding effectiveness of kenpo and chose to cross train,i to have taken a lot of crap over my new system ,but i don't see to many other kenpoist out ther trying to push kenpo into the public eye .
    take athos of american kenpo taiji he has pushed kenpo into the public eye,
    he has been in combat,mai,fighters ,irish fighters,and more,i to also have submited articles to combat and mai,so before daming other kenpoists please think of the implications it has in your own system.i am a true kenpoist train 5 plus days a week pushing my own boundaries so i cant push my students boundaries,best thing you can do is go and see ,judge for yourself ,take the art on its own merits,(or he could be looking for a quick 10th deg !!!haa haaa)
    matt :love:

4. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

MATSLOTH- well said, I train with TMA's who are always pushing the techniques and the study of the body and how it works. I also feel that the MMA trend is full of guys who focus more on blunt truama and force than economy of motion and tehcnique, or getting the max result out of the least effort. I mentionede the 10th dan jump becuase here in the US we hear alot of " I WAS A PURPLE BELT AND BETTER THAN ANY OF MY INSTRUCTORS, I GOT MY SODAN, THEN NIDAN THAT IS WHEN I CREATED THIS THE MOST EFFECTIVE STYLE EVER. NOW AT 10TH DAN I CAN TEACH YOU THIS AMAZING ART." Then you look at the style and it is a sloppy version of his old style. It is sad.

5. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

i agree totaly,these guys need to prove themselves on the floor not by mouth.martial arts are full of ego's .i developed my fighting system to further kenpo not limit it.to encourage these people back into american kenpo ,and if not american kenpo a system based on proven facts ,efective systems that work.not these so called mcdojo's,parkers system is so effective ,if seen done corectly,it changes the way people look at martial arts,the way science ,physics and anatomy are brought together,united ,that was parkers genius.i hope through kenpo fighting system i will introduce mma people to kenpo ,some say i am mma ,i do cross train but i am kenpo through and through.my system is based mostly on the techniques of parker .not these shortened things taught today,the real full techniques.i also use my own free flo system of blending techniques ,for instance blending delayed sword into detour from doom to captured leaves ,ect,then instead of kenpo form ,which have been so modified from instructor to instructor.free form which encourages students to develope their own forms from techniques that make sense to them ,which they have to explain and do a thesis on ,principles and concepts.it has taken me years to develope this.so please explore kenpo for yourself use the tools given to you buy your instructors ,and the bodys around you to understand motion,and put principles and concepts into action,
    if you learn techniques the use all the tools in the techs to make it work at its max capacity,and don't miss out any major key moves,you are only cheating yourself,many instructors think they are doing you a favour shortening techs and simplyfying them .
    anyway i won't get started i can talk crap all day, sorry.
    matt

6. vadha1

vadha1 New Member

Kempo is a chinese martial art which is commonly called chinese boxing, the style is
    considered to be a linear (straight) martial art which is commonly used in face to face scenarios( Standing directly in front of your opposer). Vadha is an ancient Martial Art from Tibet. A direct decendent of Yoga. Introduced in the U.S. in the late 70's early 80's by a man named Omar Kelley. The style of Vadha is very circular ( Best described as a cross between Kung Fu and Aikido). Vadha Kempo is a combination of the 2 styles which was founded in the early to mid 80's by a man called John Salvagio. He combined the 2 to because both linear and circular Martial Arts on there own have weaknesses. He wanted the power that is common with linear Martial Arts and the fluidness of circular Martial Arts. Vadha in its own form uses alot of poison hand techniques and bone breaks while using 45 degree angles to achieve openings and these 45 degree angles are used ultimately to achieve the backside of your opposer. I hope this clears up any questions about this style of Martial Arts.

7. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

I study RYUKYU KEMPO ( Okinawian) originally from the Sieyu Oyata lineage and 45 degree movement and strike angles (KYUSHO JUTSU) is a major part of it. Circular motion in the grappling techniques ( TUITE JUTSU). This is due to the large White Crane influence in the style. I was commenting on the impression the website gives and the general state of KENPO in the USA. If you open Black Belt Magazine or do a search you will find so many 10TH dan GM your head will spin.

8. matsloth

matsloth New Member

9. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi guys
    no disrespect but i thought the question was american kenpo vs vadha kenpo,
    american kenpo is a linear and circular system,utaliseing all angles and motion,
    useing a rapid sucsesion of uper and lower casement weapons to destroy width depth and height of oponent ,i could go on, but check out some epak site's i think you will find it one of the most definitive of the style.
    but be careful what sites you check as some are pretty misrespesentative of the art.try larry tatums thats not a bad one.
    cheers
    matt