Am I Too Old To Start Wrestling Now?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by johnl'pooluk, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Emiliobrown1992

Emiliobrown1992 New Member

Can i start to be a strong wrestler?

Can I be a strong wrestler? At age 21 . I like to wrestle on lake rafts. Used to manual labour and lifting the beams in the sawmill. I sure like to wrestle at church and work outin the barn .me and Mark like to go steer wrestling . And roping.
    But once I hurt my back.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Almost no one who trains at any age or any sport ever gets good enough to go pro, or be in the Olympics. That does not stop them from doing it and getting as good as they can.

If the op starts wrestling tomorrow he will be a better wrestler than I am.

It is never to late to start training unless you keep putting it off until tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The orignal poster had 6 total posts, the latest was in 2008. I think he made up his mind years ago. Guessing he didn't go for it as he hasn't been here since then.

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Well I did not see the original post date. I feel a bit off.

5. bloodynose

bloodynose Valued Member

I just started BJJ at 40. Never too old to start something...

Might be too old to finish it though!

6. bloodynose

bloodynose Valued Member

Doh!
    Should have read the whole thread... Re-posting dates!

7. Martial Padawan

Martial Padawan New Member

My friend just started to go to Krav Maga at 30. You all good :)

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

You can always try, I picked up M.A. after a fifteen year break, I had been smokeing and generally speaking not living in a healthy mannor at all for several years, now ive been exorcizeing and practiceing ma for about a year and three months, I look and feel pretty freakin good.
    Guys like me arnt rare, in fact lots of guys hit middle age and decide to get into shape, your only 26 im thinking your chances of sucess are pretty good, better than pretty good really, you just have to commit.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

me too! bjj at 40! my goal is to stick with it to black belt and beyond, and to be a teacher at my current school so i can teach my own kids (who are currently 4 and 3). i've got a way to go...

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

:wow:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3CDDu4AYSg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3CDDu4AYSg[/ame]

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Do you mean "Pro" wrestler good or "pro wrestler" good? Is it Gotch or Hulk Hogan you're referring to?

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'm curious to know where an adult could even get training in wrestling (Greco-Roman, Freestyle, Catch Wrestling, etc)

I know that a few high-level MMA places provide training in it to their fighters, but I don't know of any that provide Wrestling 101 to Sub Competitive courses to the gen pop in the same way as one can find with boxing, judo, jujitsu and the like.

Gymnastics for adults. That's another I've never had recollection of ever seeing.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The wrestling clubs I went to in the UK (Birmingham and some places around Manchester) just took anyone and would show them the basics. It was like going to any other martial art. If there was a few beginners, they would be seperated and work out together. I started wrestling in Stoke, it was a new club so everyone was a beginner.

When I left the UK it was totally different. Wrestling is much stronger in Europe than in the UK, especially in the Nordics and Eastern Europe (I lived in Prague for a while).

For some reason women and children often do freestyle and adult males do Greco. It's not something adults start doing. All the guys in the gym had been traning since they were kids and competed, or had competed, international level too. I was welcomed there, but expected to just muddle along and get stuck in.

Very few techniques were taught in the class. It was all drilling and wrestling and feedback. We'd get real beginners turn up, they'd be shown a throw or two and then got stuck in. They never lasted more than a couple of lessons.

I'd done some judo, freestlye, MMA, BJJ etc so it wasn't too bad. But I had to accept that I wasn't learning much and quit. Shame really as greco is great.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  14. jaksun

jaksun New Member

The difference between starting young and old is that when you're young everything you learn is fascinating and inspire you to do more of it, when you're old many things will come across your mind that will distract you or bore you out of what you were doing before but then again you might be the other adult type that can focus on one thing and put a lot of dedication into it. I'd say go ahead and do wrestling and even go out to compete. It's all about confidence.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  15. belltoller

Nahh man....I'm much more confident than I was 30 years ago. Much more.

Its just getting my body to buy it, that's the problem.

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The place I was doing MMA at a group from the University of Florida wrestling club (no "team" as wrestling isn't a thing in the south) come and do some classes to augment the MMA stuff. They also invited people to come train at the high school facilities they trained at (you read that right. they trained at a high school since UF didn't have a facility for it). All I remember was taking the invite up and then getting double leg take downed into a wall with weightlifting trees for weight storage, and everyone stopped and went, "whoa, just missed out on calling an ambulance on that one." I think this was around the time I was signing up for the ol' Marine Corps so I never went back and had dropped training altogether to work and exercise instead.

If I wanted to wrestle I would probably scout some MMA places out and ask if there was any training in the area. I'm sure if you go to the mid west it's like any other martial art since it's big in those areas.

17. belltoller

I'm not especially wanting to start wrestling ( boxing is more than enough to occupy me ) but I'd noticed that there are very few places that provide off the street people with training in it.

We go to an MMA school and its not something offered outside their Pro "by invite only" classes. That may've changed since they opened up an ammy mma class.

No I was just thinking that wrestling is not something you see out there - TKD, boxing, BJJ, karate, Judo, Muay Thai abound but one never sees wrestling ( or gymnastics outside of kids/young teens ).

Now it is popular here, no doubt. American Football reigns supreme and for most middle-school - high school players, they take wrestling in Football's off-season. My boys would be in it but it happens to conflict with their boxing schedules.

But just as with football, the kids' school wrestling teams are feeder orginisations for the big University wrestling programmes. Its amasingly formal and locked down. If you live in a certain area of town, you're kids can only wrestle with that townships wrestling programme which is a feeder for a certain high school. One can't just sign up with a different programme down the road! They won't take them. Its quietly "understood".

Oh, and ya better not start late if you want to participate. If you're just starting your kids out in football, for example, and they've reached 9 or so and don't know/haven't played a year or two, they are going to probably have a hard time getting on a team - unbelievable.

Wrestling is a little better as it starts at a relatively later age (12 ?) but that same sort of mentality exists. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I highly doubt if the University of Arizona's wrestling team is even going to think about bringing someone in for a tryout if they haven't made a name for themselves in one of the high-school feeder programmes. I'm sure there may be exceptions.

Anyroads, nah...for whatever reasons...wrestling has this weird 'exclusive property of School athletic Dept' thing going.

I suppose one doesn't see that with Judo and boxing because there isn't this holy pipeline that exists between the big schools athetic depts. and that given sport, perhaps.

Maybe you were young enough to be considered a "potential contender" , I don't know.

18. Ero-Sennin

Lol, nope. I was looked at for being practice meat. This was when I was big into weight lifting, deadlifting 600lbs and whatnot :p. Big and strong and able to keep going forever :p. The MMA guys were starting to look at me towards the end, taking guys to ammy comps and whatnot but I left to the military. I wonder how different my life would have been if I didn't join, maybe not sitting here healing a head injury (or maybe dead from one!).

Wrestling is a weird one. I've seen gymnastic places around for adults, never seen a wrestling place though.

19. belltoller

One should never go down that hole

20. Ero-Sennin

Lol, that's good advice really. I've dived pretty deep down that hole and got myself nice and depressed a few times. Nothing like having your midlife crisis at 24-26 yrs old right?