Am I too old to start Thai boxing and get good?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Shooter McGavin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yes, of course there's still a chance for you to take it up and compete!
    All you need to do is go to your local gym and get started. :cool:
    You'll never know where it might take you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Professional fighters retiring at 28 probably do so as a result of the wear tear/damage sustained in all their fights. Especially in places like thailand where they start fighting full contact at a very young age. This isn't a relevent example.

Personally at 30 I feel far fitter, quicker and stronger than I ever have. I frequently spar with guys aging from 17 upwards and don't feel at a disadvantage in terms of speed or reaction time. I've recently had 3 boxing matches and have boxed quite well in each, although I only won 2.

Anderson Silva, 36, and Dan Henderson, 41, recently put on career best performances. Obviously they're pretty special fighters but its not unusual to see fighters around that age fighting at a high level.

OP - Train hard and you can be as good as you want to be.

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

its never too late. What you learn you can pass to your seed

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I don't really think that's the case per se. While undoubtedly there is a certain amount of wear and tear... I think it's more down to the continual turnover of newer, fresher, faster reflexed, more hungry fighters continually coming into the game. Simple fact of life is that as you age you slow. I wish it wasn't so myself... but that's the way it is.

Umm... when someone's talking about professional Muay Tha it is. Granted at this point I think it's fairly obvious the OP isn't going to head to Lumpini, Raja or Omnoi as a contender any time soon. I don't think that was his intention. So yes he should most def. train and get stronger and learn the art first. There's a whole lot to it.

You could very well be... compared to yourself when you were 19. Depends on what you were doing when you were 19. Though I suspect if you were up against a professional level fighter who's 10-15 years younger than yourself you might not feel so fit or so quick anymore.

The guys you are sparring with are who? Proper ABA level amatuer boxers? Because I've yet to see someone who's 30 that can even come close to the speed of a 17 year old proper ABA level boxer. Got any footage of this? As if often said in the gym... you have to fight smarter as you get older because speed and to a certain extent aggressiveness is no longer on your side. There are many reason for this... drop off in testosterone production... etc. So the older fighters rely on ring generalship, strategy and heart. Speed is the domain of the younger fighter.

Yes... and... they've been fighting as pro's for how long? They certainly didn't start at 28.

No reason not to train and train hard. Heck... jump in once you have your skills up and have some interclubs or smokers. But in my experience and the way I've seen it from both the fight side and the promotion side... there are not many people who start out at 28 to learn Muay Thai and become pro. By pro I mean someone who fights on a regular basis with a proper coach and represents a gym is looking to A) move up in the rankings B)make a living from it.

Sparring and training and inter-clubs are all fine and well... but it's not professional fighting. Not by a long shot. Most straight ahead boxers who train a few days a week at their local gym are in for the rudest awakening when they start sparring with proper amateurs. Time and time and time again... the one thing that always is dead apparent is speed. At 30... most just simply don't have the speed or reaction time you did in your younger years.

Sadly, one only has to look at Roy Jones Jr. to see this in pro boxing and Orono Por Muang Bon in pro Muay Thai.

None of this means don't train and try it on for size with a few interclubs... but temper it with some reality as to what professional fighting is about.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, personally I think injuries are by far the number one reason behind most fighters retiring. You interview ten retired pro fighters from any combat sport about why they retired and I bet at least eight will cite injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I do think age affects this and I'm sure as I get into my 30's I will start to notice it. But not by the age of 28 for most people IMHO. I remember an interview with Bas Rutten who said he personally felt in his prime at the age of 35, as fast as when he was younger and stronger than at any point before or since. I can't find the link to the interview so I'm not sure exactly what he said but it was along those lines.

I've never sparred with a current ABA boxer. I have sparred with ex pros who were both quicker and older than me.

Yes but they are now older than 28.....:rolleyes: I was referring to the perceived lose in quickness and reaction speed being associated with being at ,or over, the age of 28.

I don't think anyones suggesting he would become a pro, or would want to.

6. daggers

daggers Valued Member

he fought on a uk fight scene on a top promoters pro show. he fought with shinpads first fight (novice)then c class rules for the others.

in the uk we have a ranking system..interclub , amateur, pro am then pro novoice, c class, b class, a class (full rules)

the guys he was matched with were of similar experience ie 1st fight 2nd fight. so not really unbelievable at all.

7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

besides..who said anything about deriving wages and fighting serious competition to a top level?
    the question was am i too old to compete?
    i reassured him that he was not to old as i had a 43 year old compete. yes it was pro, albeit at novice level..i dont believe in amateur...as alot of others dont.. but thats another story..

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, I'm 47 and just starting MT. I'm going at it as if I'm training for a possible entry into competition and by doing that, I'm getting into the best shape of my life.

Of course, I'm under no delusions about fighting pro ( or even semi-pro ) level 20 somethings. Its a mind game that I need to play with myself in order to keep performing my absolute best after years and years of abuse and disuse.

I'm finding that strategy is paying off handsomely in that I'm defeating my worst opponent - myself.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

When I started training Muay Thai to supplement my Kyokushin training, I was older than you. Granted I'm probably never going to compete in amateur bouts ever, but you can start at any age. Heck, one of the guys I trained with in Thai Boxing was a lean, mean biker in his 60s who could fight pretty well.

10. Zach2k

Zach2k Valued Member

I know this would vary from person to person, but on average how long does it take for someone to go to beginner to competing professionally? Generally being in good shape and training 2-3 times a week.

11. slipthejab

Training two to three times a week isn't enough to be a pro. The reality is you need to be at it twice a day 6 days a week. Standard routine in most camps is two hours in the morning and two hours in afternoon or evening... but often its more than that. Including lots of roadwork. You need to define 'good shape' because that's probably not the same as being fit for a fight. Most people never are that fit unless they're training for a fight.

When I say pro I mean fighting under a full MT rules ruleset and deriving your income off of that... and that means fighting on a regular basis not once or twice a year.

Other people may have different ideas but for me that's how it was and many of the guys I still train with who are currently in the fight game train that way.

12. slipthejab

Training two to three times a week isn't enough to be a pro. The reality is you need to be at it twice a day 6 days a week. Standard routine in most camps is two hours in the morning and two hours in afternoon or evening... but often its more than that. Including lots of roadwork. You need to define 'good shape' because that's probably not the same as being fit for a fight. Most people never are that fit unless they're training for a fight.

When I say pro I mean fighting under a full MT rules ruleset and deriving your income off of that... and that means fighting on a regular basis not once or twice a year.

Other people may have different ideas but for me that's how it was and many of the guys I still train with who are currently in the fight game train that way.

13. komuso

komuso Valued Member

I can only echo what a number of the other more geriatric folks (check my own top right hand corner...) have said. It is basically a question of having realistic expectations and going as hard as you are able within the bounds that your body sets for you. I guess one of the advantages that you bring to the table as an older martial artist is that you are (hopefully) a little better at 'listening' to your body and knowing when to slow down or stop.

That and while you may not be as fast or as strong, you are DEFINATELY meaner and sneakier. :)

paul

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Zaad, there is a book you oughta get - really just to read the intro chapter - "A Day in the Life of a Thai Boxer" from the book Muay Thai Unleashed. Its a too-short but fascinating look at the training that potentials undergo from age twelve or so in Thailand.

Once you read it, you'll see 'training two or three times a week' in a far different light :)

15. thechosen1

thechosen1 New Member

It depends how much you want it, just remember you never get something for nothing, if you want to be good at something, there's only one thing you can do, train your ass off, you can never train too hard.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Theres a guy in my club who's 46, another who's 52. They both compete and for their age are in amazing shape. As long as you feel able to do so and recieve the proper training, at 28, there's no reason why you couldn't at some level or another.

And for the record I'm 32 and intend to compete at some point once I'm ready too. It's all about what shape you keep yourself in and the training and advice you recieve from your coach (in my opinion). It also depends on how well you, and your body, respond to the training you're recieving.

@Everyone discussing pro circuit, the guy never said anything about going fully professional. He just wants to compete. He made this quite clear on the first page.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  17. Zach2k

Zach2k Valued Member

I thought some of us 'older' lads might find the following interview/piece inspirational:

http://k-starthaiblog.tumblr.com/post/28335326871/on-the-ropes-with-pete-rai

How old were you when you first started Thai boxing, and What inspired you to get involved?
    no laughin.. just turned 34, needed to get fit, my health was not very good, as the doc put it..i won’t state the belly size or waist size i was..or moobs size lol,

Fight record - am/pro? - am= 7f - 5 wins 3tko’s - pro = 12f 7w 4 tko’s - total 19f 12 w x7 via stoppages , just wished i started allot younger lol

Favorite fighter in the sport? orginally - remi bonjanski…I kinda of went mad with K1 following…then bad boy hari & overeem - The i went to MR DT’s 1st fight…..was hooked, since 2007 , i have been to all Mr DT’s uk fights.., he has defo been a massive inspiration to me..

Favorite fighter out of Muay Thai? ….Me..and K star fite crew fighters

Personal career highlight? ..from starting at K star, Steve Logan, D.T, Adrian/Adam.JS1.i don’t think i would be where i am today if it was not for The K Star Academy…then to take out a oppenent who had over 70 fights, and was my 11th!! pps..also getting my 1st K/O as a pro fighter..just new this old man has some fire power..

Toughest opponent you’ve faced? was myself…to where i have came from, to what i was..i am now /have been my own test subject….

What would you say are your strengths in the ring? ..fitness full stop…if you ain’t got it..don’t get in the ring with me, mentally&physically i cannot be broken..why?…because K star partially made me this way..Quote : machine

What should fans at K-star expect to see from a Pete Rai fight? ..
    on the edge of your seat action…, i always aim to please…you are in or out cold.., Hulk smash!

Toughest part of being a Thai boxer? ..family life can suffer..coming up to a fight

Best fight you’ve seen? so many….

Best advice you’ve been given? ..laughing…Kick pete..kick kick kick lol

Next fight? September i hope…I have even put my summer holiday on HOLD…defo promise fireworks..at my next Home fight.. I defo belong at the Tower…..if awarm up fight comes in May , even better..

Favorite music?ckak de phatta..i like dance, and jungle
    Favorite film? no retreat no surrender, awol, blood sport..and sholay
    Last book read? ..finacail times/independent… only do papers
    Other hobbies? ..train, train o and i forgot train..then i have my new toy..Superbike Fireblade - Nutrtion, diets, Herbal Science

So where do you see yourself this time next year? .. no comments at mo, as i am so young.. lol

18. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

very good thread ! answered lots of my questions, thanks

19. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Pete is fighting this weekend, class A rules, should be one hell of a fight! :)