am i the only one

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by samuri-man, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

am i the only one who likes other martial arts, as in all of them and there styles? i'v see others say the art is bad 'cause of this that and the other
    if ther are people who don't say stupid stuff like that please post in.

2. ironknuckles

ironknuckles contemplating....

I myself admire all martial arts as well. Provided they give there practitioner confidence in their ability and they are model citizens of society though I guess thats up to the individual.
    Peace

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

You are not alone in your admiration..I NEVER put down any discipline, I may say it's not for me but if someone else enjoys it and is good at it who am I to insult anothers style..

4. littlesakura10

littlesakura10 New Member

i have tried a few different forms of martial arts, but have found only one that essentially suits me, i think that is the most important thing about training in a particular school or style - that it suits you and that it offers you what you want. (you are the one studying it after all)
    i also think that alot of the time the people that will say to you "this is better" or "that school is bad" or whatever are missing the point of studying a physical artform and may well attend for the power it gives them when they can say "oh i do martial arts"
    regardless, i love watching a practitioner who clearly loves their art, gets excited by learning a new technique or something new about themselves - this joy is a beautiful thing to see and usually comes across in their movements as well as their general attitude to life too.
    besides, how are you going to know you don't like it if you don't try it - don't get put off by what anyone else says, just do what is right for you.

5. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I'm definitely not a Martial Arts relativist. There are numerous martial arts styles out there that are embarrassing and ridiculous. They are presented falsely, they are ridiculously expensive, they are ineffective in improving physical fitness and/or one's abilities as a fighter, etc. There ARE crap schools, there ARE crap styles, and there ARE unfortunate people who are none the wiser and blow their time, money, and energy on these endeavors when they could be utilizing these things so much more wisely and efficiently on a better style.

Does that make me a Nazi? Hardly. It makes me one of very few people who haven't fallen into this pathetic trap of tolerance that has brought down EVERYTHING to the same level in an attempt not to offend, and in doing so has watered the world down in a very sad way.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

couldnt agree more. simple fact that some things plain suck.

7. HapkidoScott

HapkidoScott Valued Member

Maybe we could explain to the poster why they "suck", personally I feel that I can learn something from any MA. That does not mean that I like them all or will train in all styles (which would be impossible for me anyway) but I think everything can teach me something. I am not real old (although I feel like I am at times) but I have been to many different countries and experienced many different things. I try to keep my mind open rather then dispensing something that is totally different to me. Its easy to judge and toss aside that which we do not understand or agree with, but I choose not to follow that way of thought. I have yet to see a MA that doesn't offer something to everyone its the instructors and students that make a MA, good or bad.

8. soon

soon New Member

Sorry HS, I have to say that I feel this view is a tad on the idealistic side. I don't mean to offend you but there are certain techniques and styles that are pretty naive and not very practical.

Having said this, I too like to think of myself as open minded. I am willing to listen to arguments and be corrected, but at some point I have to make decisions based on my own experience and agenda. I find I learn more when I don't wander about like a kid in a sweet shop and am in a position to level some constructive critisism.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  9. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

I would hesitate to judge any other style on the basis of seeing it's example in a few schools. I can say that my art is best for me, or I can say that one doesn't suit me, but claiming knowledge of the best examples of all arts isn't possible for most people.

10. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

While it's true that some things objectively suck, it's terribly arrogant to consider oneself the expert on what fits into that category.

11. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

You are in teh correct. Too bad most people make excuses for suckiness, and prevent evolution.

12. Punch-Kik-Choke

I like what you have to say on tolerance. It's true that it is one of lifes great unknown problems. it annoys me that people are so soft/tolerant on lies, incompetance, freud, and plain old evil.

When Hitler was making his way through Poland, the european superpowers did nothing, hoping that Hitler would have his fill and call it quits.

Look where that got the us.

Tolerance is usually a bad idea, especially when it is often better to offend people out of their stupid beliefs. If not for being offensive, there would be no progress.

13. medi

Yes. TMA claiming eye jabs are effective = Hitler's invasion of Europe.

When will we learn to stand up to Evil?

14. Punch-Kik-Choke

If a MA taugh that in order to win a fight, it's best to urinate in your pants while ramming your head into a brick wall. Would you still stick around because "you can always lean something from a MA"? Learning how to pee your pants doesn't count as being productive in my book.

And lets be serious, my analogy isn't that far off.

Now break those flaming boards with spacers.

15. Punch-Kik-Choke

Way to jump to retarded conclusions.
    The Post was about the dangers of too much tolerance (at least mine was)
    i have no idea how eye pokes work into it.

16. medi

That would be one of the things you wouldn't bother learning from a particular Martial Art, then.

17. medi

The thread is about tolerance for other people's martial arts beliefs. I have no idea how you worked Hitler into it.

18. Punch-Kik-Choke

Um, how about because of.... I dont know..this.

<Posted by Socrastein> Does that make me a Nazi? Hardly. It makes me one of very few people who haven't fallen into this pathetic trap of tolerance that has brought down EVERYTHING to the same level in an attempt not to offend, and in doing so has watered the world down in a very sad way.

Your reading comprehension skills still leave much to be desired.

19. medi

LMAO

To summarize his post, he said "I'm intolerant of other people holding martial arts beliefs I don't agree with. It doesn't make me a Nazi (in the sense of oppressing others' beliefs) because I think disagreeing with each other is healthy"

Your response is "Yes, tolerance is bad because that's what let Hitler rampage over Europe"

If you can't see what's wrong with that segue then your reading comprehension needs A LOT of work.

Not to mention your History studies...

20. Punch-Kik-Choke

Why must you whine like this?
    You asked How i could bring a Hitler analogy into this, I then posted a nazi reference That appears directly above my post.

My point was simple. "too much tolerance is bad" Which is exactly what HIS point was.

I then gave a historically accurate annalogy (want to debate WW2? then you should know what Appeasement refers to.)

Stop dodging the facts so you can flame me.

Oh, and you summerized his point wrong. HE wasn't talking about what he AGREED with. he (and Ikken) were saying "some things just plain suck, Tolerance has turned the world into one big suck-fest" this has nothing to do with agreement.

looks like you missed that point, eh?

Unless you are saying that Hitler in fact doesn't suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.