Am I excessively eating?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Apr 20, 2008.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

I have been eating relatively healthy (with the exception of my dinners, as I live at home I have little influence over my dinners)

I cut out the most obvious unhealthy snacks I use to eat and replaced them with something healthy, but it seems my amount of eating has increased.

at the moment Im eating

for breakfast
    1 cup of yoghurt (lite)

Morning tea
    Rice crackers (98% fat free)
    Tuna - in spring water, not oil

Lunch
    1 x club sandwich
    cucumber slices

afternoon tea
    1/2 sliced capsicum
    1 manderin

6ish ill have a protein shake

Dinner (about 8)
    Whatever is cooked which is usually unhealthy.

I weight around 73kg-75kg, with a fair bit of muscle on me.
    Does this seem excessive for someone of my weight?
    Should I try cutting it back a bit?

I found when I first started this I started getting dizzy (im guessing lack of iron in my diet?) this seemed to have stopped after I started eating tuna and taking fish oil supplements

2. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Doesn't seem excessive to me- in fact it seems a tad on the light side. And definitely lacking in vitamins and minerals.

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

If I ate like that I would be as skinny as a twig. Maybe you should count how many calories you are consuming everyday.

4. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Cheers, so should I buy some mutli vits or something like that?
    Is it better to get vitamins naturally or are the mutli vits an ok source?

How would I go about getting minerals.
    Is there any type of food that is healthy but has a strong amount of minerals in it?

5. wrydolphin

Well, first eat real foods. Avoid processed foods as much as possible and start getting in your fruits and veg. I am always a fan of avoiding multi vits, but they aren't bad when it comes down to it. But with some moderate adjustments- such as adding berries or other fresh fruit to yogurt along with some fiber such as wheetabix or granola/meuslix. Take some fresh veg or fruit with you for snacking etc.

Really you shouldn't have to have multivits if you are actually eating real food. If all you eat is processed crap, then yes, you'll need vitamins.

6. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

I thought I would be eating enough fruit n veges with what Im eating.

with the cucumber, capsicum,mandarin, yoghurt (has real chunks of strawberry in it)
    dinner has mixed veges.
    And the club sandwich is mostly vege (with ham in it)

I dont eat much processed food.

7. wrydolphin

I don't think you are getting the at least five servings a day that you should be getting- and that's a minimun. Seven is better. And no, the pieces in the yogurt don't count as a serving and if its the prepackaged yogurt its little more then corn syrup and some clotted milk. Its better to find lightly sweetened yogurt (I prefer goat's milk actually) and a half cup of real fruit.