alternatives to improve fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Put bluntly ive spent my life sat on my butt either on the playstation or watching tv. It's a good life up till one day i decided i wanted to join the Territorials and I have no chance what so ever of passing the entrance fitness exam. Im okay with the push ups and sit ups but apparently i need to reach just over level 10 in the bleep test. I know the most obvious way is jogging and running and I've no problem doing that but I was wondering if there ar other alternatives i can do alongside my punchbag, dips, press up etc.
    To put it into perspective i think i got 5.6 in my last bleep test a couple weeks back. That's baaaad

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You need to do some interval training. This will help you work at the higher levels of the bleep test.

I know some will disagree but I think it's also worth laying down a foundation of long slow distance work to build some stamina.

Pat O'Keefe has a good programme in one of his Kickboxing books for this.

Again, I'm sure others can give more detail or may disagree but from your starting point I think 4 weeks of running 3 times a week for a 3/4 mile distance aiming for 9-10 minute miles would give you a foundation. Increase your pace if you find it easy.

Then start with fartlek/interval training. There's a load of info on this here on MAP and elsewhere. Burn for a period then jog to recover.

Finally, mental attitude. I always kick myself for giving up too soon on the bleep test. I've never thrown up after it for example. Push yourself really hard once your fitness is up and you can do it.

Level 10 may seem like a lot, but if you're a reasonably fit non-smoker who puts a little bit of effort into training for it you'll do fine :)

Best of luck!

Mitch

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What's a bleep test?

How many times you can say the f word in 1 second?

You have to say the f word 10 times in 1 second? Try tongue twisters!

joking here

4. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

This is what you need to do first. Starting interval training with no training experience is a good way to injure yourself. Build up a good base of aerobic fitness by doing medium to high intensity runs for a good length duration of 30 or so minutes.

Agree with this. After you have built up a base level of fitness you can start mixing in some interval training as well.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Get yourself a bike and use it to travel instead of a bus. Use it to go to the pool and swim.

6. Southpaw535

cheers for the help guys it's appreciated.

7. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

How do you swim on your bike?!

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Near as I could get

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSajTZkR1E[/ame]

9. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

10. Southpaw535

You have discovered the greatest joy of MAP.

11. DomoCobra

DomoCobra New Member

You can practise the bleep test more often by downloading it to your phone and doing it i nyour own time

12. Southpaw535

I'm somewhat tempted. the bright side is i only need to improve one and a half levels rather than four. This along with eye surgery. for all their recruitment drives joining the army sure aint easy!!!!

13. aiki-laurie

aiki-laurie New Member

cool! ill have to try that! i don't want to go in the army but i like a good indication of how fit i am and how i'm progressing! :)

and yea im discovering many things on MAP ^^

14. furn

furn Valued Member

Interval running would help you a lot. Try alternating between 4 X 800 meters, 6 X 600 and etc.

And it's sure if you can go to a pool and swim a lot it will be more than helpfull.

15. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Obviously, if you're joining the army you will needto be able to do long runs - with a heavy pack on your back. So obviously practice exactly that, step by step I guess - lighter pack, shorter run, and work up to it.

Skipping is very tiring for no reason that I can work out.
    Basketball is a great, fun way to get fit - even just jumping around the court bouncing the court.

Best way to get fit is to have fun doing it.

16. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Because pushing our bodies up against the force of gravity is where the majority of our movement energy expenditure goes.

Gravity is also why running is a more costly exercise per distance than walking. You have to push you body up against gravity to enter the flight phase of running.

In skipping, you are jumping higher than when running and therefore use considerable amounts of energy. Unfortunately, most people's calves aren't trained for it and everyone tires quickly.