Alternative to Five rings

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sparx, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

I'm coming to the end of 'the book of five rings' and was wondering what book/s should I read after? I was hoping of reading something like the five rings as it has made me think in a diferent dimension. So what can you recommend? How is the art of war? Maybe a grammer book :rolleyes:

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

perhaps... :D

Attached Files:

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

This is by one of Musashi's contemporaries
    [​IMG]
    The Life-Giving Sword: The Secret Teachings From the House of the Shogun
    By Yagyu Munenori
    http://astore.amazon.com/kunfubooonl-20/detail/4770029551/104-2557738-5903906

if you want more Musashi, I really liked this book:
    [​IMG]
    Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings
    By Kenji Tokitsu
    http://astore.amazon.com/kunfubooonl-20/detail/0834805677/104-2557738-5903906

Finally, this book has a great overview of many writers from the same period, with some commentary.

[​IMG]
    Secret Tactics: Lessons from the Great Master of Martial Arts
    By Kazumi Tabata
    http://astore.amazon.com/kunfubooonl-20/detail/0804834881/104-2557738-5903906

check out www.kungfubooksonline.com, I have lots of great books there.

4. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Well, the first question to ask is: What are you looking to learn? That's the most important question here.

The others have given you some advice.

Incidentally, I believe Thomas Cleary's translation of Musashi's Gorin-no-sho also has Yagyu Munenori's Heiho-Kadensho included, although some people take issues with Cleary's translation of some of the Japanese.

What language do you wish to better understand the grammar of? That'll make a difference of what books to recommend. (Perhaps you could ask about languages and grammar in the cultural forums? Might get better answers there.)

5. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

"My System"--by A. Nimzowitsch (chess book, should be especially interesting to grapplers!)

6. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Have you read the oldy-but-goody "Zen in the martial arts"

Its a light read but it does have some points that you'll find yourself thinking of and smiling as situations in life arise...it, IMO, is a book one can learn from.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Kenpo David... nice selection on the topic. Thanks. :)

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Thanks, my favorite is "Secret Tactics" because it gives an overview of many writers from the period.

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

"The Unfettered mind" by Tukuan Soho

10. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Takuan, in case people are Googling it...

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Every martial artist should read George Silver's Brief Instructions Upon My Paradoxes of Defence. And it's free, though better transcriptions are probably available in hard copy. If you liked Musashi, you'll find Silver very useful. Just the explanation of True and False times is worth the effort. Also, it was originally written in English, which makes the transcription more likely to be accurate. Also interesting is Silver's dislike of the Rapier, over which he favours the traditional basket-hilted sword, since it was of use both in duels and warfare, unlike the civillian-oriented rapier.

Here it is: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/brief.html

Best regards,

-Mark

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Well excuse me spelling bee champion

13. ScottUK

Chill out fella, just helping people find your recommendation... :rolleyes:

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

was just funning ya, i forgot the smily :D

15. Openmind

Openmind New Member

"The Great Karate Myth" by Nathan J. Johnson.

"The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman.

"Ko-do - Ancient Ways".

16. slix

slix Valued Member

2nd the Takuan listings he's got more than an Unfettered mind to offer.

17. old palden

old palden Valued Member

The Art of War by Sun Tzu, definitely, then Hagakure, then read Musashi again, then the Tao te Ching, Bushido by Inazo Nitobe, then Hagakure again, then Budoshoshinshu, then some Confucius, then the Tao te Ching again, then Sun Tzu...

Repeat until dead.

18. ScottUK

Don't forget to train in between chapters.

19. bnyd

bnyd Valued Member

Read Moving Zen if you can find it. It's by C.W. Nicol and the subtitle is "One Mans Journey to the Heart of Karate". Can't recommend it highly enough.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

the guy asked the question in 2007