Allround Routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Arnoo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Hey, i'v been doing the following routine for a while now with the aim of being as all round as possible so i'd like some critique on what to change to make it better thanks in advance.

Cardio:

- 10 min running (inc. Intervall's)
    - 15 min rope jumping
    - 20 min running (inc. Intervall's)

Warmup:

- 5 min Shadow Boxing
    - 2 min Sword fighting (just something i like to play around with :p)

Stretching:

- 15 sec Side Split
    - 15 sec Front Split right leg
    - 15 sec front Split left leg
    - 15 sec Side Split
    - 15 sec Butterfly

Weight training:

Using 3.5kg dumbbells
    - 3 x 100 times Dumbbell Bicep Curl
    - 2 x 15 times Overhead Dumbbell Press
    - 2 x 10 times Small Arm Circle with Dumbbell (5 forward, 5 backward)
    - 2 x 15 Side Lateral Raise
    - 2 x 15 Dumbbell Flyes while standing
    - Bending a similiar stick 2 times
    [​IMG]
    Exercise's names taken from

http://www.worldcycling.com/graphics/00000002/Travel_Stick.jpg

- 1 x 5 pulling out 2 springs attached to grips (pecs / bicep trainging)
    - 1 x 30 Crossed Sit-Up’s (when almost vertical bending elbows inward and tapping left knee with right elbow and right knee with left elbow)

MA Training:

+- 30 Min a day workout (inc. pads, footwork, technique, sparring and combinations)

2 x 3 min a day bag time full out (50kg bag)

2. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

B ring
    U p
    M y
    P ost

still hoping on some good advice guys

3. sg516

sg516 Without ME its just AWESO

the first thing that i would do is hold the stretches longer. i am not sure if its true but my PT told me that static stretches should be held for about 25-30 sec if you really want any benefit from them. and to make sure you ease into them and are relaxed. so i would add 10 sec to each of the stretches you do. also if you are doing flexibility training you should really be doing more thn splits. make sure you are stretching everything and make sure you are giving equal attention to opposing muscle groups. just like when strength trianing you don't want to have imbalances, flexibility imbalances can also lead to injury.

secondly, i would advise against isolating muscles in your weight training. it would be in your best interest to start working multiple muscle groups. try doing squats, dead lifts, rows and or pull ups, bench press, and lunges. lou schuler and alwyn cosgrove make a good argument for the idea that if you train muscles to work in isolation they become less efficient when used in coordination. a buddy of mine, though, makes an equally compelling argument when he says you do the curls for the girls. so i leave it to you.

thirdly the stick is a tool used for rolling out muscles. i am not sure if you are using it correctly. a lot of people at the triathlons i go to use them. i still prefer foam rollers but i can see where the stick is good if you are on the go.

anyway, i hope that helps as a starting point. i also hope i am not being overly critical but you asked for input... twice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  4. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

i dont mind the critic really ;). Okay i was thinking of adding this to the routine then. Most of this would be done with heavier dumbells 6kg and up

-Dumbbell Squat
    -Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
    -Standing Dumbbell Upright Row
    -One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    -Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row
    -Seated Flat Bench Leg Pull-In
    -One Arm Dumbbell Bench Press
    -Dumbbell Lunges

When using the stick i hold it in front of me and then bending it till my hands touch eachother while bending i tend to bring the stick closer to my chest the further i bend it, i cant bend it completly with arms totally stretched.

About flexibility i'l up to time to 25 sec then but can you suggest some sort of extra stretch since i'm not really sure what to add.

cheers in advance

5. sg516

why are you only using 6kg?

6. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

minimum that is can change the weight of that one to the way i want it to but would have to do those exercises first to see where my limit lie's what reps should i do them in 2 x 15 or someting or more ?

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I would pick one of these and stick with it and ditch the rest. I would recommend doing some intervals and doing some running instead of just steady state cardio.

I would look up dynamic warmups, active warmups, athletic warmups. It will give you better warmup techniques.

I personally work on 8-12 stretches for a total of 30 minutes.

Weight training:

What SG says. I would go 3x5 for 1 pull, 1 push, and 1 leg lift, and 3x12 for 1 pull lift, 1 push, and 1 leg lift.

What SG says.

Ab exercises are good

Are you doing all this stuff at one time?

8. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

i also do intervalls while running and i could change it to 15 rope jumping and 30 min of running instead. I'l look up about the warm up thing. You stretch 30 min every day :O i do this routine twice a day. But since you can do it behind the tv and stuff i could do alot more (timewise). What do you think of the extra excercises i suggested Yohan. Ye i do 30 in a row would it be better to do 2 times 20 or something.

I do the weight excercises in the evening before i go to bed cardio and regular training in the afternoon.

9. sg516

i would suggest with the rows just do a one arm bent over row unless you have access to a cable row. there is no need to do a variety of essentially the same exercise in the same workout.

one thing you need to also make sure is that if you are doing squats you are also doing deadlifts. the reason is that they work opposing muscles and if you train one with out the other you are pretty much assuring yourself of a pulled muscle or cramps or serious injury. just like if you work your back you need to work your chest, or if you work your bicep you also work the tricep.

also you should always be challenging your muscle. that means heavier weights or more reps or both each workout. after about 4-6 weeks find new exercises to do or else your body gets used to the routine and you plateau.

the 2 exercises that should pretty much always be in your routine are squat and deadlift. if you don't have time for any other two those are the two to do.

i would suggest if you do lift than lift at the bare minimum 2 times per week and alternate between two different workout routines. if you can workout every other day thats even better but life gets busy.

right now my routine is:
    workout A:
    superset of squat and seated cable row
    superset of supine hip extension and dumbbell push press
    superset of rotational lunge and swiss ball crunch

all exercises are 3 sets of 12 reps with a 60 sec rest

workout B:
    superset of deadlift and incline dumbbell bench press
    superset of bulgarian split squat and mixed grip lat pull down
    superset of romanian deadlift and swiss ball lateral roll

all exercises are 3 sets of 12 reps with a 60 sec rest

i alternate between the two almost every other day.

i am not saying its the best workout but it hits all the major muscle groups and uses all of the natural movements. (lift, squat, push, pull, twist, lunge)

other exercises (not just lifts) you might want to try are (and you can probably find any of these on youtube):

goblet squat
    weighted step ups
    shoulder press
    pushups
    burpees
    there are a ton more but just focus on hitting all of the natural movements and don't over train one muscle group without training equally the opposing one.

10. Yohan

If you're going to do intervals when running you need to be running sprint intervals. I would recommend 12 rounds 20 seconds sprint 40 seconds rest and work to decrease your rest time.

I don't stretch every day - I try to, but probably end up stretching 3-4 times a week.

I would work a 5 rep scheme for max effort lifts and a 12 rep scheme for supplemental lifts - read my fitness journal in my sig to see how I recommend doing workouts.

1/2 for maximal strength
    1/2 for endurance

11. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

I like that you've chosen to start with cardio. That really helps to loosen things up.

The next step would be stretching. I've learned that for any particular stretch, one minute is the minimum that should be spent in that position. As for the splits I recommend much longer.

As for your weight training, light weight is good for speed (but not too light) which I beleive takes priority over power training (not that it should be neglected). I'm not sure how long you've been weight training , but I suggest 4 sets per exercise to thouroughly work the muscle. If this becomes time consuming, try super-setting your exercises. ( work a different muscle gruop while resting between sets of another) This is a great aerobic routine as well

Hope i was helpful.

12. Yohan

Actually, strictly speaking, it's best to start with an active warmup. Cardio isn't a bad warmup, but I warm up before I run for extended distances to keep from hurting myself.

Stretching is best done when hot, and it's best not to do static stretching before lifting or doing anything that requires lots of strength.

That's not really the case. Lifting a sub maximal weight at high speeds can help to improve speed but it has to be part of a total training scheme, and I don't think this guy is quite getting into a 10 week, 5 phase training schedule that includes hypertrophy, power, maximal strength, speed, and deloading (there was one other too, I don't remember it).

In fact, If I'm not mistaken, lifting a submaximal load at high speeds actually helps to build power.

The number of sets you are doing has everything to do with the amount of volume your body can handle recovering from. If you are only doing weight lifting, lifting 5 sets 5 reps is a great choice. For me, I do weight lifting, conditioning (aerobic and anaerobic mostly these days), and martial arts, so I stick with a 3 set scheme - 5 reps for maximal strength, 12 for muscular endurance.

Yes, but don't superset maximal strength lifts, only the endurance/supplemental lifts should be done in a circuit.

Aerobic exercise is where your body is doing something repetitive for 12 minutes or more. My circuits don't break my anaerobic threshold.

13. sg516

i think the low rep for max effort is great for strength and hypertrophy but if you are doing a fat loss or a beginner (break-in) routine (which i think he is) i think its best to do a high rep workout then later move toward hypertrophy. but i think switching back to a fat loss routine after a hypertrophy and strength really helps. but either way i think both would give good results. my other concern with beginners doing low rep max effort is that if their form is bad (which it almost always is at first) they increase the chances of messing themselves up with heavierr weights. i may be wrong but thats my take. i would say do low weight high rep and work on form first.

also i just noticed. don't stretch before lifting. stretching after is fine but i have heard that its bad news to do it before hand. it might be old wives tales but its what i have always been told.

i don't necessarily agree. i think this is an outdated belief.

14. sg516

yohan, your post fu is much faster than mine. it must be the low rep workouts. haha. :p

15. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

I find that cardio is a decent warmup, I guess you have to find what works best for you. I agree that static stretching is best saved for after heavy weight lifting, but if you plan on practicing kicks for an extended period of time, stretching the legs should come first.

When it comes to weight lifting, speed and endurance should be your main concern. Using a lighter weight I like to perform 4 sets (or 3 if it suits you) with out even counting the reps , just repeat as quickly as you can until you can't anymore.

I wasn't aware of the technical definition of aerobics i just meant that super-setting keeps your heart rate up and allows for a more condensed workout.

16. Yohan

I agree with you on breaking in to the lifts and getting the form down. I forget that I have a coach to teach me lifts and spot me, and that it's a bit more difficult when you are on your own. Regarding the fat loss though, I've been lifting under hypertrophy parameters for 6 months and have lost 40 lbs, so I really think the hypertrophy parameters are good for fat loss.

Regarding the form though, you are absolutely right. The most important thing for a beginning lifter is to get the form down then worry about moving up weights. having somone who knows what to look for and spot you is invaluable.

Modern exercise science has proven your statement to be true.

LoL I'm hell on a keyboard.

17. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Ok based on your comments i'v revised it to this:

Cardio:

- 15 min rope jumping
    - 30 min running (inc. Intervall's)

Warmup:

- 5 min Shadow Boxing
    - 2 min Sword fighting (just something i like to play around with :p)

Stretching:

- 25 sec Side Split
    - 25 sec Front Split right leg
    - 25 sec front Split left leg
    - 25 sec Side Split
    - 25 sec Butterfly

Weight training:

Using 3.5kg dumbbells
    - 3 x 100 times Dumbbell Bicep Curl
    - 3 x 15 times Overhead Dumbbell Press
    - 3 x 10 times Small Arm Circle with Dumbbell (5 forward, 5 backward)
    - 3 x 15 Side Lateral Raise
    - 3 x 15 Dumbbell Flyes while standing

- 3 x ? Dumbbell Squat
    - 3 x ? Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
    - 3 x ? Standing Dumbbell Upright Row
    - 3 x ? One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    - 3 x ? Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row
    - 3 x ? Seated Flat Bench Leg Pull-In
    - 3 x ? One Arm Dumbbell Bench Press
    - 3 x ? Dumbbell Lunges
    - 3 x ? Goblet Squat
    - Pushups
    - Bending a similiar stick 2 times

Exercise's names taken from

http://www.worldcycling.com/graphics...avel_Stick.jpg

- 1 x 5 pulling out 2 springs attached to grips (pecs / bicep trainging)
    - 1 x 30 Crossed Sit-Up’s (when almost vertical bending elbows inward and tapping left knee with right elbow and right knee with left elbow)

MA Training:

+- 30 Min a day workout (inc. pads, footwork, technique, sparring and combinations)

2 x 3 min a day bag time full out (50kg bag)

I always used to do pushups but stopped doing them a while ago becouse of a wrist injury wich allowed me to only put limited pressure on the wrist but its fine again now so i'l add it. I'm still looking for a few good stretches to go with the one's i have now. And i'l lookup about the warming up thing to see how i can improve it. I dont know how much weight i'l use in the new excercises or how many reps i'l do have to see how it i'l go tonight :p.

18. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

i'd also like an indication for the new exercises wich one's i should do with the same ammount of weight and wich ones would have to be lighter / heavier.

19. Yohan

Yes. Were I you, I would give an athletic style warmup a go - it really helps me increase my performance.

Again - yes. I usually stretch before any kind of MA practice.

Essentially what you will do with this kind of exercise is build your lactic threshold - essentially lactic acid is going to build up in the muscle you are working. Eventually, the amount of lactic acid in the muscle will reach your lactic acid threshold - this is the point where the muscle will fail.

What you are doing with this type of exercise is increasing the lactic acid threshold and endurance of the muscle. This won't increase speep/power at all.

Well knowing is half the battle :D

I do loads of circuit training, it's been very beneficial for me.

20. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

oh i always do my stretching before MA practice and after weight training