All martial arts evolved from Kung fu?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by WhereMyRiceGo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

lol

Ya bakai that reminds me of medievil total war, a turnbased startegy game where u take over the world with oldschool units if u startoff in the middle east ull get hashishin assasins pretty early. The hashishin are used to assasinate generals, queens, emassadors(or something like that, forgot the name). Kinda reminded me of Ninja (im nub on japanese MAs no flaming plz)
    They wore all black robes in the middle of the desert if that aint hardcore I dunno what is ;)

Didnt think about the middle east till u mentioned it, same for greek and roman.

I think its safe to say that a bunch of MAs originated in different parts of the world, I mean think about it way back in the day all of us (humans) had the same needs (still do), hunting/fishing/defence vs other tribes/countries, so why shouldnt we (since were all human and mostly thought alike) developed MAs around the same time periods, give or take a couple of hundred maybe thousand years? (I'm far from a historian thats just my unedumacated guess :cool: )

From the Rainforest to Afrika they used spears and blowguns to hunt, same goes for bow and arrow in other parts of the world.

Lets not forget the spanish race, like the Mayas, Inkas and Aztecs their histories go way back aswell.

If you ask me theres no one original MA, this is one of the times where a Time-Mashine would be nice, more like predator style tho you wouldnt be allowed to beseen or intervene with anything (so u dont change History)you'd just sit there, watch and learn with TEH 1337 w@llh@x (ala AVP movie) and TEH ultimate camo (=

Just my 2 cents

2. Kraken

Kraken Valued Member

Kraken

Drahma taught sleeping monks exercises he learnt from Burma and india these later became known as shaolin kung fu ,The indians swapped martial knowledge with the armies of alexander the great ,Alexander in turn got his unarmed combat skills from spartan pancratists so really where ever the martial arts came from there older than the chinese empire itself and ''kung fu'' possibly has more european influence ,rather then being the first of its kind.

3. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

You're story falls apart at the very end, which is also the very beginning. "By the time of the rise of Alexander the Great in 336 BC, Sparta was a shadow of its former self, clinging to an isolated independency. She was eventually forced into the Achaean League." (quoted from wikipedia)

So how would Alexander learn true spartan hand to hand combat tactics after the spartans suffered their first and worst defeat at the Battle of Leuctra in 371 BC?? Also you fail to incorporate the fact the first prehistoric dynasty is said to be Xia (), from about the twenty-first to the sixteenth century B.C. Until scientific excavations were made at early bronze-age sites at Anyang ( ), Henan ( ) Province, in 1928, it was difficult to separate myth from reality in regard to the Xia. But since then, and especially in the 1960s and 1970s, archaeologists have uncovered urban sites, bronze implements, and tombs that point to the existence of Xia civilization in the same locations cited in ancient Chinese historical texts. At minimum, the Xia period marked an evolutionary stage between the late neolithic cultures and the typical Chinese urban civilization of the Shang dynasty.

A fanciful story, but unlikely sir. I encourage you to keep swimming... keep on swimming *swims away*

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  4. Kraken

Kraken Valued Member

Not all Martial arts spawned from china man,Not all Martial arts are even connected with ''Wushu'

5. TheDarkJester

What a coincidence... I agree with you..

But the key difference here is I didn't make up some grand story that sounds more akin to Hollywood fantasy than downright reality.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but its dead wrong from beginning to end.

The basic rule for everyone is that there is no single proto martial art. And every martial art, as a cultural product, is subject to "bleed" (influence from other cultures). There is no pure art and there is no root art.

Period.

Beyond that we can get into this issues of the Damo myth and the fact that martial arts in China predates his supposed visit by centuries.

- Matt

7. Kraken

Kraken Valued Member

Watch UFC 2 it explains the origins of kung fu there......theres lots of myths from where kung fu originated thats just ne i heard geez

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

OK, let;s be realistic for a few seconds, ok.

First of all, the UFC is hardly the pre-eminent source for all things martial arts. Anything which was said, especially in the early tourneys is suspect.

Secondly, there are a lot of myths out there, yes. So how about we stop perpetuating them, k?

Third, most arts we as KF stylists practice now may have roots spanning centuries, but historically speaking, the only history which really counts is the last 100 years or so. I don't care if Ghengis Khan practiced Shuai Jiao; I am more concerned with how it's practiced today that whther or not it's 800 years old.

9. TheDarkJester

Ease up turbo.. I think the man knows by now that to spout off inconsistent inaccurate information about any martial art here will get called out and smashed quickly. No need to jump down his throat and out his chest.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Hey, just following the bloody mess that is your lead, DJ. Remember, I'm like a shot of wild turkey followed by a shot of everclear.... I burn like hell going down, but damn I speak the truth :p

11. TheDarkJester

That you are... *nods*

I wonder what liquor I could be equated to? *strokes goatee*
    Eh.. *shrugs* Time for nightly exercise/stretch.

12. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

India has one of the oldest civilizations in the world... eg indus valley civilization.. whicich i think is about 4500 years old. The problem with India - same with china- was that it was never an united nation till 1947... It was always a nation divided by small kingdoms.. each with its own ruler.

13. dimmak

dimmak Banned Banned

I think grappling was the first MA for most civilizations.

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

china was united way before 1947.

btw, i saw a misguided post about pankration being around since 5 b.c. try 5th century b.c.

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Actually, many China scholars will question if its actually united now. But that's a cultural historical issue.

From a boundaries perspective, even that has been pretty fluid. Korea (both north and south) have often been included within China from time to time.

- Matt

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

To back and reread this thread, thanks. In its entirety. Come back with some valid historical sources, then we can talk. Until then, the last thing this thread needs is more bald assertions with nothing backing them up, it's what started this monster in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  17. Kraken

Kraken Valued Member

Ancient indian styles such as Varjramushti and Kalaripaarit are said to be the main influences on gung fu.......there also alot more bloody

18. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

i think martial arts as traditional systems of fighting started with china. its the oldest known one, i dont really count nameless tribes people dont know about.

19. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

Jujutsu is native to Japan, it had no influence from chinese MA.

The only MA that was in Japan that took some influence from Chinese MA is Ninjutsu. When the Tang Dynasty fell in China, chinese refugees fled to the koga and iga regions of japan, bringing some kung-fu knowledge with them, even then they incorporated jujutsu in their curriculum.

Most Japanese MA took influence from traditional jujutsu (Judo, Aikido). Even some Korean MAs such as Hapkido is based off of a japanese MA called Diato-ryu Aikijujutsu.

Wrestling also took no influence from chinese MA.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  20. TheDarkJester

No? None at all?? So you're saying that Jujitsu is not derived from Qinna (Chin Na), the chinese method of joint locking, misplacing joints and bones, as well as separating tendons and muscles to immobilize the opponent? That Okinawan karate does not have its roots in White Crane kung fu?? And that not Even Judo (japanese wrestling) looks strangely enough like Shuai Jiao (chinese wrestling), taking out the throws that don't allow for a breakfall, made to torque/crank the neck or other body parts upon ground impact, is strictly a japanese invention?? Shall I go on and list off a few more?

Its really quite painfully obvious you've done little to no research on the topic. My money is leaning on the "no research done" honestly.

Last edited: May 1, 2006