Ali vs taller outfighter?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Did Mohammad Ali ever fight another out-fighter who was significantly taller than himself?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Would you say Foreman was an 'outfighter' - I dunno, but he was a one big fella!

Henry Cooper may have been taller, and he did have some modicum of succes against Ali in their fight - but again I'm not sure about classing him as an 'outfighter'. Don't really know enough about these guys overall styles spread over their careers tbh..

Curious, why you asking?

3. Gong_Sau_Rick

Foreman (and Cooper) is still around Ali's height though I'm looking for a significant height difference, I don't think there's been one.

Ali is one of the greatest outfighters of all time (I literally can't think of anyone better), all other factors remaining constant, the taller the opponent is, the harder it is to outfight. I'm just wondering how Ali would have adapted or changed his style to accommodate a significantly taller opponent.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ali wasnt just a good out fighter, 'rope a dope' anyone?

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yea... I'll have some dope with me rope please!:D

6. Gong_Sau_Rick

Yeah, but 'rope a dope' is more of a strategy than a style of boxing/fighting.

7. Hiroji

i suppose, but its not a skill an out fighter would use in an out fighter style usually.

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I think Ali would have troubles with someone built like Thomas Hearns.

Unfortunately there was no heavyweight 7 foot tall Thomas Hearns.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It's a "skill" totally dependent on one's trainer sneaking in the night before and loosening the ropes up a great deal.Ask Angelo!

As to Ali's adaptation to a significantly longer opponent-hit and run/stick and move/counter punching-if opponent weaker/less powerful then he goes/stays inside more.

Pretty much standard options for anyone.

10. Hiroji

Good point!

11. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Realistically you have to think how Ali would do against Valuev?

in my opinion Ali would beat him easily, either by mid rd ko or win every round and take a unam decision..

it would be very hard to outfight with Ali..

12. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Ali before he was stripped of his titles anyway :)

13. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i think ali was like 6 4 so i dont think too many heavyweights where taller...then and even now......and veryfew good ones are taller lenex lewis comes to mind but aside from some circus acts primo back in the day and valauv now