Algerian Military Kuk Sool??

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Out-to-Lunch, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

am i going insane or are they counting in japanese?

3. WixSaNym

WixSaNym New Member

:jawdrop: WoW!!! That is some of the most crazy stuff I have seen in a while.
    For some reason I had a strange post-apocalyptic vison of the future. :cyborg:
    With cyborg kuk sool militants. :woo: That's so crazy! LOL!

4. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

They say you can tell your brothers in martial arts by their moves; there wasn't much there I could recognise as Kuk Sool. Nice to see the Juel Bong featured, although I must admit I've never actually seen a gun in any Kuk Sool display before. They certainly looked fit though! Nice star display at the end; very creative.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

they mentioned kuk sool at the beginning, but they also seemed to say karate twice, and they were definitely counting in japanese (you can clearly hear "ichi, ni, san" numerous times during the drills)

6. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Note the red star in their flag and that the guys doing the star formation had on red sweatshirts (the red, green, & white sweatshirts were, no doubt, in reference to the flag colors and not any indication of belt/grade/geup IMO).

I agree. Although I've never seen too many other MA groups use the "catch belt with index fingers pointed" attention posture other than KSW, the shirtless dudes seemed to do this quite a bit. Doing high kicks with heavy combat boots isn't easy, let alone executing control with said kicks -- so kudos to these highly trained men (also for falling/rolling on the hard pavement).

As for the *counting in Japanese* it's quite possible that despite Kuk Sool being mentioned (my Algerian isn't too good, so no telling what was actually said), that this display may be more akin to an Algerian version of MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program - see this MAP thread), so if some drill instructor in their program had a strong JMA background, I can't slight him for any 'old habits.'

7. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

But we put our hands like that on our BELTS when we are in our martial arts do-bok, and not when we have no belt or are in street clothes, so it was a very strange connection to Kuk Sool.
    They were in very good shape and gave a good demonstration of their skills.

Yes, it is possible they mentioned a dozen other martial arts in that voice over as ones the men had experience in, but all I heard was "Kuk Sool".

8. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I've seen this gesture misconstrued before, so I guess that's why I picked up on it. If they were *cherry-picking* assorted MA skills from various styles, as I suggested with the reference to the MCMAP, it might explain a lot...

Thoughts?