Alexander vs Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Razgriz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Watched a documentary series on Alexander last night, got me thinking about these two individuals.

I must admit I have always been a fan of Alexander, his ability to see things others could not.
    His ability to inspire his men, and his respect for many different peoples regardless of their religion. Though after a certain point there are two different accounts of the same man. I did not know until recently Alexader was known as the accursed in Iran. And many believe he actually had 2 horn shape lumps through his head.

Caesar on the other hand, fought against huge Gallic and German peoples who had never been conquered by the Romans. The people of Gaul were brave and brutal. At the battle of Alesia against Vercingetorix, Caesar, while besieging the Gallic leader, was surrounded by a huge Gallic army, which some accounts place at as large as 100,000 men. Caesar, with his force of 50,000, fought off both the surrounding army and the large force that he was besieging. In a great battle, Caesar annihilated the surrounding force and sacked Alesia, ending the war. Although against the Gauls he had superior troops with the legionaries, in the Roman Civil War he completely annihilated a Roman force which outnumbered him three to one and was led by Pompey the Great, one of Romes greatest generals.

But was killed as we all know. Were as Alexander though having to make many concessions (allowing his men to take the women they encountered with them on their journey) died due to bacteria from what he drank. (There is a theory that he was poisoned but this unlikely)

So who was the greater leader, general and King?
    Also were both Ceasar and Alexander serf’s to their men as so many generals are? Or did the men rely on their inspirational leadership and vision?

Razgriz

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

slightly off topic....but if you've never read this book, check it out.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Roman-Republic-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140449345?tag=duckduckgo-d-20"]Fall of the Roman Republic (Penguin Classics): Plutarch, Robin Seager, Rex Warner: 9780140449341: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I smiled when I saw this, two of my favorite historical figures :) the way I see it, Alexander the Great was a better tactician and warrior, but he was nothing compared to the intelligence and politics of Julius Caesar.

Alexander the Great conquered in a short time an enormous amount of territory. He was also fighting empires as opposed to barbarians. The Persian empire, wich was the most powerful in the world, fell to him. Without the use of a navy, he fought through the middle easy, Egypt, and all the way to India. Being one of the few conquerors who won against India.

Julius Caesar on the other hand, was the man who created the Roman Empire as we now remember it. Not only did he extend true roman citizenship to those outside of Italy, effectively turning the empire from a band of city states to a monolithic nation. But he also unified the tax code so the local governors could no longer take advantage of the people. He also revolutionized the welfare system in Rome as well as the calendar.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Maybe one of the episodes of "Most Dangerous Warrior" pairs them up?
    I don't mean that sarcastically. That tv show has some really cool match-ups. This one might actually be in one of the episodes. (I have some doubts about how the producers score the fights, but that's not really important.)