Aldo injured

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Conor's? Pure grappling or as utilised under the MMA ruleset?

The only thing I've ever come across could hardly pass as relevant due to it being three years ago ( a 2012 no-gi with Kywan Gracie Behring ) when he was a purple so it hardly bears linking.

Warn't McG supposed to have competed in a IBJJF no-gi in Rome earlier this year?

4. Dead_pool

5. Dead_pool

The purple belt match is a good study on posture in guard.

Iirc he didn't compete this year, possibly due to his knee injury.

6. Mushroom

Sorry. I did mean in a MMA context. As said though I haven't seen (or at least remember) any of his Cage Rage fights, so it could've been different there.

Apparently like Bisping, he has awesome ground game...its just that he hasn't had to use it much due to their striking and takedown defense.

Regardless though, the fight happened, both guys weren't 100% (but who is?) And it was still entertaining. I still think it was weird that Mendes just got up with both his hands down and ate 2 hands when he was pretty dominant on the ground. But lots of factors to think about that we the public will never really know.

7. Mushroom

https://youtu.be/lkjwIZhT5hg

My friend just found this for me.
    A vast contrast of what Connor was and what he is now. Crazy considering its only been like a few years difference.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That was interesting, to say the least. (BTW, I like Duffy) Conor obviously learns from his defeats and makes the necessary adjustments.

Not surprising the ego-mania hadn't taken root at that time in his career, in public at least.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

In fairness his coach, John Kavanagh, doesn't get enough credit. He is an amazing coach. The level of MMA and BJJ athletes he's producing in Ireland is unreal.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I rolled with John Kavanagh in a cage years back. :)
    It was at an Eddie Bravo seminar at Quannum and he just came up and asked to roll which I thought was odd.
    I obliged anyway. He tapped me obviously.
    It turned out that because I was wearing a "combatbase" rash guard he thought I was fellow SBG jiu jitsu coach (at that time anyway) Darren Currie. Heh.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Finally got round to seeing the fight (spent the weekend and a bit in leeds at europes strongest man)

Fair play to Conor the guy has power and can take a shot, his escapes on the ground were good although mendes looked over eager to get a sub finish, whether its because he was hurt or because he knew he didn’t have the gas to last 5 round is any ones guess

As for the fight, well neither guy was 100% by the sound of it but there was no way mendes was in shape for 5 rounds, I know team Alpha male pride themselves on staying in shape year round, but there’s a difference between being in shape and being fight ready, having a proper weight cut and the gas for 25 minutes. He also didn’t look fight sharp standing in front of conor not angling or moving well, Im sure those body kicks didn’t help his cause but I doubt a fight ready mendes would have been that flat footed

But then what was mendes going to say, no thanks I don’t want a title shot im fit but not ready??

Still Conor accepted the fight change at short notice, and finished the guy in two rounds, impressive